DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini - Winner or what?

theDRONEranger

Premium Pilot
Reactions
As the Mavic Minis are now being flown, in all locations around the globe, the newness of the drone should begin to wear off! As I read some of the postings, I am particularly grateful my curiosity of the MM has waned. I admit, I honestly had no desire to even consider purchase of MM! I read more and more, in the postings, of words of disappointment than of praise: Camera . . . GoFly . . . Not compatible with my phone/tablet . . . To register or not . . . Exempt from the FAA . . . Still waiting to receive . . . No unlock for NFZs . . . to name a few.

Misgivings of a hurried purchase! I really am waiting to hear of the good news of the the hype/purchase. All I read is of the grief, the buyer’s remorse! I am left with the impression the market may become flooded, in the near future, with MM’s for sell. Not what I want to read about. What I want, is to read/view stories of those spur of the moment photos/videos taken with the Mavic Mini. I say spur of the moment or opportunity flights, because after all, it is designed to be a “take me along drone“. I want to hear/view the wonderful opportunity stories/photos/videos. I want to read or view videos/photos that tell me I should jump on the bandwagon as well! Not the doom and gloom stories that are over abundant! Is this the drone that perhaps will be the envy or boon?

Reactions: old man mavic
I'm disappointed with the NFZ issue of not yet being able to unlock. That said, I was not going to spend $1,000 on a drone. Heck, for the last year I was looking at the Mavic 2 for something like $1,800 ... just can not justify the cost.

For $500, I bought in.

The size, price, flight time, three-axis gimbal and 2.7k is what pushed me to jump in. Not the 249 gram weight or exemption from FAA registration. I thought the video on the reviews looked **** good compared to other drones at that price point. Honestly, IMO it was a lot better.

This is a beginner drone with quite a few features. It is what it is.

Also remember this is the Internet. When it comes to anything you buy, folks are much more likely to log in and complain about stuff as compared to those who log in and say everything works as expected.

I'm a perfect example. You probably would not have heard a peep from me yesterday if everything went well. I would have flown, downloaded the footage, worked on editing said footage, and planned where to fly next.

I have been a long time drone wannabe, but couldn't really justify the cost.
The 399 price tag caught my attention, especially because:
* Its DJI (stability, GPS, etc.)
* Full gimbaled camera
* Portable

I am two days in and the closest thing I have to remorse is:
* 25 min flight time is is a _long_ time (did I need the 3 batteries?).
* 120m height and 300m distance (the local regulations) is "huge", (I was getting worried that I would be missing out with the CE version).
* My muscle memory from gaming (HOTAS + Elite Dangerous) is at odds with the default drone behavior
* I haven't got a lot of work done since last week...
* I got it stuck in a tree (the shame and caught on video)

Still too early for me. Logged about 15 minutes on the MM.

So far I’m liking it. I enjoy the portability and flight time. It does feel light and not as durable as the Mavic Pro. I can see how this would be a good beginners drone.

I’ve had my MP1 for about 2 years. I’ve used my mavic pro oversea, exploring while hiking, and action shots for my car.

Pros
- Not too expensive
- Flight time
- Portable

Cons
- Not as durable
- I do miss the follow me as I don't see that as an option.

I have yet to fly in the winds which is my other concern. I have lots a blade inductrix when flying outdoors.

Overall it fits what I intend to use it for. Portable!

Reactions: scooot
My muscle memory from gaming (HOTAS + Elite Dangerous) is at odds with the default drone behavior
IIRC it is possible to switch the steering mode (but I don't recall the details - and as I don't have the drone yet I can't figure it out)

I only know there are mainly 2 aspects I'd like this drone, one for travel in most airspace developed countries, and two for use in tight areas.
The weight thing, I can't add a thing, not even a strobe or filter, which would be nice.
The tight places, if it loses controller - drone signal, it will RTH in 11 seconds, which could result in a tree canopy or structure impact.

So not sure yet if I'll get a MM, might wait and see if they add 'hover if signal lost' feature in firmware / Fly updates down the track.

I DO know that the hype here has been phenomenal, and if other such places / forums / faceache etc has had the same, DJI has done a great job of creating a lot of interest in this new drone.
Perhaps holding out on information, features, the app, etc has been part of that plan, any talk is good talk holds true.

Reactions: Paul WIngfield
Signal Loss setting does appear when Mini not connected (don't have one) with all three options: RTH, Hover, Land.

Signal Loss setting does appear when Mini not connected (don't have one) with all three options: RTH, Hover, Land.

In the Fly app ?
I just opened it (no aircraft of course) and you can get into settings menu in the app, nad at least see what's there.
Can't see options anywhere for loss of signal, looked through various menus, only the RTH settings in Safety menu.

In the MM manual, there is only forced RTH (loss of signal) after 11 seconds.

The weight part ?
Forgot to mention above, if it is REALLY that important to have a strobe and filter, I can possibly get the Japanese batteries, which see a standard take off weight of only 199g (50g lighter).
It's an 1100mAh vs 2400mAh (both Li-ion).

Now THAT would be a safe margin when travelling.

Regular battery gives up to 30 mins, Japanese battery 18 mins, so a big trade off, brings it down to safe Spark flight time really.
But could be worth it as long as say 4 batteries were carried.

I only know there are mainly 2 aspects I'd like this drone, one for travel in most airspace developed countries, and two for use in tight areas.
The weight thing, I can't add a thing, not even a strobe or filter, which would be nice.
The tight places, if it loses controller - drone signal, it will RTH in 11 seconds, which could result in a tree canopy or structure impact.

So not sure yet if I'll get a MM, might wait and see if they add 'hover if signal lost' feature in firmware / Fly updates down the track.

I DO know that the hype here has been phenomenal, and if other such places / forums / faceache etc has had the same, DJI has done a great job of creating a lot of interest in this new drone.
Perhaps holding out on information, features, the app, etc has been part of that plan, any talk is good talk holds true.
I disagree with the DJI marketing strategy. Hype, hype, hype, preorder, deliver partial product, then tell you you must wait for the app. I totally disagree with that. If a company is going to build hype on a product, the whole kit and kaboodle should have been available at the same time. Also, now it seems many must wait for update FW to unlock NFZs, That’s really gotta suck! I have the Mavic Air and the Spark. The Spark is definitely portable enough to be a tote along. The MA can be prepped to go quite easily as well. Granted Spark cannot handle the higher winds the MA can. I am curious to learn how well the MM does with the winds. I hope it does well for the consumers’ sake. I do NOT foresee myself getting the MM as I am extremely content with the two I have now. If anything, I would like to see Skydio become a more stable platform and possibly beef up the controls a bit. But even on that, I will wait and see! I like their controller concept. Again, for those that invested in the MM, I hope their expectations are at least met if not exceeded!

I don't see why you would get a Mini instead of just getting a Spark??
I have the Spark and the Mavic Air already. Personally I have no need for the Mini! Spark is my tag along.
I am rather disappointed in the DJI marketing approach, however! As I’ve previously stated, they hype big time then get (I’m sure,) 1000s of preorders around the globe. Only to let the consumer down by not releasing the GoFly app until 11 days later?!? And, oh yeah, now they need a FW update to help out with the NFZs! I don’t need/want the Mini. But I do feel bad for consumers for the way DJI hyped up the presale. Not a good way to treat the customer, IMHO.

I don't see why you would get a Mini instead of just getting a Spark??

Sub 250 ease of travel / under many local registration requirements.
Better video (pic ?) too, but then I generally film 1080 anyway.

Spark is excellent aircraft, I have this as well as my original M1P.
I find it’s very stable in wind.
Have seen a video posted on this forum of the MM flying in a good coastal wind, it looks very stable for its size (and especially weight) also.

I have the Spark and the Mavic Air already. Personally I have no need for the Mini! Spark is my tag along.
I am rather disappointed in the DJI marketing approach, however! As I’ve previously stated, they hype big time then get (I’m sure,) 1000s of preorders around the globe. Only to let the consumer down by not releasing the GoFly app until 11 days later?!? And, oh yeah, now they need a FW update to help out with the NFZs! I don’t need/want the Mini. But I do feel bad for consumers for the way DJI hyped up the presale. Not a good way to treat the customer, IMHO.
I know the "weight thing" is supposed to be a big deal, but I don't know why?? At least the Spark will work with the DJI stuff like the Goggles etc.

