DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro-2 vs Zoom and P4P - Line Skipping + Sensor Heat?

They should release a firmware with this:

4K FOV in 8-bit
2,7K FOV in 10bit

No HQ mode.. that is just like digital zoom. Can be done in POST if necessary.

That would make me very happy!

4K FOV in 8-bit
2,7K FOV in 10bit

No thanks.... The 10bit looks very nice, even with the lack of performance on the test charts and the HQ mode is great (and proper 4K). They can't keep everyone happy probably. Way it is.

4K FOV in 8-bit
2,7K FOV in 10bit

HQ mode is not digital zoom - that would involve upsampling. HQ mode is 1:1 4k from the sensor.

No thanks.... The 10bit looks very nice, even with the lack of performance on the test charts and the HQ mode is great (and proper 4K). They can't keep everyone happy probably. Way it is.
You prefer to keep the 10-bit HQ mode you mean? Other than that, my suggestion have no negatives in it from the modes available as of now. I just want myself and people to be able to choose full 4K in FOV if we want it, and if 8-bit only is the way to do that, then I would like that option.

HQ mode is not digital zoom - that would involve upsampling. HQ mode is 1:1 4k from the sensor.
Thanks, didn't know.

I wish Sony wouldn't have crammed in so many pixels on the sensor. If they had only used 4K for the full sensor we would have had larger pixels and full read-out in FOV, probably.

Thanks, didn't know.

I wish Sony wouldn't have crammed in so many pixels on the sensor. If they had only used 4K for the full sensor we would have had larger pixels and full read-out in FOV, probably.
If you have no use for the 20mpx stills the M2Zoom is probably the better option for you. Based on your wish list.

Reactions: kilomikebravo
If you have no use for the 20mpx stills the M2Zoom is probably the better option for you. Based on your wish list.
I prefer more dynamic range and better light sensitivity from less but larger pixels, yes. Absolutely.

The Zoom has even smaller pixels and therefore has even worse DR and light sensitivity.

But you are right: At least the 5.2K (or whatever it is) sensor is not fully useless. It is great for still photography.

Thanks, didn't know.

Agreed - that's arguably a good strategy if this were purely for video but, just like the RX100, it's intended for photography too. This is an interesting lesson for those unfamiliar with camera technology in the compromises required to do both.

You prefer to keep the 10-bit HQ mode you mean? Other than that, my suggestion have no negatives in it from the modes available as of now. I just want myself and people to be able to choose full 4K in FOV if we want it, and if 8-bit only is the way to do that, then I would like that option.

I honestly can't figure out if some of you own this drone or not. In normal color the Pro shoots in 8 bit afaik. I'm under the impression that 10 bit doesn't come into play until you utilize DLog or HLG. So your prayers have been answered. Just shoot in normal color.

Agreed - that's arguably a good strategy if this were purely for video but, just like the RX100, it's intended for photography too. This is an interesting lesson for those unfamiliar with camera technology in the compromises required to do both.

It's my understanding that almost all digital cameras have to make comprises when shooting video. I doubt my Nikon uses 24MP to shoot video...

I think the answer lies in the supported readout modes of the sensors.

The 1/2.3” sensor in the zoom supports full readout (no line addition) at 17:9 59.97 fps. The 1” sensor can’t do this. Perhaps all we might be dirty on DJI for is not employing a higher spec sensor. We probably can’t fairly allege they have deliberately crippled the hardware.View attachment 49833
These Sony specs apply more to 12bit photographs. For 8bit video in a 16x9 data crop, these numbers go way up.

Also, Sony generally has two common 1inch-type sensor models being used right now. The 1inch-type EXMOR-"R" model that is standard back side illuminated. They also have a newer generation "RS" that is very sophisticated. This is is a fully stacked BSI layering with integrated RAM onboard the image sensor and I believe a higher data lane buss design. This sensor is screamingly fast!

We dont know which one DJI uses on the Mavic-2 Pro yet. I'm still very cautious about Ambarella H3 SOC reports right now.

CT

Reactions: Category 5
We've known for a while now that the M2P uses the Ambarella H3 unless there is another processor in the M2P with a giant "H3" logo written on it:

84Hp7E3.jpg

There are many factors that contribute to heat, not just the processor.

I'm certainly not saying you are wrong. Is this your photograph or did it come from a source you know? So far, this is the only picture I have seen out there. What do you know about it's origin?

It would be great if we could get this answered once and for all.

CT

I'm certainly not saying you are wrong. Is this your photograph or did it come from a source you know? So far, this is the only picture I have seen out there. What do you know about it's origin?

It would be great if we could get this answered once and for all.

CT

It is not mine, I first noticed it on some RC forums back in September when I was curious about it myself. There is a video as well but I don't believe is shows this level of detail. I work in Photoshop daily and I have a pretty good eye for fakes, I don't think that is one but I have been wrong before. It's also possible another part is simply labeled "H3" but that would be quite the coincidence.

Are we 100% certain this is a real photo of a Mavic-2 motherbord? Could it be from another H3 product?

Ambarella stated that they are not delivering H3 for mavic (commenting price share drop).
Dji reps. on RCG stated; "it is not ambarella".

RX100 in its tiny body and with microphone built in, can have heating problem. But that will never be the case with any device that have such big metal radiator as the one mavic has. Plus ventilator as much as you want. Come on.

Hold on.....hmmmm......OK, this motherboard does not look like other Mavic-2 motherboard tear down photos we have seen.

Either this is a misidentified drone board....or, could this be a real Mavic-2 "prototype" board?

Lol....I really hate to speculate like this but. "Could" this be an early design with H3 and then DJI dumped that processor for a different design? "Could" DJI have originally planned on H3 and then bailed out on Ambarella at the last minute?

Lol.....nah...forget I said this! Haha

Very likely.
Remember the postponed announcement?

I can imagine some dji boss coming to the mavic department asking "are you crazy. wtf are you doing. whos gonna buy other, more expensive product."

Last edited:
RX100 in its tiny body and with microphone built in, can have heating problem. But that will never be the case with any device that have such big metal radiator as the one mavic has. Plus ventilator as much as you want. Come on.

If anything is overheating it's likely to be the sensor chip itself, and the Mavic 2 camera doesn't have a good heat sink.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet