DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro-2 vs Zoom and P4P - Line Skipping + Sensor Heat?

I can imagine some dji boss coming to the mavic department...."

I can imagine sony saying:
Now look here. If you are going to sell a camera, better than RX100VI, on a handheld gimbal for 1/2 RX price. We are not delivering anymore sensor to you.

Attachments

• DkK_VB_U8AABbk4.jpg
    DkK_VB_U8AABbk4.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 26
  • DkK_VCCUcAAp8Ke.jpg
    DkK_VCCUcAAp8Ke.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 23
Hold on.....hmmmm......OK, this motherboard does not look like other Mavic-2 motherboard tear down photos we have seen.

Either this is a misidentified drone board....or, could this be a real Mavic-2 "prototype" board?

Lol....I really hate to speculate like this but. "Could" this be an early design with H3 and then DJI dumped that processor for a different design? "Could" DJI have originally planned on H3 and then bailed out on Ambarella at the last minute?

Lol.....nah...forget I said this! Haha

Hard to say, its the right shape, just more torn down. Most dont remove the fan and shrouds covering the actual chips.

Comparison
DJI Mavic 2 Teardown: What’s inside? - RC Geeks Blog

Mavic-2-Pro-Teardown-mainboard-removed-bottom.jpg

Check the camera?

There could be RD mistake. There could be physical limitations. There could be many reasons, including overheating.

But I see it this way:
Mavic 1" sensor combined with hasselblad codec prove to be too good. In the craft line where price range is too low. So they crippled its full potential. On purpose.
And you can not blame them. Everybody (every serious company) would do the same.

There could be RD mistake. There could be physical limitations. There could be many reasons, including overheating.

But I see it this way:
Mavic 1" sensor combined with hasselblad codec prove to be too good. In the craft line where price range is too low. So they crippled its full potential. On purpose.
And you can not blame them. Everybody (every serious company) would do the same.

Okay I'm coming around on this conspiracy theory... GM did this in the 80s with the Fiero. They prototyped it with a turbocharged V6 and it was smoking the 'Vette so they killed it.

Last edited:

But I see it this way:

You see it that way because you want to see it that way. There is zero evidence for that and, frankly, I think it's a ludicrously contrived explanation. There are plenty of ways that they could have turned down the quality without abandoning full sensor readout - if that had been possible to begin with.

Yeah. You're right. It's H3 overheating issue.
Anyway. Here's the temperature. After 15 min. of 10bit recording on the table:

Attachments

• 1. starting temp. 23C.jpg
    1. starting temp. 23C.jpg
    884.6 KB · Views: 66
  • 2. metal radiator 45.6C.jpg
    2. metal radiator 45.6C.jpg
    814.1 KB · Views: 66
  • 3. camera 30.4C.jpg
    3. camera 30.4C.jpg
    968.4 KB · Views: 69
  • 4. camera heat sink 33.4C.jpg
    4. camera heat sink 33.4C.jpg
    965.5 KB · Views: 75
  • 5. chip above camera 39.6C.jpg
    5. chip above camera 39.6C.jpg
    995.8 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Reactions: Dronefriend
Yeah. You're right. It's H3 overheating issue.
Anyway. Here's the temperature. After 15 min. of 10bit recording on the table:

Firstly, it's not going to be overheating even if overheating was the original problem - if they did this to prevent it. Secondly, showing that it is not overheating is not evidence for your "DJI crippled it deliberately" hypothesis.

Reactions: kilomikebravo
No no, no. I've already said. You are right. Right because: It is not ludicrously to think that after 2 years of development they forgot to put another fan inside, cause nobody predicted overheating. It's also not ludicrously to think that there's no space to add fan, or that that fan would have impact on craft weight and/or fly behavior.
Its even not ludicrously to think; that they could use p4p processor. It is already in air body. It can read full 1" sensor. But they forgot it.

The only ludicrously thing is to think: too good mavic will have impact on sale of inspire and upcoming phantom.

