DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro 2 drifts / gimbal jolts when stopping

benjaminjackman503

Reactions
Recently I have noticed my mavic pro 2 is drifting, unable to focus on an object correctly. I have also noticed that when I stop hard, the gimbal complete jolts in a way it is definitely not supposed to do. Any quick movements the camera shakes abruptly. Could this just be a lemon? It’s only a few weeks old.

If its only a few week old (you mean New) it should not shake even if it is old.
Try a gimbal calibration and watch the action.
DJI Go 4 App connect to the drone.

In camera view click on the remote controller icon, top right (just before the signal strength indicator and next to the sensors icon) to go to the Remote Controller Settings menu page.

Click the last but one icon. The camera with a bar on top.
You should be in 'Gimbal Settings'.
Click on 'Gimbal Auto Calibration' and watch what happens.

Any shaking and/or abrupt movements?

Last edited:
Reactions: Paul2660
Giimbal Jolt on hard stopping or even a controller stop is pretty common on the Mavic 2 Pro. Can't speak for the zoom. Will do it even if fly it backwards. Only way to avoid it is not to try a very controlled slow stop. It's the gimbal striking the top of the compartment and seems to happen with a hard stop especially if flying back into a head wind. You can expect the effect to be even worse if you are in sport mode and do a hard stop. Next time you have the drone up bring it in fast and do a hard stop, and notice just how much the entire drone is dipping, it's a pretty pronounced movement that the gimbal is try to correct for and it eventually will hit the top of the camera compartment and thus the jolt. You can also see this just by flying fast into a wind, especially if the gimbal is angled up. Does ruin a video sequence for sure.

Drifting is less common, I have one M2 Pro that will drift at times, but it happens mostly in windy conditions and after a long yaw for a pano video. Best solution for it is IMO to do a IMU calibration next time you have the drone down.

Biggest concern I see is the focus issue, as you should not have any problems with focus. If you are in good light and not in AFC mode. You should be able to tap any part on the screen and get a focus lock. If that is not happening, then you might need to return it. I always take off, switch to AF, hit a spot in the scene I know I want in focus, get confirmation and then switch back to MF. Net, once you get good focus, most if not all of the scene will be in focus, unless you are trying to get close to a subject. I never use AFC, too easy to have the camera try and focus on a part of the sky or some other part of a scene with low contrast and you will get a miss.

Paul C

I do not see this behavior in my M2P during literally thousands of flights. As above ...,if it’s new send it back. If not recommend contacting DJI drone service...,a member here. @DDS

Examples of issues similar to OP's description of gimbal jolt.

I have 2 MP2, and both will do this issue of the gimbal jerking down to level or slightly below level during flight. Problem is more problematic when I fly with the gimbal aimed up, (which I often do as I am looking for more sky). What tends to happen is after about 15 mph, during flight, the gimbal snaps back down to the level position or slight below. I can get this flying forwards or backwards. Flying forwards it happens most times during flight after the speeds exceed the 15 to 16mph range, quick downward jerk of gimbal. Flying backwards, it tends to happen more often as I am slowing down, even though I am not making a hard stop.

It's just something I have gotten used to in flight, as I did with the Phantom 4 and the issue of seeing props in video with forward flight much past 20 mph and while slowing down.

Paul C

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