DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro (1) won't Initiate "auto land"

Wanbli

Reactions
The Mavic Pro will return to the home point at the set altitude nearly exact. It says it's landing, the drone turns to align with it's original take-off position, but it WILL NOT BEGIN LANDING, it just hovers there! If I initiate the landing by pulling down the left stick, it comes down, but if I let the stick go it stops. If I pull it down again, it decends until I release it again, then hovers, very odd! Another oddity is on take-off I ascend to 30' and hover for 30 seconds, but the drone keeps climbing after I release the stick for a few feet, then descends a couple feet.
I have reflashed the firmware to a "beta" (.0241) provided by DJI and the stepped back up to .0500, but no change. All calibrations have been completed (multiple times), and I do use a landing pad. Any help will be appriecated...

Yes, both scenarios are very unusual.

Even in normal RTH (no precision landing set) it should not behave like that.
I take it sensors are clean, and you tried sensor calibration for bottom sensors, not sure if this will help your case.

If you bring it down manually, and keep the left stick down to land, does it land gently like it should ?

You're climbing to 30' to set precision landing I guess, must take off to greater than 10m in the manual.

Hopefully you can solve this and update here what you found.

The Mavic Pro will return to the home point at the set altitude nearly exact. It says it's landing, the drone turns to align with it's original take-off position, but it WILL NOT BEGIN LANDING, it just hovers there!
That sounds like a landing protection issue, with the drone deciding that the location does not have a suitable landing spot.
What is the surface you are attempting to land on?
Another oddity is on take-off I ascend to 30' and hover for 30 seconds, but the drone keeps climbing after I release the stick for a few feet, then descends a couple feet.
Your recorded flight data might help understand what's happening.

Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report on the flight data.
Come back and post a link to the report it provides.
Or just post the txt file.
I have reflashed the firmware to a "beta" (.0241) provided by DJI and the stepped back up to .0500, but no change. All calibrations have been completed (multiple times), and I do use a landing pad. Any help will be appriecated...
The issue is not a firmware issue.
If it was everyone would have the same complaint.
There's nothing you can calibrate that has any effect on landing.

Reactions: FLDave
That sounds like a landing protection issue, with the drone deciding that the location does not have a suitable landing spot.
What is the surface you are attempting to land on?

Your recorded flight data might help understand what's happening.

Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report on the flight data.
Come back and post a link to the report it provides.
Or just post the txt file.

The issue is not a firmware issue.
If it was everyone would have the same complaint.
There's nothing you can calibrate that has any effect on landing.
Thanks for the quick responses!
Not sure that Go4 is checking for landing protection at 200' above the landing pad. None of my other Mavic Pro's (I repair Mavic Pro drones) do this or have this issue.
I'm using an iPad Mini2 and my iTunes doesn't look anything like what's shown in the link you provided and I'm an android guy who's TOTALLY LOST in Apple Land. I did find the DJI Fly app, but not the Go4 app or any other app for that matter (wierd).
I will try it again with my android tablet and see if I can get the flight records off it. I'll re-post after that flight.

Last edited:
Yes, both scenarios are very unusual.

Even in normal RTH (no precision landing set) it should not behave like that.
I take it sensors are clean, and you tried sensor calibration for bottom sensors, not sure if this will help your case.

If you bring it down manually, and keep the left stick down to land, does it land gently like it should ?

You're climbing to 30' to set precision landing I guess, must take off to greater than 10m in the manual.

Hopefully you can solve this and update here what you found.
Yes, all sensors are clean and calibrated in assistant 2. At this point the drone is at 200' altitude (my RTH Height Setting).
As long as I hold down the left stick, the drone decends, release, it stops. Yes, it will land gently if I hold the stck down.

Thanks for the quick responses!
Not sure that Go4 is checking for landing protection at 200' above the landing pad. None of my other Mavic Pro's (I repair Mavic Pro drones) do this or have this issue.
I'm using an iPad Mini2 and my iTunes doesn't look anything like what's shown in the link you provided and I'm an android guy who's TOTALLY LOST in Apple Land. I did find the DJI Fly app, but not the Go4 app or any other app for that matter (wierd).
I will try it again with my android tablet and see if I can get the flight records off it. I'll re-post after that flight.
Go 4 of course is DJI's older app for earlier Mavic Drones, such as the MP1 your indicating won't land without help.

DJI Fly is used for newer models, such as the Mini series and Air 2, Air 2s, Mavic 3, couple more models now. There are versions of these apps for IOS and android. If you go to the App Store on iPad, you can search for "DJI Go 4" and it should come up in the search list to download. However, to be clear, iTunes has nothing do with downloading apps to your iPad. you need to be in the App Store

Go 4 of course is DJI's older app for earlier Mavic Drones, such as the MP1 your indicating won't land without help.

DJI Fly is used for newer models, such as the Mini series and Air 2, Air 2s, Mavic 3, couple more models now. There are versions of these apps for IOS and android. If you go to the App Store on iPad, you can search for "DJI Go 4" and it should come up in the search list to download. However, to be clear, iTunes has nothing do with downloading apps to your iPad. you need to be in the App Store
Thanks, I appriecate the info and especially your thoroughness, but I've been flying these things for a while, so I know the diference in the apps, what I don't know is much about Apple products. The only reason I have one is to be certain the AC I repair work under both android and apple, since I have learned that many owners use the apple products.

