DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic pro 1 dlog video - purple artifacts in shadows

Adit Pandey

Reactions
Hi folks,

I have been trying to shoot and edit dlog on the mavic pro 1 with +1,-1,-1 as my picture profile settings.

When I increase the contrast and saturation on the dlog video in premiere Pro, I can see this purple tinge in the shadows. Specially when I shoot over water. This is a repeating problem.

I have attached a video where you can see this issue over the water on the right hand side. The highlights are green but the shadows are this wierd chromatic abberation type of purple. Any idea of how to resolve this??

. Here is the link to the video.
:(

Last edited:
Hi folks,

I have been trying to shoot and edit dlog on the mavic pro 1 with +1,-1,-1 as my picture profile settings.

When I increase the contrast and saturation on the dlog video in premiere Pro, I can see this purple tinge in the shadows. Specially when I shoot over water. This is a repeating problem.

I have attached a video where you can see this issue over the water on the right hand side. The highlights are green but the shadows are this wierd chromatic abberation type of purple. Any idea of how to resolve this??

. Here is the link to the video.
:(
In Premiere, Did you try moving the temperature slider more away from the blue (left side)of the slide towards the yellow or warmer side?

Dale
Miami

In Premiere, Did you try moving the temperature slider more away from the blue (left side)of the slide towards the yellow or warmer side?

Dale
Miami
Hi Dale. No I did not(though I did shoot at 7100k in camera). Just adding 100% contrast is enough to make it visible and adding saturation makes it pop out even more. What I have seen is that, when the water is green and there are waves, the shadow area of the wave has this color. This is the only scenario I face the issue. But here in Singapore, the water gives out this green color which the mavic absolutely hates I guess. By right it should be greyish black in the shadows, but it comes out vibrant purple :D And it's painful to isolate and desaturate only the shadows in the waves. Maybe my shooting technique is wrong for the situation?

Hi Dale. No I did not(though I did shoot at 7100k in camera). Just adding 100% contrast is enough to make it visible and adding saturation makes it pop out even more. What I have seen is that, when the water is green and there are waves, the shadow area of the wave has this color. This is the only scenario I face the issue. But here in Singapore, the water gives out this green color which the mavic absolutely hates I guess. By right it should be greyish black in the shadows, but it comes out vibrant purple :D And it's painful to isolate and desaturate only the shadows in the waves. Maybe my shooting technique is wrong for the situation?
I know next to nothing about Kelvin but I would look up to see if you can adjust the color temperature- I think around 5400K or maybe bracket- e.g.: try different kelvin readings. Ir look up in Google what temperature your light should be for daylight.

Google has tons of color charts if you put in the search phrase "what color Kelvin is daylight/". Here is one of many chartsScreen Shot 2021-07-17 at 7.57.03 PM.png

This isn't a white balance problem. I had something similar with my original Mavic Pro before I sold it. It has to do with compression artifacts from the 60mbps codec, which really isn't enough for 4K. If you look carefully, it doesn't appear in the deepest shadows/blacks. Where it really shows up is in high detail shadow areas. It just doesn't have enough codec bandwidth to encode all the details (and there's probably more detail to encode when flying over water because of all the little waves) and shadows are the first thing that suffers in h.264 compression. For some reason, the image processor in the Mavic Pro (which has quite a few issues) likes to create purple (and other) artifacts in the process. LOG makes this even worse, since you're compressing the data into a small range and then expanding it back to full luma range in post, bringing out any artifacts that are there. I haven't found a good solution to the MP artifacts which is part of the reason I switched to the Air 2.

Reactions: Adit Pandey
This isn't a white balance problem. I had something similar with my original Mavic Pro before I sold it. It has to do with compression artifacts from the 60mbps codec, which really isn't enough for 4K. If you look carefully, it doesn't appear in the deepest shadows/blacks. Where it really shows up is in high detail shadow areas. It just doesn't have enough codec bandwidth to encode all the details (and there's probably more detail to encode when flying over water because of all the little waves) and shadows are the first thing that suffers in h.264 compression. For some reason, the image processor in the Mavic Pro (which has quite a few issues) likes to create purple (and other) artifacts in the process. LOG makes this even worse, since you're compressing the data into a small range and then expanding it back to full luma range in post, bringing out any artifacts that are there. I haven't found a good solution to the MP artifacts which is part of the reason I switched to the Air 2.
Whoa Flying Filmmaker!

You really lost me just there. You must a Hollywood editor, color expert, or something exotic. I, for one, am impressed and don't understand what was said. Compression artifacts, 60mbps, suffering in .264 compression! That sounds really complex. Other terms also threw me...image processor likes to create purple??? Over my head, and out of my pay grade.

That's perfect! Thanks for explaining. To be honest, the dlog on the mp1 is enough for my use. I just want to know a way around this problem. The only way right now seems to be to manually remove it by changing it's color and saturation in post :(

Wow. Well spotted! That explains the issue clearly. Only way around it seems to be changing the color and saturation of those areas in post :(

Wow. Well spotted! That explains the issue clearly. Only way around it seems to be changing the color and saturation of those areas in post :(
More or less. Lowering the resolution to 2.7K or FHD can help with artifacts a bit, but you're losing the 4K resolution then. There's also something that can be done with blurring the color channel in those areas, but I haven't had good success with that. If there isn't anything else purple in the shot, desaturating purples might help. For me it showed up on snow-covered trees in winter, so I had the luxury of simply desaturating the whole shot since there wasn't much meaningful color in the first place. ?‍♂️

Were you using ND by any chance? I agree that compression is definitely a factor here, but with the magenta tint it almost looks like IR contamination.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom