DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini vs. Mavic Air

I would love to keep my Air for its portability, hovewer I can't afford to have both. Mavic Mini is the answer as the second "point and shoot" drone.
I don't understand. You [already] have the Air but can't afford to keep it? Are it's running costs too high?

I don't understand. You [already] have the Air but can't afford to keep it? Are it's running costs too high?
I should said, I couldn't keep it as I needed the money to fund the M2P, so the MA was sold. I hope that's more clear now.

I should said, I couldn't keep it as I needed the money to fund the M2P, so the MA was sold. I hope that's more clear now.
Cool - thanks for clearing that up.

My biggest concern, when I heard about the Mini, was that it was going to have that one great feature that was missing from the air, something that I needed or wanted so badly that I would be begging DJI to take my money.

Unfortunately there wasn't. It could have even been almost as good as the Air and I probably would have wanted one just because.

Now I can still capture them for less than half the price and nearly half the size/weight device
You must have done well on the sale of your MA. I would think that at the hefty $400 price tag and loss accepted at sale of the MA that the transaction would result in a lesser capable drone for relatively the same cost.

Kinda like buying a house in the same area. Sell the big house to downsize only to pay same same price for the smaller home as you did the larger 10 years earlier.

Here ends my miscellaneous ramblings.

Reactions: Rayray
You must have done well on the sale of your MA. I would think that at the hefty $400 price tag and loss accepted at sale of the MA that the transaction would result in a lesser capable drone for relatively the same cost.

Kinda like buying a house in the same area. Sell the big house to downsize only to pay same same price for the smaller home as you did the larger 10 years earlier.

Here ends my miscellaneous ramblings.
I sold the MA fly more combo and all accessories I managed to get in a year of ownership. The total came to nearly £900. As the MA is a quite high spec drone I was tempted to get all the extras to make the most of it, and then it showed its limitations - hence the upgrade to M2P. As staded in previous post, my use of MA was 80% in intelligent flight modes. To keep it as a second drone for only that purpose wasnt an option to me. Now I can buy Mavic Mini, only for that purpose for £399 without need for spare battery (over 25min flight time) or other stuff, makes lots of sense to me, especially as a second drone that can carry on me most of the time, due to the weight and size..

I don't "get" the Mini at all. If size, transportability and convenience are main drivers of this drone, why the heck would you not make it controllable via cell phone only and how could you possibly omit gesture control? There is nothing convenient about power up the drone then powering up a controller and fumbling around with the controller when taking a selfie or group selfie. Compare to the Spark and gesture control. Power on, double tap the power button and release the drone. Done and done! Also: no follow me? Seriously?! I don't know why people are talking about this being an Air-killer or Spark-killer, or talking about where it sits in the DJI line up (i.e., higher or lower than the Air?). If I were to get this little guy it would be to replace my Tello because it doesn't offer anything close to the functionality and convenience of my Spark or Air for my purposes.

I am also curious why 249 grams is such a big deal. In the US, it takes all of 2 minutes to register and costs $5 for three years, which is presumably longer than anyone will own this drone. I don't get it.

But that's just my $.02.
I totally agree! The FAA Regs say .55 lbs/250 gm at take off. If you add the stickers or prop guards or anything, you’ll be over 250 gm. I suspect most users will ignore that anyway.

As staded in previous post, my use of MA was 80% in intelligent flight modes. To keep it as a second drone for only that purpose wasnt an option to me. Now I can buy Mavic Mini, only for that purpose for £399 without need for spare battery
I didn't think the MM had the same intelligent flight modes as the Air.

EDIT: or did you mean Quickshots?

As a canadian I can’t fly in the us, so now that I have a flying “toy” does that mean I can? Also in parks? Or is the “no drones” sign mean anything that makes a noise and takes pictures, which would include spark, dobby etc. That alone would make me buy the Mini, now I can fly when I’m in the US although getting hassled by law enforcement would likely still occur. I think the subtlety of 1 gram under the FAA requirements would p?s them off if they thought I was skirting the rules.

As a canadian I can’t fly in the us, so now that I have a flying “toy” does that mean I can? Also in parks? Or is the “no drones” sign mean anything that makes a noise and takes pictures, which would include spark, dobby etc. That alone would make me buy the Mini, now I can fly when I’m in the US although getting hassled by law enforcement would likely still occur. I think the subtlety of 1 gram under the FAA requirements would p?s them off if they thought I was skirting the rules.
What's being Canadian got to do with flying in the US? You just need to register the drone, which you can do using your Canadian address, and pay the $5.

I have Mavic 2. Occusync is fantastic, and is flawless for range.

I had a Spark, but sold it. Only regret was that I bought it. Mini is everything I wanted the Spark to be.

Owning a M2, I have no need for MA; especially considering the terrible flight time; barely better than Spark, and reduced range because of hit and miss Wifi.

I would buy a Mini, but have no need for an MA.

So, mini works for those of us with M2, but don't want to risk M2 for certain low altitude, close quarter/higher risk, up and done shots. 2.7K is good quality video.

I definitely see a place for the mini with my drone needs, but no need for the MA. I have the superior M2 for that.

Reactions: Latawiec
Tha new EASA rules specify that only toys under 250g do not have to register so DJI had to differentiate the Mini from their other drones. By cutting its capabilities and software, it could possibly fit into the toy category, and thereby avoid registration. The other thing is the propeller cage that will also satisfy the new rules.

The Mavic Air, for me is the perfect drone except for its flight time. So much more can be achieved in a 30minute flight because 8mins are usually lost in ascending and descending from the photo location and this means that your actual mission would go from around 7mins to 22mins.

My message and plea to DJI is: "Great job on the Mini but PLEASE make an optional larger battery for the Air to give us 30mins flight time."

If I had a Spark there is nothing about the Mini that would motivate me to spend another $400 to get one. If I already had a Mavic Air or Mavic Pro or some other Mavic there is nothing about the Mini that would motivate me to spend another $400 to get one.

I see the Mini as a very capable drone for a beginner or for someone looking to upgrade from an inexpensive drone that has inferior performance (flight controls and camera) but wants to stay under $500 or someone that just likes to have all the newest stuff that come out.

As far as the drone market in general, my understanding was the consumer market has been shrinking so I wonder if there is a significant market for a drone at this price point.

For those of us who have wondered if the new Mini could be a suitable replacement for the Mavic Air, the answer is in: NO, not even close!

Mini: no 4K video, no obstacle avoidance, 15 or so MPH wind resistance, and many more limiting factors in comparison. It's cute (tiny!), but I'll stick with my MA, it's great...

Tha new EASA rules specify that only toys under 250g do not have to register so DJI had to differentiate the Mini from their other drones. By cutting its capabilities and software, it could possibly fit into the toy category, and thereby avoid registration. The other thing is the propeller cage that will also satisfy the new rules.
But by using the prop cage you're exceeding the max weight of 250g and you'll have to register the drone. I think even the decals provided would push you over the limit, especially when you factor in .25g of a SD card.

The Mavic Air, for me is the perfect drone except for its flight time. So much more can be achieved in a 30minute flight because 8mins are usually lost in ascending and descending from the photo location and this means that your actual mission would go from around 7mins to 22mins.
4 minutes at cruising speed is almost 2km. Are all your locations that far away?

I wouldn't say no to a better MA battery :)

So, mini works for those of us with M2, but don't want to risk M2 for certain low altitude, close quarter/higher risk, up and done shots. 2.7K is good quality video.
I'm embarrassed to admit that I don't even know what that means. :eek:

I don't know enough to judge the mini yet. But as far as weight goes, the 249 grams will allow a US citizen (or anyone) to fly your drone in Canada and Mexico. I just returned from a week in Cancun and had to leave my M2P home because it weighs too much and unless you're a Mexican citizen, you can't register your drone. The mini would not have that requirement.
Exactly. It's great for travelling to countries where the local registrations kick in at 250g. So, sure, it may not make much difference in your home country but perfect for travel. Well, apart from no RAW photos!

I don't know why everyone is saying this is the replacement for the MA. it's a replacement for the discontinued spark and a good one but never a replacement for the Air

ik denk dat de drone bewust beneden 250 gr. werd gehouden om toch een drone te hebben, aangepast aan de Eurpese wetgeving. Drones boven de 250 gr. moeten worden ingeschreven met de nieuwe wet. Bij deze drone heb je niets nodig, geen vergunning, geen inschrijving, geen verplichte verzekering etc..
This is not correct. You must register as a pilot flying the Mavic Mini because it has a camera. This is a recent change to the July 2020 legislation. Also with article 22 you can fly the Mavic Air in the same conditions (i.e. over people) until June 2022.

Dit is niet correct. U moet zich registreren als piloot die met de Mavic Mini vliegt omdat deze een camera heeft. Dit is een recente wijziging in de wetgeving van juli 2020. Ook met artikel 22 kun je tot juni 2022 onder dezelfde omstandigheden (d.w.z. over mensen) met de Mavic Air vliegen.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twistedpair