DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro 2 Almost Disaster with Latest FW

Tommygun45

Reactions
I have been flying drones for about 5 years now. I do it professionally for real estate. I have flown thousands of times. This has never happened so I figured I would share what are likely my mistakes with others, but also ask what I should do in the future should it happen again.

I have MP2 with the Smart Controller. Today I decided to update everything because I finally had some down time. Fly Safe Database, firmware, everything all to the latest versions. I took off and took some standard footage of a house. Conditions were moderately windy, but nothing out of the ordinary. I have had the Mavic and the Controller disconnect their Occusync connection in the past. The drone would enter a hover mode, and I could move towards the drone, relaunch the App, and it has reconnected for me. I also maintained control of the drone while it hovered, even without the Occusync connection. This however was somewhat different.

Today after taking some standard footage I decided to use the Point of Interest feature to get a nice pan of the front of a house. The drone was about 20 seconds into the maneuver at 8.9 mph and recording when suddenly the signal dropped from my controller. It gave me the option to have the drone return to home, or not. This is where I think I made my mistake. I chose not to have it automatically return to home because I could see the drone in the air about 200 feet away from me. I still had control of it with the sticks and as I started to move the sticks I could see it was responding. The problem was that when I declined to return to home the drone kept flying in the Point of Interest pattern.

I spent the next 3-4 minutes fighting the drone to get it to land. Even when I could hover it in a relatively stable pattern, it would not touch down. I was also about 6 feet over concrete and did not want to kill the engines and have it straight drop to the ground, and I could not catch it because if I took my thumb off the throttle for a second it would fully accelerate in a random direction. So me and the drone were engaged in a battle. I had also deactivated its sensors as I was doing some tripod work close to the front of the house. I do this all the time. The problem was, and I might be wrong, but I think in its 'mind' its orientation was constantly changing. But to me it was in the same position. So for instance if it was trying to fly to its left, I had to push it to its right, but after a few seconds of it hovering, this would become useless and it would whip off trying to fly to its 'new left' which was still my right. I had to continuously adjust opposite thrust to keep it steady, and at one point I almost lost it. That is where I kick my leg up because it was about to fly straight into a house but at the last second I found whatever its opposite was and got it to return to me.

So long story short, if you are in one of the smart or automated modes, and it is flying, and you lose the connection but it asks if you want the drone to return home, hit yes? I guess? I don't know what would have happened, but it could not have been worse than what I narrowly avoided today.

Here is a link of the unedited video file from start to finish.

And here is the video I was able to salvage from the footage I did get before this meltdown.

You couldn't cancel the Point of Interest program?

I know, in the heat of the moment, you might not have thought of that and looked down at the bottom bar, but I do ask in case this is something you did try and didn't work.

Chris

The problem was that when I declined to return to home the drone kept flying in the Point of Interest pattern.

I spent the next 3-4 minutes fighting the drone to get it to land
You'll likely to be the loser any time you try to fight a drone that's in an automated flight mode like RTH or POI etc.
You have to cancel the automated flight mode to have full control or the drone will continue trying to follow the programmed mode.
Simply flick the flight mode out of P-GPS or Normal mode and back again and you are in control.

Regarding the suggestion to cancel the automated flight mode, I do not have a lot of flying experience (Mavic 2 Zoom with regular controller, not SC) and recall the last time I tried a automated mode (I think it was an orbit) I could not see how to cancel the flight mode. Could you remind me how to do that ? If there is a spot on the screen to look for (say an'X') I would love to see a screenshot. I did not see such an option the last time I tried Orbit Mode. Not trying to take the focus of of the OP message, but this reminded me that I needed to learn how to cancel a flight mode.

You couldn't cancel the Point of Interest program?

I know, in the heat of the moment, you might not have thought of that and looked down at the bottom bar, but I do ask in case this is something you did try and didn't work.

Chris
The entire screen had locked up. Once it disconnects there is nothing left to hit, it was all completely grayed out.

To cancel any automated flight just switch flight modes. go to tripod or sport or whatever they want to call it these days. :p You don't need a screen or app, the switch is right on the factory remote or the SC.