My understanding of the “weight thing” is that being under the 250g it avoids the registration issue in various countries. That is a plus for travelers! I hope it works out well for them!

If unhappy simply return within 14 days for full refund. DJI needs a certain number of returns to maintain the refurb stock levels.

Bugs/issues with new products with any significant level of tech are frequent and expected.

These are high end toys- not mil spec equipment.

The GOOD NEWS for me......

All I can say is the best camera/drone in the world is no use at home , also the best camera/drone normally is quiet complicated and takes time to set up.
Now the Mavic Mini what can I say with a hair band wrapped around the props you could honestly just put it in your trouser pocket and remote in other pocket , but realistically you can carry it in a bag and take it every where you go even if you don't plan on using it .
Also I don't think that you will get bogged down with loads of extras especially if you don't register it as you can't go over the weight .
In a matter of a minute you can take it from case and launch it and one of the best things about it is how very quiet it is and if some one watches you launch or take it out of your bag it draws no attention as it just looks like a kids toy .
Now if any one was expecting all the bells and whistles and technology of a $1500 drone for $399 then there is the reason why they are complaining.
BUT I tell you one thing for sure , if you add up all that you do get in this $399 drone
You will soon realise that you have an incredible deal . Now I do realise that $399 is not a small amount but I know that I'd rather risk the Mavic Mini to get that incredible shot than a Mavic pro 2 .
All in all I think it's a fantastic drone for a fantastic price with amazing abilities.
I also think that in this world you always get despondent people that moan and are never satisfied , the sort of people that would moan at having to wait a week to receive a payout fot the winning lottery .
Yes there will be broken drones also people won't of checked phone compatibility and there also may turn out to have teething problems .
Now as for the amazing 2.7k photo that an average person couldn't spot that it wasn't 4k even side by side I'm sure that some of the great photographers we have in this community will make this 2.7k image better than most of us average people can do with a 4k image , let's not blame our tools for our inadequacies and try to improve , and I count my self in that . Let's all be positive and look forward to how fast things are happening.
I'm pleased that you realised that the Mavic Mini wasn't for you and I hope you find the right drone.

When I opened the box and placed drone in my hand I was just truly overcome and the flying abilities are incredible but the thing that I still don't believe and think that they have broken the laws of physics is how in 25mph winds with gusts it doesn't get blown away , it's as if it weighed 5kg .
Good luck to all , fly safe and I hope DJI sort out everything satisfactory for all GOD bless

If I had one of the "big" Mavics already I would indeed hardly see a "must have" point for the Mini - it might be nice to have, but not much more.
But all I have right now is a Tello, so the Mini is hopefully a huge step forward without pushing me into too much paperwork (pilot certificate etc.). And due to whatever reasons I will not get my Mini before December so chances are firmware and app have matured a bit in the meantime already....

I have about twelve air craft LOS planes/wings and racing quads, i did have a mavic pro when first released but soon got bored with it, since selling it on i've missed it but can't justify that sort of commitment to a dji.... i picked up my mm fly more yesterday and imo it will be a perfect fit alongside my main hobby, the bag it comes in will easily fit inside my fpv ruck sack so it will always be with me should the need arise

Reactions: FlybyWyre
Only to let the consumer down by not releasing the GoFly app until 11 days later?!?

Would you mind clarifying what you mean here? I'm not sure I understand how they let the consumer down. The official release date, which was well advertised and was supposed to be followed by other retailers as well, was 11-11. The app released on 11-10. Just because some retailers ignored DJIs release date and shipped orders early doesn't mean DJI screwed up on their app release.

Reactions: old man mavic
3 minutes into watching the first review on YT I knew the MM wasn’t anything to get hyped about. Most of the YT guys that are so called “hyped” are the enablers who got the drone for free from DJI and are paid (in a way) to over sell the product. What the MM will do is allow irresponsible flying with less legal jargon giving droning in general more bad publicity!

Reactions: Mavic 57
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54