DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro 2 Recovery

PaulAudet

Reactions
Any ideas on how to recover the bird? (It is about 200 ft. up hanging in the power lines).

Attachments

• MP2.png
    MP2.png
    744.9 KB · Views: 706
  • MP21.png
    MP21.png
    129.9 KB · Views: 640
  • MP22.jpg
    MP22.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 639
  • MP23.jpg
    MP23.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 662
  • MP24.jpg
    MP24.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 653
  • MP26.jpg
    MP26.jpg
    8.7 MB · Views: 621
Any ideas on how to recover the bird? (It is about 200 ft. up hanging in the power lines).
As other member said call power company.That is not coming down on its own.If they wanted to trace owner you may have details inside eg Mobile No.
If not they could get details from memory card or the Mavics log files.
Just call them and tell them your sorry.Or look for guys repairing a pylon and ask their advice.
So near and yet so far.

Was considering using another drone to try to rescue it, but it would probably end up with 2 Mavics stuck on the power line!

It looks like it was moving forward at a pretty good speed in order to push the front arms back. Another drone wouldn't have the capacity to lift it off even if you could come up with the courage to fly it up there. The cost of recovering the bird may be greater than the value of what's hanging there, especially considering that it may be damaged.

If you could get a kite string up there and snag it, it looks like you could pull it off. Just be ready to catch it on its way down.

Four years ago, I planted my old AR Drone way up in the top of a tree. I was able to tell it to start up again, and it dislodged itself and fell. The carbon fiber frame was broken after falling, but I was able to use tiny fiberglass rods for reinforcement and JB Weld to repair it. I flew it countless numbers of times after that. You'd never know anything happened. (Sorry if that's a bit off-topic.)

Last edited:
If you could get a kite string up there and snag it, it looks like you could pull it off. Just be ready to catch it on its way down.

Four years ago, I planted my old AR Drone way up in the top of a tree. I was able to tell it to start up again, and it dislodged itself and fell. The carbon fiber frame was broken after falling, but I was able to use tiny fiberglass rods for reinforcement and JB Weld to repair it. I flew it countless numbers of times after that. You'd never know anything happened. (Sorry if that's a bit off-topic.)
I don’t think that flying a kite anywhere near a power line is a good idea. I’m fairly certain that the power line won’t be insulated.

Are you serious? It is a power line, not a tree!
Do not risk to lose your life for a M2P!
Yes, call the power distribution company.

Reactions: Flynz and choo choo
Are you serious? It is a power line, not a tree!
Do not risk to lose your life for a M2P!
Yes, call the power distribution company.

Strings and power lines....... doesn't sound like a good idea.

To get the power company out there, it would require alot of their recources (money and time), especially since it is 200 ft. up! I was looking at a way to possibly get it with another drone.

Look around for a utility truck.Have $50 or better yet $100 bill ready and ask for advice.Hope they advise you to trade the $100 for getting the drone down.

Look around for a utility truck.Have $50 or better yet $100 bill ready and ask for advice.Hope they advise you to trade the $100 for getting the drone down.

Do they have utility trucks with a 200 ft. boom on them? I do not think I have ever seen one go that high.

If that's the lowest wire, it might be the ground/return wire.
Even so, bite the bullet and call the power company.

The ground is usually the top conductor, and it does look like it might be that one. Not that it makes any difference.

It is hard to say. But I mainly based my thought of it being the ground because it was thicker than the others.

Come to think of it, makes sense top one would be ground, for safety of large birds nesting.

It is hard to say. But I mainly based my thought of it being the ground because it was thicker than the others.

Come to think of it, makes sense top one would be ground, for safety of large birds nesting.

First, you have to stay away from high tension power lines because it’s super easy to die. You don’t even need to actually touch one, they can arc several feet.

Electricity is funny. Birds can safely rest on live high voltage wires. Oddly enough, sometimes humans dangle off of helicopters onto high tension lines for maintenance. The secret is that since the bird or helicopter are not grounded, there is no issue.

219EED92-6E65-426D-B72C-655000323E3A.jpeg

Trying to connect a string to that line reminds me of that sign....not only will this kill you, it will hurt the whole time you are dying.

6EBE5F9F-8985-4759-B766-21DB2E54AE36.jpeg

Lightning protection. Birds can happily sit on any of them.

Lightning protection. Birds can happily sit on any of them.
Yes, they can sit on any ONE of them, but large birds tend to manage contacting more than one, or building nests that traverses a wire and the tower. That's why they've constructed platforms on top of poles for them to safely build their nests on.

Yes, they can sit on any ONE of them, but large birds tend to manage contacting more than one, or building nests that traverses a wire and the tower. That's why they've constructed platforms on top of poles for them to safely build their nests on.

Those would have to be very large birds.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard