DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro-2 vs Zoom and P4P - Line Skipping + Sensor Heat?

I actually see a little more detail at 4K FOV in your real world example. It certainly looks like detail could be better, but all in all I think the situation is a lot less grim than many in this thread suggest.

If your refer to the water-tower and the attached antennas, yes it looks like as if the 4K FOV shows slight more details. But unfortunately these are only artefacts caused by the sharpening setting. I'll ad a shot with a decent camera, which shows how it looks like in reality.

I remember reading through a lot of dpreview posts about how guys upgraded from Canon sureshot cameras to DSLRs only to find the DLSR images softer and less punchy, and all around inferior. The 5d Mkii was bloody awful as a video camera, but it didn't stop movies and TV shows from using it with purely acceptable results.

I know we want to see every single leaf on every single tree in the background of our videos, but the obsession is pretty outrageous here. I mean seriously, if you are that upset you really should sell the drone and get a different brand, or product. The M2P is a hot item right now, and I'm sure you could recoup most of your investment.

As for those saying we've been lied to, DJI doesn't make a single claim about resolving power. They could upsample 720p to 2160p and legally call it a 4k drone. Don't get me wrong, I hope we see some improvement in an update at some point, but as it is now the drone flies better than the 4, has better sensors than the 4, is more compact and sleek than the 4, has equal flight time to the 4, and better color/dynamic range than the 4. I'm not going to kick it out of bed because I can't pick out the hairs on a squirrel's nuts. Even Cliff said he loves the drone in the original video. It was meant as a PSA, and as a question to DJI more than lynching fuel.

Real talk. Why didn't you just send it back if you're this unhappy? You had to have noticed this "terrible" and "crappy" video quality before Cliff told you it was bad. Why did you keep it? Honestly, I don't understand. It's like working with a woman who's husband gets drunk and beats her every weekend. Every Monday there's a new bruise and story... I wonder if we should start a battered drone pilots home or something?

Categorically no. I posted in RCGroups my first negative impressions on 4K FOV on September 2nd see the link below:
Official DJI Mavic 2 ***Owner Thread*** - Page 90 - RC Groups

Cliff posted his video on September 14th. My Palantir didn't anticipate this, otherwise I would have also mentioned that on September 2nd. Since I ordered during launch event now I'm far out of the return window. I didn't return it in time as I was (still am?) expecting 4K FOV to be improved via FW upgrade.

Photos are fine. 4K HQ is okay but a waste of a 1" sensor. I stopped posting in RCGroups since there are some true DJI fanatics over there really hard to stand, arguing with you is enjoyable in comparision.

If your refer to the water-tower and the attached antennas, yes it looks like as if the 4K FOV shows slight more details. But unfortunately these are only artefacts caused by the sharpening setting. I'll ad a shot with a decent camera, which shows how it looks like in reality.

I can also see vertical lines on the AC unit in 4k that aren't visible in the 2.7k sample. It's definitely not night and day, but the two are not the same.

Well considering 2.7K is roughly 4MP and 4K is 8MP. Having double the information should provide more than a very slight detail increase over 2.7K.

I took a picture of my M2P and supersampled to 4K (cropping to 16:9) and also supersampled to 2.7K. Both bicubic. Then I increased the zoom of 2.7K by 150% to match 4K size and similar to Sockeye comparision.

The difference is obvious and this is what we should see, and not the very light detail increase from 2.7K 4MP to 4K 8MP.

rvkcqr.jpg

Hey that's pretty cool! How high up were you?

Categorically no. I posted in RCGroups my first negative impressions on 4K FOV on September 2nd see the link below:

Cliff posted his video on September 14th. My Palantir didn't anticipate this, otherwise I would have also mentioned that on September 2nd. Since I ordered during launch event now I'm far out of the return window. I didn't return it in time as I was (still am?) expecting 4K FOV to be improved via FW upgrade.

Photos are fine. 4K HQ is okay but a waste of a 1" sensor. I stopped posting in RCGroups since there are some true DJI fanatics over there really hard to stand, arguing with you is enjoyable in comparision.

Aww thanks! Just for the record, I was never arguing about the video quality. I know it's a touchy subject with some of you but I still maintain that we were told that the FOV mode was less detailed than the HQ mode. Believe it or not, I'm sorry that so many of you are upset. I'm super happy with my drone but I didn't have some of your expectations, had no idea who Hasselblad was, didn't come from a P4P and expected inferior video quality in FOV. I can see that you guys believe that it shouldn't be there, I understand that. I wish everyone was as satisfied as I am with the product and we could spend this time talking about flying and editing techniques , instead of this.

Btw but if you posted "negative" impressions, why not send it back? I almost sent mine back over the Crystalsky mount and app situation! Hahaha!

Wow....I really have to say that I SEVERLY underestimated how many people would actually care about this subject and my video. I had no plans to ever upload it but after a long talk with a friend at work, he convinced me to post these results and make some fast commentary and get it out there. I honestly thought that only a hundred super pixel peeping nerds would ever watch it. I was dead wrong! It seems that a lot more people care about detail and resolution than I ever expected.

At this point, there is very little to debate. DJI says FOV is a degraded read out mode. Its clearly noticable by many people. (Even by people that have never seen my video before) Yes, it's REAL and not an imaginary issue. FOV's problem is pretty much a fully established FACT now that nobody can deny anymore.

So what is left to argue about? Not much! Its all down to one thing: Does the M2P work for YOU? Nobody should care what I think or what anybody else thinks. This is ONLY about the needs of the person that spent the money to buy the M2P....thats it! (Oh,...if you have customers buying your work, then their opinion matters too!)

If you say you hate FOV's look...nobody can call you stupid. If you say that FOV is fine and you are perfectly happy to use it....nobody can say you are crazy.

The debate about how DJI subsamples,...or "if" FOV is really "4k" or not or even if DJI marketing over- hyped people into buying the MP2....its all pretty much over now.

Its just this now: "Does the M2P's limitations work for you or not" thats the only true debate left. And...this is an INTERNAL debate that has no right or wrong answer. Only the buyer can say "yes" or "no" to that final question. Nobody can ever scold you by saying "FOV looks great to me....and it SHOULD look great for you too!!!"

For me? I could not have the M2P as my only drone. But, because I own others, the M2P has a good place in my drone toolbox or my "fleet" if you will. I can agree with people that love it and a fully understand when others say they hate it. I have my own love/hate relationship with it. Lol

Wow....this has very unexpectedly turned out to be one heck of a debate!!!

Last edited:
Wow....I really have to say that I SEVERLY underestimated how many people would actually care about this subject and my video. I had no plans to ever upload it but after a long talk with a friend at work, he convinced me to post these results and make some fast commentary and get it out there. I honestly thought that only a hundred super pixel peeping nerds would ever watch it. I was dead wrong! It seems that a lot more people care about detail and resolution than I ever expected.

At this point, there is very little to debate. DJI says FOV is a degraded read out mode. Its clearly noticable by many people. (Even by people that have never seen my video before) Yes, it's REAL and not an imaginary issue. FOV's problem is pretty much a fully established FACT now that nobody can deny anymore.

So what is left to argue about? Not much! Its all down to one thing: Does the M2P work for YOU? Nobody should care what I think or what anybody else thinks. This is ONLY about the needs of the person that spent the money to buy the M2P....thats it! (Oh,...if you have customers buying your work, then their opinion matters too!)

If you say you hate FOV's look...nobody can call you stupid. If you say that FOV is fine and you are perfectly happy to use it....nobody can say you are crazy.

The debate about how DJI subsamples,...or "if" FOV is really "4k" or not or even if DJI marketing over- hyped people into buying the MP2....its all pretty much over now.

Its just this now: "Does the M2P's limitations work for you or not" thats the only true debate left. And...this is an INTERNAL debate that has no right or wrong answer. Only the buyer can say "yes" or "no" to that final question. Nobody can ever scold you by saying "FOV looks great to me....and it SHOULD look great for you too!!!"

For me? I could not have the M2P as my only drone. But, because I own others, the M2P has a good place in my drone toolbox or my "fleet" if you will. I can agree with people that love it and a fully understand when others say they hate it. I have my own love/hate relationship with it. Lol

Wow....this has very unexpectedly turned out to be one heck of a debate!!!

well the debate is they are selling a new version of a product with worst video quality. That's just not right. Given the same FOV, the mavic 1 actually beats the mavic 2 in 4k?

well the debate is they are selling a new version of a product with worst video quality. That's just not right. Given the same FOV, the mavic 1 actually beats the mavic 2 in 4k?
The M2P has better real world quality than the M1. Not to mention the adjustable aperature vs the fixed f2.2 on the M1. See the video below.

The truth is, most people complaining don’t even know how to properly color grade or tell a good story. Or haven’t even invested in the necessary tools to produce quality footage all-around. Put the camera in the right hands with the right software and it can get the job done. Many people putting so much effort into a very minute difference when they should be applying that effort into working on other aspects of their craft which matter more.

Bottom line: if you’re not happy, return it or sell it if you’re past the return period. They’re selling over in the classified section for around $1450 and go buy a P4P and lug it around for a slight improvement. Or buy an Inspire 1/X5R combo or an Inspire 2 and put end to all doubt if quality is as important as many of you make it out to be. DJI isn’t forcing you to keep the product and offer you your money back for 14 days if you’re not satisfied.

Last edited:
As a someone who purchased this drone for still photography and not video, I don't think I've ever made a video in my life unless you count recording my cats on a cell phone, I am a little bit disappointed from reading this. I almost cancelled my order after talking to customer service on an unrelated issue, which I will detail at the bottom of this post if you're curious so it can be easily ignored if you're not, and now I almost regret not following through with that decision.

As far as the barrel distortion, that's a normal thing that I fully expect but I just think it's kind of weird that they don't compensate for it on board. I can't think of any cameras that don't lens correct with the image processor. It's fixable in post but it just seems weird that they wouldn't just take care of it as the image is being recorded.

As far as the Hassleblad name, well I didn't expect that they actually designed the camera. Designing lenses and sensors are one, very difficult, thing and making the information you get from those into pictures is another and when I read that they had used Hassleblad's color science that was actually a pretty big plus for me. Color rendition is a major part of camera choice at least with me and my friends. Personally I prefer Fuji because of how they express skin tones. When Sony started making cameras they didn't try to recruit a bunch of guys to learn how to make lenses all over again, they bought Konica-Minolta who had a whole dept filled with people who had spent their professional lives designing lenses. DJI did the same with Hassleblad and when I read the description it seemed pretty clear to me that color processing was their contribution. Anyway that it was a Sony sensor and a mystery lens was a non issue for me and expected because Hassleblad doesn''t make either of those.

Capture.PNG

No, what really bums me out is the sensor size. I honestly don't know anything about smaller sensors and I actually couldn't tell you the first thing about micro 4/3 or anything smaller. I have no background in TV video tubes at all and until I read this thread I wouldn't have been able to guess if a 1/2.3 sensor was huge or tiny. Turns out it ridiculously tiny. I honestly thought a 1" sensor was 1". Inch is what the " means to me and 1" means that it one inch in some measurement. And before someone says "how could you believe that a one inch size sensor could fit in a camera that small" remember that I bought this thing online. I don't know how big it is. I mean I know it's small for a drone and I have some idea as to its scale from pictures and reviews but I have never seen a drone up close in my life. I live in Houston and I work outside for a living and I can tell you that this is a city where people don't go outside unless they have to because everyone is afraid of getting mugged.....and the sun. There are not many chance encounters with neighborhood RC enthusiast. Anyway I was excited for the sensor size, a 1" sized sensor is respectably large. I would expect lots of latitude with a sensor that size and after watching the review with the landscape photographer who says that you can't really adjust exposure I'm honestly kinda bummed out. I'm still going to give it a go but if it turns out that the raws aren't really useable this is going to turn into a pretty expensive, a admittedly impressive, toy that I'll almost never have time to play with. I really wish they would not have advertised it as having a 1" sensor.

