DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro 2 - No RAW in Panoramic mode?

Vanzeppelin

Reactions
Flew my first test flight earlier today, and was eager to try out the panoramic mode. I often used it with the Mavic Air. The settings would not allow me to change the mode to RAW under pano. Hopefully this is just an oversight, and will be corrected in an upcoming software patch. There shouldn't be anything preventing the Pro 2 from doing this.

Other than that, my initial impressions are very positive. I was very impressed with how quiet it is. Hope to get some more flights in this evening.

Yes, I missed this on earlier flights. You are correct, currently any pano mode defaults only to jpg. And AF will not work, at least on mine. In all other photo modes, AF is fine.

Paul C

Good to have it verified, but still disappointing. At least it should be an easy fix. Although it shouldn't matter, I was saving to the internal memory when shooting the pano. I'll try changing to SD to see if that opens up any more options for RAW panos.

It doesn’t at least from what I found. Deep under setting there is a “save original” slider. Under this you have the option to save the original pano as raw. However by selecting raw, it changes nothing. Your counter on the top still shows only jpg.

Paul C

OK, I went back reformatted SD card in drone. Selected save original Pano as RAW under the "save original slider".

Panos are saved as raw. As before each pano has it's own folder and in each I only have dng files.

This is really a VERY strange way to implement this. I did a 180 and 9 shot and both were all raw. When you go into pano mode even after setting the "save original" as raw, the frame counter at top is still showing jpg.

But the camera shoots raw. As I only want raw, this is OK for me. But I am curious what you would do to have the drone shoot the pano in jpg/raw?

Strange and will need some clarification I guess.

Paul C

Good find on that "save original slider." Tested it out today and the raw files are again in the Panorama folder as they should be. I agree that it is an odd spot to bury the setting though.

about that issue,

just to make sure i understand :

with MAVIC AIR you could only save finished paorama in JPEG and you also had the option to save the individual files in RAW if needed

has this changed ? should i understand that MAVIC 2 PRO now gives us the ability to save the finished panorama also in RAW in addition to JPEG (or you guys are just talking about the individual raw files and not the full RAW panorama)

has this changed ? should i understand that MAVIC 2 PRO now gives us the ability to save the finished panorama also in RAW in addition to JPEG (or you guys are just talking about the individual raw files and not the full RAW panorama)

No, they are talking about the individual RAW files. You can always do the stitching in Photoshop, though.

OK, I went back reformatted SD card in drone. Selected save original Pano as RAW under the "save original slider".

Panos are saved as raw. As before each pano has it's own folder and in each I only have dng files.

This is really a VERY strange way to implement this. I did a 180 and 9 shot and both were all raw. When you go into pano mode even after setting the "save original" as raw, the frame counter at top is still showing jpg.

But the camera shoots raw. As I only want raw, this is OK for me. But I am curious what you would do to have the drone shoot the pano in jpg/raw?

Paul C

How many DNG you had for 1 180 pano ?? Didn't Air save 12 or 16 DNG for one 180 pano ?? thx

I have a question about spherical panos. I did one this morning and after changing the setting to store originals in RAW, everything seemed to go perfectly. When it was done shooting the images, it generated the "tiny planet" image that I wanted and displayed it in the Go4 app after tapping the "Play" button and then selecting the respective image file.

HOWEVER, when I checked the SD card, all I had were the 26 DNG's AND, one JPG with the same 00xx suffix but it was just a regular pano, not the tiny planet.

So, can someone tell me how to get that spherical rendering from the aircraft? I tried stitching the DNG's in Photoshop 2018 and the result was the wierdest image. It had random spikes around the top and while I could crop them out, the result is still just a generic flat pano.

No doubt one or more of you know the answer and I would very much like to know what it is.

Also, since PS didn't do it for me, what reasonably inexpensive apps do some of you use to achieve the "tiny planet" rendering?

TIA,

KB

I would try Microsoft ice. Free and works

Paul C

Thanks, Paul..I'll have a look.

KB

Edit: Installed ICE and while it's pretty peppy performance-wise, it does not appear to offer the panorama style of the "tiny planet." Maybe I'm missing something.

Edit Dos: About ready to pull my hair out with this spherical pano. I shot another one and it worked as advertised. Hitting play and selecting that image, I see the tiny planet on the iPad. BUT, when I go to download it, I get this message:

Only 1080P or 720P videos and JPEG photos can be downloaded. Use a USB cable or SD Card Reader to download 4K Videos and RAW photos.

I SWEAR the pano was shot with JPEG selected, I certainly saw it on the status line up top.

Someone must have an answer in this vast resource of knowledge. :)

BTW, Paul, I gave up on ICE and I take back my compliment on its performance cuz it was taking forever to finish a single tiny planet. It only got through about half of the task in an HOUR so I closed it out. It's probably operator error. :) I haven't investigated this on the Web yet, but it would appear that PS CC 2018 will not do a tiny planet even though there is a "spherical" choice in the list. Not the same thing.

So....

How do we get the tiny planet off from Go4 if it isn't on the card?

And if I'm correct and PS won't do tiny planets, then what do some of you use other than MS ICE?

T'anks

Last edited:
Thanks, Paul..I'll have a look.

KB

Edit: Installed ICE and while it's pretty peppy performance-wise, it does not appear to offer the panorama style of the "tiny planet." Maybe I'm missing something.

Edit Dos: About ready to pull my hair out with this spherical pano. I shot another one and it worked as advertised. Hitting play and selecting that image, I see the tiny planet on the iPad. BUT, when I go to download it, I get this message:

Only 1080P or 720P videos and JPEG photos can be downloaded. Use a USB cable or SD Card Reader to download 4K Videos and RAW photos.

I SWEAR the pano was shot with JPEG selected, I certainly saw it on the status line up top.

Someone must have an answer in this vast resource of knowledge. :)

BTW, Paul, I gave up on ICE and I take back my compliment on its performance cuz it was taking forever to finish a single tiny planet. It only got through about half of the task in an HOUR so I closed it out. It's probably operator error. :) I haven't investigated this on the Web yet, but it would appear that PS CC 2018 will not do a tiny planet even though there is a "spherical" choice in the list. Not the same thing.

So....

How do we get the tiny planet off from Go4 if it isn't on the card?

And if I'm correct and PS won't do tiny planets, then what do some of you use other than MS ICE?

T'anks

Tiny planet on ICE is done using stereographic style. Put the curser in the center and pull up or down.
I had problems before with ICE not being able to generate PSD files, since the files were too large, but then moved the cache to a disk with more capacity and all works as it should. Might be worth checking if that is what is behind your performance issues. ICE works well for me. Takes a few minutes for a panorama...
  • What do I do if Image Composite Editor is filling up my hard disk?
    If you notice that your system disk is getting full, you can tell ICE to use another disk for temporary files. Here are the steps to follow:
    1. If you're working on a stitching project, close it by pressing the "Back" button until you reach ICE's welcome screen.
    2. Press the "Options" button (the gear-shaped icon) near the top-right corner of the ICE window.
    3. Click on item number 1 in the list of "Temporary file locations." By default, this list contains just one item that places scratch files on your system disk in "%TEMP%\Image Composite Editor\Cache".
    4. Click on "Change…" and choose or create a folder on another hard disk. (Note that you cannot change an item that is in use.)
    5. You can always click "Add…" to include more hard disks, but additional disks will only be used if the first disk fills up.

Each step takes less than 30sec here in ICE.
Exporting to Photoshop is MASSIVE(wants 60GB of space for temporary processing!) and usually pointless, given the monstrous output size already a 90% JPEG is way more than enough. TIFF if you really intend to do further intensive work on it.

Attachments

• PANO0001_stitch_s.jpg
    PANO0001_stitch_s.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 51
Last edited:

Paul C

Can someone please walk me through this? I have no idea how to access/find the "Save original" slider. Thanks in advance.

Does anyone know how to save the panorama photos as RAW files? Seems like a couple posts above me someone figured it out, but I have no idea what they're talking about.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13