Last edited:
No no, no. I've already said. You are right. Right because: It is not ludicrously to think that after 2 years of development they forgot to put another fan inside, cause nobody predicted overheating. It's also not ludicrously to think that there's no space to add fan, or that that fan would have impact on craft weight and/or fly behavior.
Its even not ludicrously to think; that they could use p4p processor. It is already in air body. It can read full 1" sensor. But they forgot it.

The only ludicrously thing is to think: too good mavic will have impact on sale of inspire and upcoming phantom.

Your weak attempts at sarcasm are really pointless. If you really don't know what you are talking about, which looks increasingly likely, please just stop posting.

Wow....ok, Im a believer now.

Its official, the Mavic-2's absolutely have one bad@ss Ambarella H3 image processor!

This is a top of the line SOC....now why is DJI NOT using all of its fantastic image scaling technology?

Why build a Ferrari but lock out the 4th and 5th gears of the transmission?

I have to STRONGLY suspect that all this Mavic-2 research and development, programming and hardware design will ALL be installed into the new Phantom 5. I have to believe that this motherboard was co-developed for both Mavics and Phantom 5 together simultaneously.

You dont go through all the trouble to buy and install an Ambarella H3 only to treat it LESS than a 3 year old H1!

If DJI had no intentions of ever utilizing most of the H3's features....than why buy it in the first place?

The plot thickens......

Reactions: Nikola P and Gotcha
Wow....ok, Im a believer now.

Its official, the Mavic-2's absolutely have one bad@ss Ambarella H3 image processor!

This is a top of the line SOC....now why is DJI NOT using all of its fantastic image scaling technology?

Why build a Ferrari but lock out the 4th and 5th gears of the transmission?

I have to STRONGLY suspect that all this Mavic-2 research and development, programming and hardware design will ALL be installed into the new Phantom 5. I have to believe that this motherboard was co-developed for both Mavics and Phantom 5 together simultaneously.

You dont go through all the trouble to buy and install an Ambarella H3 only to treat it LESS than a 3 year old H1!

If DJI had no intentions of ever utilizing most of the H3's features....than why buy it in the first place?

The plot thickens......
One explanation remains. The limitation lies in the imaging sensor.

The more I look at the 4K from the P4P I am suspicious there is some onboard processing that gives an illusion of increased sharpness. The more I fly the mavic the more I like the output. Others have said it and I concur, it has a more film like feel to the processed footage and images. While I am not swallowing much of the deliberate crippling or engineering ineptness re thermal engineering theories I do, as I suspect most do, appreciate yours and others passion and knowledge here. It will be great if we get to the real explanation one day.

Reactions: c.m.s
One explanation remains. The limitation lies in the imaging sensor.

The more I look at the 4K from the P4P I am suspicious there is some onboard processing that gives an illusion of increased sharpness. The more I fly the mavic the more I like the output. Others have said it and I concur, it has a more film like feel to the processed footage and images. While I am not swallowing much of the deliberate crippling or engineering ineptness re thermal engineering theories I do, as I suspect most do, appreciate yours and others passion and knowledge here. It will be great if we get to the real explanation one day.

See but an expansion is only required if there is actually a "problem"... All joking aside, I'm honestly happy with the camera. I would have never noticed any thing if this hadn't come out.

See but an expansion is only required if there is actually a "problem"... All joking aside, I'm honestly happy with the camera. I would have never noticed any thing if this hadn't come out.
My interested in the explanation is pure curiosity- I’m very happy with the M2P...

My interested in the explanation is pure curiosity- I’m very happy with the M2P...

Oh I understand that buddy. I'm just really happy right now. I just got home from flying my drone indoors for the last hour or so and it handled and operated PERFECTLY! Much better than the Mavic Pro ever did. This thing was rock solid and very confidence inspiring. My plan is to get some awesome shots for a friend's son's birthday party at an indoor go cart track next weekend.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet