DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro-2 vs Zoom and P4P - Line Skipping + Sensor Heat?

I have the M2pro. Cliffs video confirmed what I was seeing in 4k. Both settings lacked clarity to the point that even I could see no clearer resolution than my Mp1 got in 4k. More vibrant color and better in dim conditions as well. I compared my Mp2 in 4k to my Mp1 in 2.7. The Mp1 in 2.7 was actually a tiny bit better. The 2 in 4k should have looked way better. That's why I bought it. I just sent it back this morning and ordered a Mp zoom as I think I'll be happier with that

Whatever...

Yes we are saying the same thing, the right way to do this is supersample (like the P4P, Parrot Anafi both 20MP drones do), reading all the pixels (around 16.6MP in 16:9 crop) and then combining all these values into the 8MP frame for 4K FOV or 2MP for 1080p. Granted the sensor cannot read 16.6MP@60fps so full supersampling cannot be done at 1080@60, but at least it should be as good as in other drones with 20MP sensor and it isn't currently.

Okay, I admit you guys are geniuses and I'm stupid but how did you know how the Anafi handles video?

They Mavic-2 Pro's camera "box" is absolutely TINY. It's a miracle DJI can keep it cool at all!

Limiting the surface area that is being used can help cool that puppy down. Limiting surface area usage via line skipping or FOV center crop can help. The only other way to cool it with software was to slow that read clock but that was a huge "no no" as rolling shutter would get worse and worse.

The M2P camera housing is an inch and a quarter wide and only 3/8" is being used for HQ video so the box is not as tiny as it might seem.

Take a look and think again... https://youtu.be/q5vjPi2wavc
Great, a video. It won't change what I've seen in my computer with my own eyes. I'm a photographer, and can appreciate nuances in detail. Anyone with an untrained eye can tell the difference between what the m2p is outputting. Hence I'm using it for photography - the raw photos coming out of this thing is amazing for size.

nice, and thx for posting. If you shoot the same thing in 2.7, it will look exactly the same.

Don’t forget this is YouTube (not original) AND you would actually have to watch it on a 4K TV otherwise, of course you could shoot it in 1080p and it would look the same.

Okay, I admit you guys are geniuses and I'm stupid but how did you know how the Anafi handles video?
I'm sorry, but I could not resist.... why are you so butt-hurt with this threat? If you bluntly deny all the facts provided to you and get political (last resort to be considered, better yet avoided on a public platform) why would you not roam in other topics with all other happy owners of this product, and discuss all the greatness and pray to gods!? Why not simply ignore this topic instead of trying to prove everyone wrong, the contributors and the owners who simply demand what they have a right for!? Seriously? You can create your own thread and talk DJI's blessing and politics at the same time and I am pretty sure none of these guys would ever interfere. Your contribution would have been much more valuable if you would prove your point argumentatively, by providing your own test results for example, and not your subjective opinion with a pinch of insult.

videographers have been kind-of “brainwashed” looking at and getting used to over sharpened 8-bit footage and now that we get 10-bit video
- you can't be serious on that! over-sharpened 8bit footage? We are talking barely 2.7k real resolution in a 4k package - not sharpening... You can always soften a good quality image to create that film-like effect, but you can never extract more details out of a soft image.

Reactions: yysc and mcsenerd
The butthurt is strong on this one lol

First the 3DR forum now here. It doesn't take a genius to see the video from the M2P doesn't stand up to even the Zoom, or my Anafi for that matter. Maybe with post, low light... it excels but DJI should have marketed it that way not point and shoot.

Is it true that in FOV mode, I would actually get better result in Zoom? I was actually missing the zoom feature when I got the pro, now should I return the pro and get the zoom? This will really make it easier for me. I am 90% video and 10% still. I am getting the Pro because of the 10 bit D-log M mode. However, I am not sure if my untrained eyes will really detect 10 bit and 8 bit, or is it a big difference? I am upgrading my computer because of this drone, so my 10 bit D-log is sitting there unedited until my new rig got put together. But I only have 3 days to return it for the Zoom. Please advise!

This is a very entertaining thread... I'm sort of in the camp that I think I'll wait and see if DJI can make this right before tossing the baby out with the bath water. I'm coming from the original MP and I personally find that even with resolution not quite up to par, that I'm pretty happy with other aspects of the drone anyway. All that being said, I too think that DJI has a problem here even if it's just one of perception. I know that I'd perceive paying a premium for the better camera better darn well come with a premium performance delta between it and a cheaper, less endowed drone. And heck, I sent back the Zoom because the more I started thinking about it, the more I became convinced that the better camera would allow me more room to grow as a videographer and photographer.

I was waiting for the Philip Bloom review, and it finally came out. Case closed, I'm getting the Pro. This guy REALLY knows what he's talking about regarding video quality, and for him the Pro is much better than the Zoom, more because of the 10-bit than the sensor size. He doesn't discuss "full fov-gate" directly but when asked about it in the comments he says that yes, he expected line-skipping because of the existence of the HQ mode, and yes, because of that the P4P image is better in full fov, but the Pro image is still very good and he plans to use this drone most of the time. This from a filmmaker who has an Inspire. Importantly he also says he saw the test videos but pays more attention to real-life footage. And his full fov footage looks great. If you don't want to deal with post production, get the Zoom, otherwise Pro all the way.

Reactions: jarmokan
das
I was waiting for the Philip Bloom review, and it finally came out. Case closed, I'm getting the Pro. This guy REALLY knows what he's talking about regarding video quality, and for him the Pro is much better than the Zoom, more because of the 10-bit than the sensor size. He doesn't discuss "full fov-gate" directly but when asked about it in the comments he says that yes, he expected line-skipping because of the existence of the HQ mode, and yes, because of that the P4P image is better in full fov, but the Pro image is still very good and he plans to use this drone most of the time. This from a filmmaker who has an Inspire. Importantly he also says he saw the test videos but pays more attention to real-life footage. And his full fov footage looks great. If you don't want to deal with post production, get the Zoom, otherwise Pro all the way.
That proves this guy has „no clue“, maybe even not a 4K screen to judge since you won‘t see a difference on a FHD screen.
In real life sceenes IT IS a relevant difference between P4pro 4K30p and M2P FFOV!

das

That proves this guy has „no clue“, maybe even not a 4K screen to judge since you won‘t see a difference on a FHD screen.
In real life sceenes IT IS a relevant difference between P4pro 4K30p and M2P FFOV!
So you're saying that this filmmaker for whom image quality is by far the most important thing is "clueless"? Seriously? Do you know who Philip Bloom is? And btw, he did agree that the P4P image was somewhat better, just not enough better to outweigh the other advantages of the Pro 2.

Reactions: jarmokan
Most of the case
Had about 4 guys I know in our local rc club return their MP2's for these reasons and the lens bending problem. I think it is awesome there are people out there looking out for others that consider these products to cost a great deal, thus great to have the guides that tell us to save or buy now. My major issues with DJI are always that Go4 app. It's horrible. Works, then doesn't, but when the product is used for making money that gets real aggravating.

I know it bugs the real DJI fan loyal base of people, but I like to have as much info as possible. I see great things about them, I see other photos and videos that demo it's not what it was cracked up to be. Then I hear it's awesome in low light. I don't fly at night. I have a 60D and a D750 for low light shots I can get from a building if necessary, and that is legal.

Why are people getting political about a drone? lmao

LoL these your local RC club heroes are noobs who don't know how to apply lens correction in post which takes 10 seconds :D stick with your Chinese clone drones!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure