DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini Twilight Wet Suits - New Product !

Lol, no I don't think the suit for the mini is to keep it warm. It's very simple, I like the product name, you dislike the name. I could care less what reason some might want to purchase them for. I simply purchased them for aesthetics, because I like the look of them on MM.

I know what a wet suit is thank you. However, if you are calling it that does it actually keep the craft warm? Or what?

Dont be alarmed about the name Wet Suit as it much more fitting than you think it is.
The Phantom 4 - Phantom 4 Pro - Phantom 4 Pro advanced also have Wet Suits that go with the Phantom Rescue Jackets that can land and go in the water see Phantomrain.org website for many videos.

The Mavic 2 Wet Suits also have that ability using the Sea lander Jackets , see website for that also as they land in the water.

The Wet Suits keep the Mavic 2 / Phantom battery 6 to 8 degrees warmer as they create an air tight seal on the battery.

So the fact that we use the closed cell neoprene and temp change and water resistance , Wet Suit has been justified by the thousands.

Phantomrain.org
Coal

On the bottom of the Mavic Mini Wet Suits is what I call a surge mask, this protects the Two Sensors from rain , snow or debris or reflections which can cause problems for those sensors. The masks creates a deeper well which protects those sensors and its immediate environment .

Its unfortunate that the sensors cannot be turned off so it made sense to protect the sensors as reflections over the water have already proven fatal on this forum . Not to mention rain or snow or ice.

We used the same setup on the Mavic 2 and the Phantom 4 Surge masks and it worked beautifully .
Will post more pictures soon.

Phantomrain.org
Elite gear for your Drones.
Coal

Reactions: c0int31pr0
Does this skin protect the weakest link in the drone: Exposed not covered motors, if the water gets there, the drone might get damaged.

The skin increases weight and changes aerodynamic profile if anything it might handicap the drone in extreme conditions. Since battery lasts less in extreme conditions eg 20min handicapping it by a minute as you suggested equals to 5% battery performance decrease. Also makes it totally illegal in Canada without pilot licence.

Let's call it what it is: colourful Mavic Mini skin for a drone, tradeoff to look cool 5% of battery time, and it should be everyone's individual decisions if they are ready for the trade-off or not.

There is huge market for all kinds of skins for phones, watches, cars, camera, ipads etc.
Why adding all other claims that seem so hard if not impossible to prove, also people might lose their bird if they decide to fly in “extreme conditions” thinking this wet suit will protect them.

btw I flew MM in light rain, snow, -4C and 50km/h wind, over the reflective water without a skin, battery was doing fine, sensors were doing fine as well.

* Changes the look of the Drone.

I really like nee colour skin idea it makes young generation happy, and thats fine, but lets face it above wet suite will not turn MM in to rescue drone.

"" Does this skin protect the weakest link in the drone: Exposed not covered motors, if the water gets there, the drone might get damaged. ""

So first I would recommend you go to the website we have called Phantomrain.org and see first hand why the motors our not the weakest link, not even close.

Flying drones in extreme weather is all we have ever done , so we know whats possible in the rain, snow , hail and extreme winds , from the DJI drones.

I think that that weight issue 249 is much more directed at DJI Corp sales and supply chains world wide and not the individual.

I cant see a kid who puts his favorite sticker on top of his drone being taken away in handcuffs or a hefty fine . Nope not buying into that ,

To confirm my suspicions i did make a few calls and the answers were vague at best.

I made a few calls to the FAA , about stickers, 0.05 oz and led lights and the answer were probably not.

If the FAA does issue a no sticker warning , than it will be time to pull back, but honestly life is better with common sense .

* Changes the look of the drone , important when you have two people flying there mini's together trust me .
^ Protects the battery door from coming loose , those lids are fragile as them come.
# Protects the SD card from falling out , something that has already happened on the forum
# Protects the Sensors on the bottom of the Drone which determine your fate , no getting around that.

This has nothing to do with the younger generation and everything to do with securing what was vulnerable on the Mavic Mini and why I decided to make the wet suit for it ,

Phantomrain.org
Elite Gear for your drone .

Last edited:
Does this wet suit mean you can land in water and all is OK? If not wet suit is not the best description!
Ya, I kinda gotta agree. While in reality a wet suit may not keep a person dry (wouldn't know... never worn one), the name does imply a high degree of waterproofness.

Reactions: Dronedevices
I really like nee colour skin idea it makes young generation happy, and thats fine, but lets face it above wet suite will not turn MM in to rescue drone.

I hate to do this but your so off the mark .

You have to consider it small profile , its extended flight time and how fast you can deliver the footage while your flying that makes this a great little search / rescue tool .

Phantomrain.org
Coal

Last edited:
Does this skin protect the weakest link in the drone: Exposed not covered motors, if the water gets there, the drone might get damaged.

The skin increases weight and changes aerodynamic profile if anything it might handicap the drone in extreme conditions. Since battery lasts less in extreme conditions eg 20min handicapping it by a minute as you suggested equals to 5% battery performance decrease. Also makes it totally illegal in Canada without pilot licence.

Let's call it what it is: colourful Mavic Mini skin for a drone, tradeoff to look cool 5% of battery time, and it should be everyone's individual decisions if they are ready for the trade-off or not.

There is huge market for all kinds of skins for phones, watches, cars, camera, ipads etc.
Why adding all other claims that seem so hard if not impossible to prove, also people might lose their bird if they decide to fly in “extreme conditions” thinking this wet suit will protect them.

btw I flew MM in light rain, snow, -4C and 50km/h wind, over the reflective water without a skin, battery was doing fine, sensors were doing fine as well.

* Changes the look of the Drone.

I like your comment and agree with you! I fly mine in low temperatures in Iceland and have had no problems if the batteries are kept warm before using.

So is the price $20, or $59.95 for Forum members?

"Forum members Discount $59.95 They will retail on the Website for $79.95"

So is the price $20, or $59.95 for Forum members?

"Forum members Discount $59.95 They will retail on the Website for $79.95"

Well, I paid $59.95 for mine. And some additional shipping cost to Canada. Hope that helps.

Well, I paid $59.95 for mine. And some additional shipping cost to Canada. Hope that helps.
Wow! He led us to believe the price was $20, based upon "Forum Members Discount $59.95" ! It certainly didn't say discounted price of $59.95!
Definitely not worth it, for a $399 drone, where DJI Refresh is only $39!
You could replace the entire drone for that price, under Refresh, even with the deductible!
Most importantly, adding it puts it OVER the 249g exemption both in the U.S. and internationally, which is the Mini's primary selling feature!

Last edited:
$20 off the retail price of $79.95 for mavicpilots is a reasonable discount and very supportive of this forum in general. Marketing relies on supply and demand. If this product had the support of a 'deep pockets' sponsor then eventually the price would be lower...mass production and all...but for the volume of sales and cost to produce...I suspect the margin is justified. And we're in a capitalistic market...if someone else can do it cheaper, or better, then let them jump in and prove that they can do it better and cheaper. There are no barriers to entry in this market. Don't tell us you can do it cheaper or better...SHOW us.

Yes, a few grams over. But very unlikely to be prosecuted if you are flying with due care and attention. If a pilot is not conducting safe operations then they will lose the argument when/if confronted by police or other authorities (e.g. park/municipal). It will be a risk I am prepared to take. But I am also studying for the basic certificate and am also prepared to register my drone with Transport Canada...better to be in compliance in the long run. I am using the drone for my personal projects and don't intend to use this commercially, but who knows maybe I will move onto the advanced certificate. This drone is highly portable and meets my performance and video quality needs...

I look forward to evaluating the effectiveness of the Phantomrain 'wet suit' for the mavic mini, and believe it will give me a better chance of having my drone survive an unforeseen rain squall here on the west cost of Canada. I am not going out looking to survive an 'extreme' event … and I fully accept the risk of damaging my drone, although I hope to find that the product gives adequate protection, and that I will be able to competently apply the product according to the instructions. I intend to respect the protections that this offers to minimize my risk of damage.

And I've done this with other products. For example one product that allowed me to operate a video camera under water to 3 meters. It was 'water proof' bag---but you had to operate the product carefully and check its gaskets, and sealing mechanism carefully for wear and damage before submerging. And I've used other products with IP67 and other rated categories...you use them with caution and respect the protection that they offer...and you accept the fact that occasionally they will fail and you will have to pay to replace your device. They come from bigger companies, but they offered no replacement cost for damage. You pay your money and you take your chance.

If there was a comparable product out there I would be diligently comparing features, cost and reviews and then making my decision on which to purchase. In this case Coal has done a substantial amount of work to bring this 'wet suit' product to market. A notable achievement and one that is unlikely to make the Dragon's Den unless sales go through the roof. Hmmm, pun intended?

I have immense respect for entrepreneurs, who spend considerable time and effort, often at great personal cost, to bring their inventions/services to market. Do they fail..? Often. Do they get rich? Occasionally. I just hope they make a decent return on their efforts, and that they produce a product that does what they intend to achieve. Lets challenge them when they fall short, and praise them when they improve.

Are you type of person who likes back-seat drivers? What about arm-chair quarterbacks? I am not a fan of those, especially when I do it myself. I believe that nay-sayers add little to the discussion. All the negatively is just noise to wade through to try and discern if there is a germ of an idea on how to improve the service/product. You try to understand and sometimes realize that they are just trolling. Self-pleasure at the expense of others. So easy to be negative. Why not up the challenge and offer constructive feedback/criticism. Civil discourse removes the noise and focuses on the idea or problem, and contributes to making something better. Not something we often see in Canada's politics...shame.

In any case, will be happy to share my experience once I get the product installed and a chance to evaluate.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom