DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro-2 vs Zoom and P4P - Line Skipping + Sensor Heat?

One explanation remains. The limitation lies in the imaging sensor.

The more I look at the 4K from the P4P I am suspicious there is some onboard processing that gives an illusion of increased sharpness. The more I fly the mavic the more I like the output. Others have said it and I concur, it has a more film like feel to the processed footage and images. While I am not swallowing much of the deliberate crippling or engineering ineptness re thermal engineering theories I do, as I suspect most do, appreciate yours and others passion and knowledge here. It will be great if we get to the real explanation one day.

That's what needs to be ruled out before it can be concluded that the H3 is being deliberately underutilized.

Oh I understand that buddy. I'm just really happy right now. I just got home from flying my drone indoors for the last hour or so and it handled and operated PERFECTLY! Much better than the Mavic Pro ever did. This thing was rock solid and very confidence inspiring. My plan is to get some awesome shots for a friend's son's birthday party at an indoor go cart track next weekend.
Please don’t- really bad things could happen.......

That's what needs to be ruled out before it can be concluded that the H3 is being deliberately underutilized.
It’s an assumption on my part- if I didn’t make that clear. One that makes more sense to me than most of the other proposed scenarios. If only We knows which sensor package it was and SONY wasn’t so scant in the spec sheets we could have a better idea.

It’s an assumption on my part- if I didn’t make that clear. One that makes more sense to me than most of the other proposed scenarios. If only We knows which sensor package it was and SONY wasn’t so scant in the spec sheets we could have a better idea.
We know for a fact that ALL Sony EXMOR 1inch-type sensors can do full pixel readout which is about 14mp in 16x9 in 8bit 30fp/s. Even Sony's first 1inch-type Handycam AX100 could do it and that was the very first generation.

We are on the 3rd generation chip today. So we can be 100% certain that the Mavic-2 Pro's sensor has the collection and data buss speed to read and dump 14mp off to the image processor at 30fp/s in 8bit. This is a bare minimum or worst case scenario. 4k 60p could be possible if DJI is buying the latest stacked RS model sensor.

Now we know that the H3 can easily process that with no problem....as long as its "allowed" to....and if DJI can keep that camera box cool enough.

We know for a fact that ALL Sony EXMOR 1inch-type sensors can do full pixel readout which is about 14mp in 16x9 in 8bit 30fp/s. Even Sony's first 1inch-type Handycam AX100 could do it and that was the very first generation.

We are on the 3rd generation chip today. So we can be 100% certain that the Mavic-2 Pro's sensor has the collection and data buss speed to read and dump 14mp off to the image processor at 30fp/s in 8bit. This is a bare minimum or worst case scenario. 4k 60p could be possible if DJI is buying the latest stacked RS model sensor.

Now we know that the H3 can easily process that with no problem....as long as its "allowed" to....and if DJI can keep that camera box cool enough.
That’s still only 8bit though.... you have solved one mystery for me- it’s almost certainly not a sharpening trick on my P4 4K footage.... thanks.

Please don’t- really bad things could happen.......

I've flown indoors quite a bit. I actually have the prop cages for the Mavic Pro. I'm not sure what you're envisioning but I'm testing the drone indoors before I do any taping. Let's put it this way, it's no more concerning than filming a wedding.

I've flown indoors quite a bit. I actually have the prop cages for the Mavic Pro. I'm not sure what you're envisioning but I'm testing the drone indoors before I do any taping. Let's put it this way, it's no more concerning than filming a wedding.
Fair enough.... I’m not questioning your abilities- just considering the worst possible scenario.

Fair enough.... I’m not questioning your abilities- just considering the worst possible scenario.

There's always a reason to not do anything. He wants me to follow his son around the track with one of my drones. I understand anything can happen but if it's any consolation, all the kids wear helmets and the track is separated from the rest of the building.

Very likely.
Remember the postponed announcement?

I can imagine some dji boss coming to the mavic department asking "are you crazy. wtf are you doing. whos gonna buy other, more expensive product."

There is no way in creation that DJI could have made a switch like that in just a bit more than a month. While this may be entertaining it is really not fair to many readers to speculate wildly like that.

I am waiting for one of you criticizing contributors to have the guts to open up your drone and put this to rest.

There is no way in creation that DJI could have made a switch like that in just a bit more than a month. While this may be entertaining it is really not fair to many readers to speculate wildly like that.

I am waiting for one of you criticizing contributors to have the guts to open up your drone and put this to rest.
Unfair how? People have made it clear they are working largely with assumption and speculation. What is a little amazing is to what extent some of arguably more far fetch conspiracy’s theories are being entertained.

Unfair how? People have made it clear they are working largely with assumption and speculation. What is a little amazing is to what extent some of arguably more far fetch conspiracy’s theories are being entertained.

Hey those crazy theories are fun though.

HQ mode is not digital zoom - that would involve upsampling. HQ mode is 1:1 4k from the sensor.
While what you say is correct vis a vis pixel resolution, I have to say that I've heard the term "digital zoom" used countless times to refer to this sort of function as well as upscaling.

We lack the terminology to distinguish between optical (lens-based) zoom, upscaling, and oversampling(?) and then downscaling, which at some point becomes 1:1 in terms of captured pixels and output pixels.

With this big sensor it would be possible to implement a real digital zoom that doesn't lose detail, up to the HQ mode field of view.

While what you say is correct vis a vis pixel resolution, I have to say that I've heard the term "digital zoom" used countless times to refer to this sort of function as well as upscaling.

We lack the terminology to distinguish between optical (lens-based) zoom, upscaling, and oversampling(?) and then downscaling, which at some point becomes 1:1 in terms of captured pixels and output pixels.

With this big sensor it would be possible to implement a real digital zoom that doesn't lose detail, up to the HQ mode field of view.

Digital zoom is taking a finite resolution output, and increasing the pixel size to simulate zoom function at the loss of resolution and detail. What the Mavic does is known as a sensor crop, and it is petty much a standard way of achieving 4k output from a non native 4k sensor. It is really the truest form of 4k that can be achieved by the sensor because the output is 1:1 representation of what the sensor sees. Any other output, such as full field of view, requires an algorithm to convert it to 4k, so the final image quality will always be at the mercy of that algorithm. The truest form of 4k that can be achieved from this sensor is HQ crop mode, as it is implemented. Obviously AA filters and post processing will further affect subjective image quality, regardless of how that image is obtained before that stage.

There is no digital zoom of any kind in the M2P.

Reactions: Dronefriend

Maybe so, but I've always regarded digital zoom as cropping and upsampling to maintain an image size. Simply cropping to a smaller format, in this case 4k, isn't digital zoom by that definition.

Reactions: kilomikebravo
I finally got around to shoot some Full Frame 4K. To this day all my footage was HQ. Sorry about getting into this s bit late but aside from maybe a bit better color resolution it looks very much like Full Frame is indistinguishable from upscaled 2.7K. Very interesting. I’ve been able to shoot both under same conditions and after comparing a quality upscaled 2.7K I was hard pressed to find any difference short of maybe a bit “fuller, more natural appearing colors” on the full frame version.

I haven't read every post on this thread so I might have missed something. But, assuming Cliff (OP) is right about the way the sensor is scanned, I note the effect that might on video output, but I assume that photography wouldn't have the same effect on heating the sensor so would the entire sensor be used for photography?

I haven't read every post on this thread so I might have missed something. But, assuming Cliff (OP) is right about the way the sensor is scanned, I note the effect that might on video output, but I assume that photography wouldn't have the same effect on heating the sensor so would the entire sensor be used for photography?

It absolutely is. The quality of the raw stills is excellent and unchallenged.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
capitalinguists