They had it listed as "Estimated to ship 1 business day after payment confirmation." and after five business days passed with no shipping confirmation I sent an email to their customer service department and two days after not hearing a response from that I live chatted them. I was told it would ship on October 22nd because the slip case had become out of stock in the time since my order. I asked that they just refund me for the case if they didn't want to send two shipments and they actually just told me to go ahead and wait to the 22nd. They literally told me that I should just wait and not to worry about how long it's taking so I told them to just cancel the whole order and I would buy their product from one of their vendors and after several minutes of silence on their side they offered me a third option of just refunding me for the slip case and shipping out whenever which I agreed to. I ordered a Hubsan X4, along with a five pack of batteries, so I could have some familiarity with drone piloting before my first flight with my expensive new camera, and Amazon somehow got it to me like eight hours later. Obviously not everyone can be Amazon but don't tell me you're shipping tomorrow and then a week and a half later tell me to just relax and give it another couple of weeks.

Last edited:
The truth is, most people complaining don’t even know how to properly color grade or tell a good story. Or haven’t even invested in the necessary tools to produce quality footage all-around. Put the camera in the right hands with the right software and it can get the job done. Many people putting so much effort into a very minute difference when they should be applying that effort into working on other aspects of their craft which matter more.

I would venture to say most Mavic buyers are consumer's not prosumers; this is not an Inspire or Matrice. This is the argument of the DJI reps over at RCG get the Zoom for point and shoot or the Pro and expect post. DJI should make this clear to M2P buyers.

I would venture to say most Mavic buyers are consumer's not prosumers; this is not an Inspire or Matrice. This is the argument of the DJI reps over at RCG get the Zoom for point and shoot or the Pro and expect post. DJI should make this clear to M2P buyers.
Apparently not, since we are having this discussion and people unrealistically blowing up screengrabs to 400% and pixel peeping. That’s not typical consumer behavior, that’s professional antics from a consumer drone. Sure, I’m all about getting great value for the buck but the unrealistic expectations from this drone are getting out of hand.

How was it not made clear? They promised the LUT at launch and delivered on their promise, for shooting in D-Log. That clearly entails post production. Ignorance of the customer is not DJI’s fault.

The M2P has better real world quality than the M1. Not to mention the adjustable aperature vs the fixed f2.2 on the M1. See the video below.

Bottom line: if you’re not happy, return it or sell it if you’re past the return period. They’re selling over in the classified section for around $1450 and go buy a P4P and lug it around for a slight improvement. Or buy an Inspire 1/X5R combo or an Inspire 2 and put end to all doubt if quality is as important as many of you make it out to be. DJI isn’t forcing you to keep the product and offer you your money back for 14 days if you’re not satisfied.

Better real world quality than M1? How? Show proof. Color? Certainly not resolution. Did you even watch that video with the test chart???

Better real world quality than M1? How? Show proof. Color? Certainly not resolution. Did you even watch that video with the test chart???
Do you even own a Mavic 2?

The quality of the Mavic 2 is better than the Mavic 1. If you cant see that from all the videos on YouTube that compare the two, then go buy the drone you think is better or keep your Mavic 1. Go watch a low light footage video of the M2 pro on YouTube and try to do that with your Mavic 1, you can’t because the M1 has a fixed aperature with an incapable sensor. Case closed.

Last edited:
Reactions: c.m.s
Apparently not, since we are having this discussion and people unrealistically blowing up screengrabs to 400% and pixel peeping. That’s not typical consumer behavior, that’s professional antics from a consumer drone. Sure, I’m all about getting great value for the buck but the unrealistic expectations from this drone are getting out of hand.

How was it not made clear? They promised the LUT at launch and delivered on their promise, for shooting in D-Log. That clearly entails post production. Ignorance of the customer is not DJI’s fault.

Many M1 owners were not expecting to do post and are training to do so with the M2P. We're having this discussion because expectations we're not met for many and the self appointed experts dived in.

Reactions: yysc
Yep sure do, and also a p4p
Then why in a post just yesterday, you are asking others if the 4K is an improvement over the M1? You can’t make the justification yourself? The capability and the adjustable aperature make the camera better than the M1. The M2P is capable in low light, the M1 isn’t. If that doesn’t justify it for you then this is a mute discussion.

You bashed the M1P when that came out and now you’re bashing the M2P.

Reactions: c.m.s
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fbri7