So I took the drone back out for a couple flights using my android tablet. The 1st one was as before, RTH, turned to re-align, then wouldn't decend from 200'. The I noticed the drone was actually decending at betwee .2 and .4mph. Also wierd. So I move the left stick down and the drone started to decend until I released it, then the drone stopped and started to decend again as befoe, very slowly. Pulled the stick back again and let it come down and I notice it repositioning for precision landing, so I released the stick and it continued to land from about 80' to a normal soft landing within inches of it's take off position.
The 2nd flight was "normal". Out 1,000', hit RTH, the AC returned and this time landed as it should! Beats me what fixed it!? I hate it when this happens! I'll test it a few more flights before I return it to it's owner, just to be sure...
Here's the flight record of the not so perfect flight.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2022-09-26_[15-25-40].txt
    402.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
The I noticed the drone was actually decending at betwee .2 and .4mph.

Sounds like it could be a downward height sensor issue, thinking it's about to reach the ground even way up. Does the displayed value seem correct?

Sounds like it could be a downward height sensor issue, thinking it's about to reach the ground even way up. Does the displayed value seem correct?
The altitude and distances reported to the app appear as correct as any other drone...

Thanks, I appriecate the info and especially your thoroughness, but I've been flying these things for a while, so I know the diference in the apps, what I don't know is much about Apple products. The only reason I have one is to be certain the AC I repair work under both android and apple, since I have learned that many owners use the apple products.

So I took the drone back out for a couple flights using my android tablet. The 1st one was as before, RTH, turned to re-align, then wouldn't decend from 200'. The I noticed the drone was actually decending at betwee .2 and .4mph. Also wierd. So I move the left stick down and the drone started to decend until I released it, then the drone stopped and started to decend again as befoe, very slowly. Pulled the stick back again and let it come down and I notice it repositioning for precision landing, so I released the stick and it continued to land from about 80' to a normal soft landing within inches of it's take off position.
The 2nd flight was "normal". Out 1,000', hit RTH, the AC returned and this time landed as it should! Beats me what fixed it!? I hate it when this happens! I'll test it a few more flights before I return it to it's owner, just to be sure...
Here's the flight record of the not so perfect flight.
You sometimes never quite know how experienced someone is. Figure it never hurts to cover the bases. Apple products are not really more complicated, I find them simpler than some others.. but that probably goes the other way, familiarity makes things easier... If you need more details on using your iPad for something, might be able to help.

Yeah, its really annoying when your non working landing starts working perfectly after you went through all the trouble to find out why it was not working.

Here's what that flight data looks like:

Sometimes the perception of the flyer doesn't match what actually happened as shown in the recorded flight data.
The Mavic Pro will return to the home point at the set altitude nearly exact. It says it's landing, the drone turns to align with it's original take-off position, but it WILL NOT BEGIN LANDING, it just hovers there!
The drone did commence landing ... but very, very slowly.
If I initiate the landing by pulling down the left stick, it comes down, but if I let the stick go it stops. If I pull it down again, it decends until I release it again, then hovers, very odd!
In the flight you posted, the drone continued descending normally after you released the sticks.
It descended to 139 ft by 3:43.8 - a descent rate of 0.5 ft/sec.
You pulled the left stick down for 3 seconds and descent speed increased to 6.9 ft/sec which continued after you released the left stick.
Another oddity is on take-off I ascend to 30' and hover for 30 seconds, but the drone keeps climbing after I release the stick for a few feet, then descends a couple feet.
You climbed to 30.5 ft at 0:20.4, released the sticks and the altitude varied slightly while you left it hovering.
It gradually came down to 27.9 ft and came back to 30.5 ft at 0:36.4 when you started climbing again.
This is very close to the hovering Precision of +/- 0.5 metres stated in the specifications for this model.

Is the slow descent happening every time you use RTH or was this a one-off glitch?

Here's what that flight data looks like:

Sometimes the perception of the flyer doesn't match what actually happened as shown in the recorded flight data.

The drone did commence landing ... but very, very slowly.

In the flight you posted, the drone continued descending normally after you released the sticks.
It descended to 139 ft by 3:43.8 - a descent rate of 0.5 ft/sec.
You pulled the left stick down for 3 seconds and descent speed increased to 6.9 ft/sec which continued after you released the left stick.

You climbed to 30.5 ft at 0:20.4, released the sticks and the altitude varied slightly while you left it hovering.
It gradually came down to 27.9 ft and came back to 30.5 ft at 0:36.4 when you started climbing again.
This is very close to the hovering Precision of +/- 0.5 metres stated in the specifications for this model.

Is the slow descent happening every time you use RTH or was this a one-off glitch?
Thanks for checking this out! Until yesterday, it would happen every time I use RTH, then, yesterday's 2nd flight it started working, go figure...

Last edited:
Thanks for checking this out! Until yesterday, it would happen every time I use RTH, then, yesterday's 2nd flight it started working, go figure...
I should have also mentioned that there's no indication that the VPS sensors are malfunctioning.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143