DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro 1 vs 2 - "Lost" features?

You can look left and right with the tumble which they really didn’t talk about. Hold your finger on screen when flying. Amazing. Good luck.
Can somebody confirm what this means? I’ve heard but haven’t been able to find the feature. You hold one finger on the the screen while rocking the left thumbwheel? (I’m not asking about the “tumble” misspell)

It means if you touch the screen with any working appendage (let your mind go where it will) and slide it left or right, the lens will pan in that direction.

You can see the front landing legs. Took me a while to work out what i was looking at!

In other news, the rear obstacle sensors pick up birds really well.

It means if you touch the screen with any working appendage (let your mind go where it will) and slide it left or right, the lens will pan in that direction.
Not true..I couldn’t get any ‘left/right’ pan using one, two, or any other appendage on the screen to pan the camera. I’m just guessing I have to use both thumbwheel and a finger on the screen with the thumbwheel doing the panning?

Not true..I couldn’t get any ‘left/right’ pan using one, two, or any other appendage on the screen to pan the camera. I’m just guessing I have to use both thumbwheel and a finger on the screen with the thumbwheel doing the panning?

No other actions required, but you have to touch and hold, then move your appendage.

Thanks for that link. The video makes it look great. Although I can't really believe it is any good for actual shooting. Moving your finger on the screen? Not likely to be very smooth. I'll try it on my next flight.

Reactions: Larry Gibson
Handy if you want to fly in one direction while filming another direction though....Since we dont have Course Lock currently.

Yes, Litchi waypoint mode is great. You design the whole flight in the comfort of your home on a large screen. You can set it so the drone just flies the exact path you designed, at the speeds you pick and you have total control of photo/video start/stop, gimbal angle, flight orientation - it's great. For scenic shots where things are not dynamic it feels like when you have a dual controller setup and you are just the camera man, not the pilot.

Course lock is VERY important and already available in the Hyperlapse mode
I am sure it will follow soon with a firmware update

I'm not sure DJI will bring back Follow Me; it was so poorly implemented in later versions of GO4 that it was almost useless. GPS Follow worked fairly well with the P3 and the GO app then DJI shifted their focus to optical tracking with the P4 up. Active Track still has a ways too go IMO.

Portrait i suspect is one of the few "cant" change due to the gimbal designs.
I took a lot of panoramas so i used it a LOT.
There is one way around it, Mavic2 has built in vertical portrait panarama mode.
Maybe use this to take the six pics that make the vertical panarama then resize to send to social media.

Course Lock is advertised on their site so I am surprised it is not already available.
Course lock is advertised on their site and is already available on Mavic2 but only in the time lapse mode.

Flight data has been removed from SRT logs (Video Caption in camera options), the files are still there, but they only include camera metadata now, not location or height. I will miss that.
So the .SRT logs are still created separately from the video files, as sidecar files, but are now missing the height and location data? On the P4P, they removed the separate .SRT files completely, and, instead, embedded the .SRT data into the main video file, from which it can be manually extracted with FFmpeg. Have you tried extracting it from the main video file?

So the .SRT logs are still created separately from the video files, as sidecar files, but are now missing the height and location data? On the P4P, they removed the separate .SRT files completely, and, instead, embedded the .SRT data into the main video file, from which it can be manually extracted with FFmpeg. Have you tried extracting it from the main video file?
Yes. The data is not there

Yes. The data is not there
Are you saying you have, in fact, also used ffmpeg to extract an SRT file from the main video file, and that extracted .SRT file is identical to the original .SRT sidecar file created by the camera? Could there, perhaps, be a new location enabling setting in the app to restore GPS recording to the .SRT files, much like you can disable location meta data on photos taken with an iPhone?

Handy if you want to fly in one direction while filming another direction though....Since we dont have Course Lock currently.
One big advantage is that the front collision detection is on in the direction of travel. No more flying sideways into a tree while tracking a subject of manual POI.
Although holding you more on the screen while using both sticks for a POI might be a challenge.

The mavics auto panorama modes are worthless - to start with they all seem to centre the horizon gimbal before starting which is very often not the framing you want. It doesnt allow you to select a field of view of number of images either. Far better doing manual DNGs of it.
But without portrait mode it now means more images and time to produce.

Are you saying you have, in fact, also used ffmpeg to extract an SRT file from the main video file, and that extracted .SRT file is identical to the original .SRT sidecar file created by the camera? Could there, perhaps, be a new location enabling setting in the app to restore GPS recording to the .SRT files, much like you can disable location meta data on photos taken with an iPhone?
I did not try with ffmpeg because subtitles should be available in VLC if they were there, like on the P4P. And they're not. I think DJI took with the M2 the same route as with the Mavic Air: remove location data from SRT files and increase frequency.

Every time there's a new drone release, those with small ones (hint) show up for size comparisons, implying how big "theirs" is by boasting about the litmus test of using Precision Landing.

FWIW, I'm probably among the 25-50 most experienced pilots here. I bother to perform such control maneuvers as coordinated turns, unconciously, while flying.

That said, I always use PL. Why wouldn't I?

'Been driving a long time too, and pretty darn good at that. Guess what? I use cruise control. All the time.

RTH? USe that almost every time too, if I'm any distance away. Oh the horrors!

Need to keep my landing skills from getting rusty? Please. Like I need to ride a bike now and then so I don't forget.

I really wish people would grow up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d