DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini signal strength boosters?

So for those of us in Canada, which version of the 4Hawks is recommended -- the US version or the non-US version? I asked the manufacturer but their answer was vague.

US version if your controllers model number is MR1SS5

there are two versions. One is 2.4ghz and 5.8ghz and the other is a 5.8ghz only with larger antennas inside.

where are you finding the US version?

Last edited:
Reactions: KarMann
If you haven't already, one big difference for CE versions is locking it into a 2.4 GHz frequency. The listed range for 5.8 GHz on the CE version is 500 m, but for 2.4 GHz, it's 2000 m (thanks to an extra 5 dB transmission power). If you're in WiFi-congested areas, you might still be better off with the 5.8, but once I realised this, I locked it into channel 13 (unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be an option to select either 2.4 or 5.8 but still let it choose the least-congested channel within that band). However, I haven't gotten to fly it much since then the way the weather's been here, but that little bit I have flown seems promising.

Yep, that's the model I have.

On the 4Hawks website they list two versions (US and regular) for both the SR and XR: 4Hawks – drone’s range extender antennas.

Now I need to decide between the SR and XR.

Yep, that's the model I have.

On the 4Hawks website they list two versions (US and regular) for both the SR and XR: 4Hawks – drone’s range extender antennas.

Now I need to decide between the SR and XR.

ok if you’re is the fcc us model then that’s the one you want because the US SR version has the 4.2 antennas removed which makes room for them to put the XR 5.8 antennas in it.

the XR is huge compared to the SR size. I think the XR is close to 8” wide or something. It dwarfs the controller. And the US version has the XR antennas in it anyway.

If you are in US or Canada and have remote MR1SS5 best bet is to get an antenna with amplifier, antennas only might help to clear out the signal, etc but might not give you big range improvement if any. 4Hawks sell antenna only, you might be disappointed with the range if you have FCC remote.
Instead of spending $ twice go for ALIENTECH PRO 5.8G setup. Or DIY kit pick 5.8 antenna (directional or omni directional) and 5.8 amplifier. Visit Hardware Mod forum for good tips, DYI setups, and already made kits. Also, all kinds of tests performed so you don't have to do it.

I think general consensus is to go with amp and a specific antenna.
If you are into modding yourself, those 5.8 amps are good value for 5W:

There are stronger amps, but while more expensive, they will not give you as much more range (diminishing results) If you get 5W remember, 10W will not double your range, while it might cost 3 times more.

I have done some more extensive tests and confirmed that you want two boosters for maximum signal strength.

First I connected my rf meter to the "to radio" side of the booster connected to the receive only antenna. I checked the power level with the booster turned off and then powered up the booster and got a substantial increase in power.

Next I set the drone 100 feet or so away from me outside and then took the receiver inside the house and moved to a location where the drone disconnected from the app and got a blank screen. I then powered up the receive only booster and bam, the video came back up on the screen.

Reactions: Mrveronn
Did you connect 2 boosters or only one to the receive only antenna?
As you have rf meter, can you pls confirm that only one antenna - transmitter? Because according this document both should transmit, about 24dB (if i understand the table on page 6 correctly)

Did you connect 2 boosters or only one to the receive only antenna?
As you have rf meter, can you pls confirm that only one antenna - transmitter? Because according this document both should transmit, about 24dB (if i understand the table on page 6 correctly)

mine booster on each antenna. Yes I have confirmed myself with power meter and with DJI themselves. For me the right antenna (closest to power button) is TX/RX and left antenna is RX only.

I just flew mine out over 12,000 feet from my back yard to the ocean!

0E840F66-0CA7-408B-A455-630A70AE92BB.jpeg27101E96-F9B8-40FC-9BCB-3C5F2F8B787C.png
3C568AE1-6693-4F5A-A790-18678A9EA850.jpeg

Reactions: RogerDH
mine booster on each antenna. Yes I have confirmed myself with power meter and with DJI themselves. For me the right antenna (closest to power button) is TX/RX and left antenna is RX only.

I just flew mine out over 12,000 feet from my back yard to the ocean!

View attachment 95445

Impressive! I live in a similar neighborhood as you near the ocean but can't get much past 1/2 a mile with the stock controller.

Do you think boosting the other side antenna definitely helped?

After the 4Hawks SR is already installed, how much work is it to install the boosters?

Thanks.

Impressive! I live in a similar neighborhood as you near the ocean but can't get much past 1/2 a mile with the stock controller.

Do you think boosting the other side antenna definitely helped?

After the 4Hawks SR is already installed, how much work is it to install the boosters?

Thanks.

still kind of hard to tell the amount of improvement from rx only booster. I thinkit makes the street smoother though. But I know for sure it is working from my tests.

There’s nothing to installing them u ya I’m just connect the antenna to one side and the radio to the other.

still kind of hard to tell the amount of improvement from rx only booster. I thinkit makes the street smoother though. But I know for sure it is working from my tests.

There’s nothing to installing them u ya I’m just connect the antenna to one side and the radio to the other.

Thanks, any idea how your setup might compare to this? It's basically an all in one amplified 5.8 Hawks SR antenna.

Attachments

• amplifiedSR.jpg
    amplifiedSR.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 85
Also you can download a modded DJI fly app to switch the drone from CE (0.1W transmission) to FCC (0.4W transmission), therefore increasing the signal strength fourfold. This is what I have done with my m1p and the strength and 'video smoothness' have increased by far.
WHERE CAN I GET IT?

@Sideburn I'm researching the 4Hawks and close to pulling the trigger on a Raptor SR for my CE Mavic Pro (Possibly Mini too, depending on results).
I'm more interested in signal strength than range, particularly if flying where there's potential for signal congestion.
In the pic above is that some sort of amplifier enhancing the your 4Hawks, did you source this yourself?
How would I put something similar together - if there's a link you can point me too somewhere I'm happy to do some homework, but any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

@Sideburn I'm researching the 4Hawks and close to pulling the trigger on a Raptor SR for my CE Mavic Pro (Possibly Mini too, depending on results).
I'm more interested in signal strength than range, particularly if flying where there's potential for signal congestion.
In the pic above is that some sort of amplifier enhancing the your 4Hawks, did you source this yourself?
How would I put something similar together - if there's a link you can point me too somewhere I'm happy to do some homework, but any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Yes, my setup is the FCC version so I have 5.8ghz only. Because of this I have the USA version of the 4hawks antenna which only contains (larger) 5.8 antennas inside.

as for the amps, I’m using the 5.8 only version of the Sunhans 2W amplifiers which, for some reason costs more ?

so if you are going CE you should get the dual 2.4 / 5.8 4hawks antenna (you can find it on eBay or directly through 4hawks):

CE version:Raptor SR

FCC version:Raptor SR US

And the amps I use are Sunhans. They are more compact and can run on a thin usb powerbank. There is a cheaper amp some people use but it is bulkier and needs 12v to power it. But the specs say it is 5 watts though vs 2watts.

Sunhans 2.4ghz: Amazon.com: Sunhans eSunRC 3000mW 2.4Ghz 35dBm WiFi Signal Booster Compatible with DJI, Yuneec, 3DR, XIRO,Parrot, JTT and Blade Drones: Toys & Games

Sunhans 5.8ghz: Amazon.com: Sunhans eSunRC 5.8GHz 2000mW 33dBm Wireless Signal Booster WIFI Amplifier Repeater Extender Compatible with DJI RC Drones Yuneec, UAV, Holy Stone, Potensic and More Other Drones: Computers & Accessories

thin dual USB port powerbank:Amazon.com: Triple USB Outputs Super Slim Power Bank Ultra Thin, Attom Tech 5000mAh Mini Portable Charger External Phone Battery Pack Small Dual USB Outlet, Emergency Phone Power Backup: Attom Tech

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Alternative booster (I have not tried this one but I’ve seen others use it) :

2.4ghz / 4W: Buy Products Online from China Wholesalers at Aliexpress.com

5.8ghz / 5W: Buy Products Online from China Wholesalers at Aliexpress.com

Reactions: MavicNovice
Yes, my setup is the FCC version so I have 5.8ghz only. Because of this I have the USA version of the 4hawks antenna which only contains (larger) 5.8 antennas inside.

as for the amps, I’m using the 5.8 only version of the Sunhans 2W amplifiers which, for some reason costs more ?

so if you are going CE you should get the dual 2.4 / 5.8 4hawks antenna (you can find it on eBay or directly through 4hawks)...
Excellent write up @Sideburn, very comprehensive and I'm sure will be useful to more than just me so thanks for the effort.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242