Could you remind me how to do that ? If there is a spot on the screen to look for (say an'X') I would love to see a screenshot. I did not see such an option the last time I tried Orbit Mode. Not trying to take the focus of of the OP message, but this reminded me that I needed to learn how to cancel a flight mode.
On the side of your controller, there is a 3-position Flight Mode Switch.
It will usually be in P-Mode while you are flying.
To cancel any automated flight mode and get control of the drone, simply flick the flight mode switch out of P-Mode to one of the other positions, and back to P-Mode again.
i-6K5b9Dk-M.jpg

It's a simple matter to test by flying your drone out 100 feet in a clear, open area, initiate RTH and when RTH commences, flick the flight mode switch to sport mode or tripod mode and then back to P mode and you have control again.

Reactions: Spartan Drones
I cant help but wonder if the antenna on the fire hydrant was emitting a signal or just a visual marker for cars etc.
It wouldn't matter even if it was.
Interference can't cause the drone to fly in an uncontrolled way.

I cant help but wonder if the antenna on the fire hydrant was emitting a signal or just a visual marker for cars etc.
Typically NOT an antenna but something to help locate the hydrant in deep snow.

Thank you for sharing, I am new to the commercial side of drones, this is good information and great responses from the group.

I have been flying drones for about 5 years now. I do it professionally for real estate. I have flown thousands of times. This has never happened so I figured I would share what are likely my mistakes with others, but also ask what I should do in the future should it happen again.

I have MP2 with the Smart Controller. Today I decided to update everything because I finally had some down time. Fly Safe Database, firmware, everything all to the latest versions. I took off and took some standard footage of a house. Conditions were moderately windy, but nothing out of the ordinary. I have had the Mavic and the Controller disconnect their Occusync connection in the past. The drone would enter a hover mode, and I could move towards the drone, relaunch the App, and it has reconnected for me. I also maintained control of the drone while it hovered, even without the Occusync connection. This however was somewhat different.

Today after taking some standard footage I decided to use the Point of Interest feature to get a nice pan of the front of a house. The drone was about 20 seconds into the maneuver at 8.9 mph and recording when suddenly the signal dropped from my controller. It gave me the option to have the drone return to home, or not. This is where I think I made my mistake. I chose not to have it automatically return to home because I could see the drone in the air about 200 feet away from me. I still had control of it with the sticks and as I started to move the sticks I could see it was responding. The problem was that when I declined to return to home the drone kept flying in the Point of Interest pattern.

I spent the next 3-4 minutes fighting the drone to get it to land. Even when I could hover it in a relatively stable pattern, it would not touch down. I was also about 6 feet over concrete and did not want to kill the engines and have it straight drop to the ground, and I could not catch it because if I took my thumb off the throttle for a second it would fully accelerate in a random direction. So me and the drone were engaged in a battle. I had also deactivated its sensors as I was doing some tripod work close to the front of the house. I do this all the time. The problem was, and I might be wrong, but I think in its 'mind' its orientation was constantly changing. But to me it was in the same position. So for instance if it was trying to fly to its left, I had to push it to its right, but after a few seconds of it hovering, this would become useless and it would whip off trying to fly to its 'new left' which was still my right. I had to continuously adjust opposite thrust to keep it steady, and at one point I almost lost it. That is where I kick my leg up because it was about to fly straight into a house but at the last second I found whatever its opposite was and got it to return to me.

So long story short, if you are in one of the smart or automated modes, and it is flying, and you lose the connection but it asks if you want the drone to return home, hit yes? I guess? I don't know what would have happened, but it could not have been worse than what I narrowly avoided today.

And here is the video I was able to salvage from the footage I did get before this meltdown.
Use of any one of three buttons/slides likely would have solved your problem: 1) Mode slider (T-P-S) 2) Pause or 3) RTH. Sometimes when using certain automatic modes like POI, I will keep my finger on the pause button in anticipation of issues exactly like this one.

I purchased my drone for the specific reason of doing real estate videos. I'm still learning how to fly, but would love any advice you could give.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deltabird