DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini vs. Mavic Air

Here are my thoughts on the Mini.

I just bought one. I'm strictly a recreational pilot. I don't shoot video or do anything like that.
I've taken some pictures of the family and friends at the river and all.

I bought a zoom and have really enjoyed the hobby. I've flown over 130 flights and have over 20 hours of flight time on the zoom.
I flew rc airplanes with my dad when I was a kid.
Unfortunately, I don't use the machine to its full capabilities or even 25 % of them. I've done all the tricks to it and have it set up for atti mode and uncapped sport mode.
I've gotten it to go over 50 mph... its fun, I seem to loose interest, its almost too automatic for me. I like atti mode a lot. In my case, the zoom might be too much drone for me, just to goof around with....as a toy....

I've been looking for a smaller drone, but didn't really find anything I wanted to spend money on. I wanted to build one, but that's way too expensive.
I fly vlos in a park and around my house. The neighbors complain all the time...
I think the mini will suit my needs much better than the zoom. I apparently don't need all the fancy features of the other models. I like the fact that there is no FAA registration required for it and I like the small size.

I figure I should be able to sell the zoom, buy a mini and have some cash left over. Sure I loose money on the deal, but, whatever...

skydog

Reactions: Stogies
I believe I can offer something up for this debate. I live in Japan where they can be pretty restrictive about drones. Japan is pretty much scared of anything. One bad apple doesn’t spoil the bunch here. One bad apple literally means cut the whole got dayum tree down. Telling you my story might help you understand why the Mavic Mini was created, IMO.

I love flying. I want to go different places, capture different scenes, and create content for my YouTube channel related to my interests. I purchased a Mavic Air. LOVE IT! However, through media and press, drones have a pretty bad image. Old Japanese men with too much free time on their hands believe they are society’s manner police. People will accost you if they see you “flying”.

I want to be the best though. I want to stay on the right side of the law. I went to Drone School Japan and got my JStar 1 license. This was a 1,000 USD. The drone was just shy of a 1,000 USD ( at that time ). Liability insurance is free for one year here but I still bought the DJI Refresh package.

Then when I want to fly my drone in Japan, I need to use the Ministry of Infrastructure, Land and Transportation’s DIPS website. Register your drone, submit pictures of the device, and pictures of your license. When I’m ready to go film I need to apply 2 weeks in advance if I’m worried I may be in a restricted area, such as high population density.

HOLD ON, not finished yet. Furthermore, I have to file a post-flight report. It’s very bureaucratic here.

OH by the way, it rained that day so I have to do it all over again!

We can see how this may not be enjoyable. We can see how troublesome it may be to fly a drone. Then there’s public opinion that they might be dangerous ( Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse ). The media is certainly not helping.

Then there are products that make the whole product line look cheap. For example, the Tello. I have one. Cute, love it. Once you think you can do anything real with it ( Drones Suck ). That is not my opinion of course. Fortunately, most drone pilots here know the difference and what is what. Tello is the new Hot Wheels Drone that your son can fly across the room and hit a vase.

I FINALLY get to the Mavic Mini. I want to get one! I need a backup for the times when the opportunity and shot is about to present itself. You can’t plan the perfect shot of Mt. Fuji 2 weeks in advance. You’d have a better chance winning the lottery.

Also, I want to shut the haters down. It’s “bureaucratically” no longer a drone drone. It’s a toy drone that they haven’t written legislation for yet. Next the “No Drone” signs will come.

To us, the tech level of the Mavic Mini fails in comparison to the drones we already own. However, to someone who is just starting out this is PERFECT. They may fall in love with flying drones. That in turn leads to upgrades, the hobbyist, wanting a bigger drone and even going all the way to get a license.

I think the challenge for DJI in the future will be to add purpose to their line-up so customers can clearly recognize the right device for them.

Right now, I’m not distracted by Mavic Mini’s debut. Not in the least. I AM ABSOLUTELY CONCERNED if DJI is going to stop support for the Mavic Air.

The Mavic Air is their Ryu, their Pac-Man, the Super Mario of their product line. It’s the most solid drone they have IMO. I could sit there and watch that thing hover in one position for a whole battery. I wish BOEING 737s could be as stable as this thing.

FINAL Thought: We should be vigilant and watch how DJI, a now very successful company, supports it’s customers. Someday a new Mavic Air will come. Until then how will they treat us.

Yeah, I think DJI are masters in creating new niches and placing products in there that we didn't even know we wanted.
From the specs it seems obvious that the Mini will not be a competitor to the Air, all I wonder is: will it be a competitor to the Spark? I am a little bit concerned that they dumbed down the whole photography part to a level where it will just be a point and shoot experience. On the other hand, the Spark is already like that, and I love it for that.

On a side note; it seems to be a consensus that the whole "gesture control" of the Spark is more a gimmick than a real usable feature, and I for one am not at all disappointed to see that it has not found it's way to the Mini. Same with the object avoidance; I am really happy that it saved my Mav's one or two times from horrible crashes, but mostly it is just an annoyance that it completely ruined shots when flying into the sun and detecting that as an "object". I am looking forward to discovering whether I will find the Mini's feature set too simplified, or gloriously simple.
I am also curious why 249 grams is such a big deal. In the US, it takes all of 2 minutes to register and costs $5 for three years, which is presumably longer than anyone will own this drone. I don't get it.
I suppose it’s the the thought that “the man” has more info on you

Doesn’t have to be registered but it’s by default transmitting out all information of where it and you are at all times.

Well Guyz and Galz, I'm sitting here looking at all my drones. Yes, it's quite a collection.... I need to replace one (1) yes just one...I'm going to swap 1 out with the Mavic Mini. So I'm comparing apples to apples and orange and orange. I started with the Mavic 2 Zoom....No..... Mavic Pro Platinum......No....Mavic Air......No...... Spark.....No.....Autel Evo......No.....Tello......Yes.... the Tello runs the closest.... Yes the MM goes further...much at that...The MM has a better camera than the Tello...Well, the closest apples to apples in comparison in my collection is the Tello....

I don't "get" the Mini at all. If size, transportability and convenience are main drivers of this drone, why the heck would you not make it controllable via cell phone only and how could you possibly omit gesture control? There is nothing convenient about power up the drone then powering up a controller and fumbling around with the controller when taking a selfie or group selfie. Compare to the Spark and gesture control. Power on, double tap the power button and release the drone. Done and done! Also: no follow me? Seriously?! I don't know why people are talking about this being an Air-killer or Spark-killer, or talking about where it sits in the DJI line up (i.e., higher or lower than the Air?). If I were to get this little guy it would be to replace my Tello because it doesn't offer anything close to the functionality and convenience of my Spark or Air for my purposes.

I am also curious why 249 grams is such a big deal. In the US, it takes all of 2 minutes to register and costs $5 for three years, which is presumably longer than anyone will own this drone. I don't get it.

But that's just my $.02.
I don't know enough to judge the mini yet. But as far as weight goes, the 249 grams will allow a US citizen (or anyone) to fly your drone in Canada and Mexico. I just returned from a week in Cancun and had to leave my M2P home because it weighs too much and unless you're a Mexican citizen, you can't register your drone. The mini would not have that requirement.

Reactions: grone and SkyDogII
That's good to know Redsoxfan.

And I also think that drone laws in the US are going to be much more strict in the newt few years.

It seems that some people assume (wrongly) that drones under 250 grams/.55 pounds are exempt from FAA regulations. It is my understanding that although you do not have to register these drones/pilots you still are governed by all FAA regulations regarding UAS use.

Reactions: Stogies
It's a starter drone, plus they were trying to make it light, and some of those features add weight. If you want all those features, just get the mavic air or pro. Can't you just appreciate a new class of drones for dji?
Why? That makes no sense at all. Are we supposed to punk down 500.00 for the Fly More package just because it has DJI on it? There is nothing on it that as pro pilots makes us say this is a first rate drone. Yes I’m glad that they finally released something new and I’m sad to say it looks like the end of the Phantom line from them. However this new drone has nothing on it that would make me rush to order it or go to Best Buy and throw money at it. Always remember, you get what you pay for. I fear there will be those who buy this and then come and say a 20-25mph took my Mavic and I lost it. I’m just not willing to make that choice. Other than a 3 axis gimbal and better camera and longer flight time, this drone has nothing that makes it better than my Spark or my MA. I’ll keep flying them and hopefully find a P4 that I can afford to round out my stable for the moment. Good luck I hope that it absolutely serves you very, very well.

ik denk dat de drone bewust beneden 250 gr. werd gehouden om toch een drone te hebben, aangepast aan de Eurpese wetgeving. Drones boven de 250 gr. moeten worden ingeschreven met de nieuwe wet. Bij deze drone heb je niets nodig, geen vergunning, geen inschrijving, geen verplichte verzekering etc..
This is an English speaking forum please translate when posting Thank You

Although I agree that Gesture Control on the Spark is not as effective as on the MA, with some practice, I've gotten pretty adept at using it and it is certainly usable enough for that quick selfie pic or video on the beach, golf course, etc. I love that it is hand launch and capture rather than starting from the ground as you must with the MA, thereby avoiding having to take off from the beach or laying out a towel.
you can hand launch and hand catch the air no problem

I don't think anyone wrongly assumed anything mavic3. We all know the rules. and $5 bucks registration doesn't break the bank. I think the laws are going to change and you will need to jump through more hoops than you already do to comply.

I believe I can offer something up for this debate. I live in Japan where they can be pretty restrictive about drones. Japan is pretty much scared of anything. One bad apple doesn’t spoil the bunch here. One bad apple literally means cut the whole got dayum tree down. Telling you my story might help you understand why the Mavic Mini was created, IMO.

I love flying. I want to go different places, capture different scenes, and create content for my YouTube channel related to my interests. I purchased a Mavic Air. LOVE IT! However, through media and press, drones have a pretty bad image. Old Japanese men with too much free time on their hands believe they are society’s manner police. People will accost you if they see you “flying”.

I want to be the best though. I want to stay on the right side of the law. I went to Drone School Japan and got my JStar 1 license. This was a 1,000 USD. The drone was just shy of a 1,000 USD ( at that time ). Liability insurance is free for one year here but I still bought the DJI Refresh package.

Then when I want to fly my drone in Japan, I need to use the Ministry of Infrastructure, Land and Transportation’s DIPS website. Register your drone, submit pictures of the device, and pictures of your license. When I’m ready to go film I need to apply 2 weeks in advance if I’m worried I may be in a restricted area, such as high population density.

HOLD ON, not finished yet. Furthermore, I have to file a post-flight report. It’s very bureaucratic here.

OH by the way, it rained that day so I have to do it all over again!

We can see how this may not be enjoyable. We can see how troublesome it may be to fly a drone. Then there’s public opinion that they might be dangerous ( Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse ). The media is certainly not helping.

Then there are products that make the whole product line look cheap. For example, the Tello. I have one. Cute, love it. Once you think you can do anything real with it ( Drones Suck ). That is not my opinion of course. Fortunately, most drone pilots here know the difference and what is what. Tello is the new Hot Wheels Drone that your son can fly across the room and hit a vase.

I FINALLY get to the Mavic Mini. I want to get one! I need a backup for the times when the opportunity and shot is about to present itself. You can’t plan the perfect shot of Mt. Fuji 2 weeks in advance. You’d have a better chance winning the lottery.

Also, I want to shut the haters down. It’s “bureaucratically” no longer a drone drone. It’s a toy drone that they haven’t written legislation for yet. Next the “No Drone” signs will come.

To us, the tech level of the Mavic Mini fails in comparison to the drones we already own. However, to someone who is just starting out this is PERFECT. They may fall in love with flying drones. That in turn leads to upgrades, the hobbyist, wanting a bigger drone and even going all the way to get a license.

I think the challenge for DJI in the future will be to add purpose to their line-up so customers can clearly recognize the right device for them.

Right now, I’m not distracted by Mavic Mini’s debut. Not in the least. I AM ABSOLUTELY CONCERNED if DJI is going to stop support for the Mavic Air.

The Mavic Air is their Ryu, their Pac-Man, the Super Mario of their product line. It’s the most solid drone they have IMO. I could sit there and watch that thing hover in one position for a whole battery. I wish BOEING 737s could be as stable as this thing.

FINAL Thought: We should be vigilant and watch how DJI, a now very successful company, supports it’s customers. Someday a new Mavic Air will come. Until then how will they treat us.

Is there a reason the Mavic Mini for the Japanese market is actually 199 grams instead of 249 grams? Looks like they reduced the size of the battery there. Is there a legal limit of 200 grams that makes a difference with Japanese regulations?

Mini be' under 300g will make suitable for professional in EU after the july 2020 without legal obligation to have a flight patent

Reactions: Drones.n.Pixels
If I had a Spark there is nothing about the Mini that would motivate me to spend another $400 to get one. If I already had a Mavic Air or Mavic Pro or some other Mavic there is nothing about the Mini that would motivate me to spend another $400 to get one.

I see the Mini as a very capable drone for a beginner or for someone looking to upgrade from an inexpensive drone that has inferior performance (flight controls and camera) but wants to stay under $500 or someone that just likes to have all the newest stuff that come out.

As far as the drone market in general, my understanding was the consumer market has been shrinking so I wonder if there is a significant market for a drone at this price point.
I believe there is a market for it. We all concede there are no video controls, but just to fly longer is a major plus for a lot people, that’s why we buy more batteries. This little drone being able to stay up for over 20 minutes is a big plus.

Reactions: JoostGT3
The camera (and sensor) are the same in MA & MM...4K and mps are software constraints.
It's not all software. It's also CPU/memory behind it being capable of the large stream of data. To put it in perspective, not all smartphones are capable of handling the Go 4 app.
Bigger/faster CPU/memory requires more cooling and electrical power. That means bigger quad, bigger battery or less flight time.

it’s a lot cheaper because it doesn’t have;

manual camera settings
RAW
built in 8gb memory
avoidance sensors
active track
100mb/s data transfer
tap to fly

and, many other features.

It’s like comparing a DSLR to a point and shoot.
Well... I bet most ppl has most of their photos taken with the smart phone or point and shot cameras than dslr's, despite of owning both. I have upgraded my MA to M2P for better stills, flight time and the convinience of smart controller. I would love to keep my Air for its portability, hovewer I can't afford to have both. Mavic Mini is the answer as the second "point and shoot" drone. I will not need any extra accessories or even spare batterry for it, and I can have it on me all the time, keeping the M2P for more creative, dedicated flight trips. During a full year of MA ownership, 80% of my shots were in the intigent flight modes. Now I can still capture them for less than half the price and nearly half the size/weight device - Mavic Mini.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato