DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro-2 vs Zoom and P4P - Line Skipping + Sensor Heat?

Its official, the Mavic-2's absolutely have one bad@ss Ambarella H3 image processor!
I'm actually having doubts its a real H3, the Ambarella's I've seen use a metallic heatspreader. Thinking it might be a custom SoC

1539594445143.png

Attachments

• 1539594400858.png
    1539594400858.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 39
I'm actually having doubts its a real H3, the Ambarella's I've seen use a metallic heatspreader. Thinking it might be a custom SoC

View attachment 50217

What other devices use the H3? The heat-spreader may be different based on the customers needs, in the PC world desktops have a metal cover since they have a dedicated fan, while laptops do not (or use a much smaller metal cover) because they use a custom cooling system and use one fan for multiple chips.

The m2 seems to use the 2nd approach with a single large metal heatspeader/shroud and a single fan.

We can also look for tear-downs of other devices with the H3...

What other devices use the H3? The heat-spreader may be different based on the customers needs, in the PC world desktops have a metal cover since they have a dedicated fan, while laptops do not (or use a much smaller metal cover) because they use a custom cooling system and use one fan for multiple chips.

The m2 seems to use the 2nd approach with a single large metal heatspeader/shroud and a single fan.

We can also look for tear-downs of other devices with the H3...

That's a good point actually. I was doing some computer work yesterday and noticed that two GPUs of the same model were different in appearance.

If that’s true it’s mildly entertaining they might ask their chip supplier to put a giant H3 on It. Distinct possibility.

I think the potential media blowback of that would be far too risky, especially since the chip is something that will almost never be seen without an all-out, warranty-voiding tear down.

Chips are almost always available in multiple interfaces and packages to suit the customer's needs, and Ambarella does have H2 and H22 variants shown online in a standard ceramic package. Heck, the image of the aluminum heat spreader above could even be a rendition, and not an actual processor.

There is something in the M2 called H3, and of it's not Ambarella I think it will look pretty shady on the part of DJI.

I think the potential media blowback of that would be far too risky, especially since the chip is something that will almost never be seen without an all-out, warranty-voiding tear down.

Chips are almost always available in multiple interfaces and packages to suit the customer's needs, and Ambarella does have H2 and H22 variants shown online in a standard ceramic package. Heck, the image of the aluminum heat spreader above could even be a rendition, and not an actual processor.

There is something in the M2 called H3, and of it's not Ambarella I think it will look pretty shady on the part of DJI.
I was joking. Its common knowledge semiconductor suppliers offer different package styles- including custom lettering.

Reactions: Category 5
Maybe its a Hambarello H3 ? :D

From what I understand its using custom SoC. A DJI rep in RCGroups confirmed that it is not Ambarella.

Pictures are not even affected by this so called video issue people are talking about. I think many are confused about this entire process and are now making it appear worse than it even is.. Just like people think ambarella soc is used, they are 100% wrong.

RC Groups - View Single Post - Official DJI Mavic 2 ***Owner Thread***

Make what you will of that.

Last edited:
Maybe its a Hambarello H3 ? :D

From what I understand its using custom SoC. A DJI rep in RCGroups confirmed that it is not Ambarella.

Pictures are not even affected by this so called video issue people are talking about. I think many are confused about this entire process and are now making it appear worse than it even is.. Just like people think ambarella soc is used, they are 100% wrong.

RC Groups - View Single Post - Official DJI Mavic 2 ***Owner Thread***

Make what you will of that.
People could always ask bladestrike or any of the others close to DJI who claim to know what SOC was employed if it’s really important to them.

250px-Allwinner_H3.jpg

Allwinner H3

• Ultra HD 4k and Full HD 1080p video decoding of MPEG-2, MPEG-4 SP/ASP GMC, H.263, H.264, H.265, WMV9/VC-1, and VP8
  • BD Directory, BD ISO and BD m2ts video decoding
  • H.264 High Profile 1080P@30fps encoding
  • 3840×1080,1920x2160 3D decoding
  • Complies with RTSP, HTTP,HLS,RTMP,MMS streaming media protocol

H3 - linux-sunxi.org

250px-Allwinner_H3.jpg

Allwinner H3

• Ultra HD 4k and Full HD 1080p video decoding of MPEG-2, MPEG-4 SP/ASP GMC, H.263, H.264, H.265, WMV9/VC-1, and VP8
  • BD Directory, BD ISO and BD m2ts video decoding
  • H.264 High Profile 1080P@30fps encoding
  • 3840×1080,1920x2160 3D decoding
  • Complies with RTSP, HTTP,HLS,RTMP,MMS streaming media protocol

H3 - linux-sunxi.org
Just a guess?

Doesn’t look like it will encode 4K or H265. It’s a few years old also.

I heard imaginations technologies made it, custom design, not off the shelf.
Just a rumor..

I heard imaginations technologies made it, custom design, not off the shelf.
Just a rumor..
Interesting....wen to this companies web site. I dont see anything there that makes me believe that they have any real experience in raw image sensor readout, RGGB deBayering, image processing, scaling or noise reduction abilities.....nothing at all.

I hope that if DJI left Ambarella, that they moved to another company with heavy camera image processing experience!

DJI could get burned if they go with a "no name" image processor. Hopefully they weren't sold on a great processor only to find out it wasnt what they thought it would be!

Who knows? This is actually turning out to be a super mystery. We have a possible DJI insider saying its NOT an Ambarella chip, we have Ambarella publically saying "DJI left us!" ...yet we still are seeing photos with "H3" on the mainboard.

WTF??

Interesting....wen to this companies web site. I dont see anything there that makes me believe that they have any real experience in raw image sensor readout, RGGB deBayering, image processing, scaling or noise reduction abilities.....nothing at all.

I hope that if DJI left Ambarella, that they moved to another company with heavy camera image processing experience!

DJI could get burned if they go with a "no name" image processor. Hopefully they weren't sold on a great processor only to find out it wasnt what they thought it would be!

Who knows? This is actually turning out to be a super mystery. We have a possible DJI insider saying its NOT an Ambarella chip, we have Ambarella publically saying "DJI left us!" ...yet we still are seeing photos with "H3" on the mainboard.

WTF??

I think all winner chip illustrates that any company can put "H3" on their chip.

Reactions: WithTheBirds

WTF??

Yep unfortunately thats all I heard about them, the company has been around a while with their PowerVR GPU's used in mobile phones (like iphone until recently). Perhaps if its custom design, DJI worked with them on it? I know the Autel Evo uses the H2 SoC and the same ceramic package that can be found online is also seen in the teardown on the FCC website.

EVORC582409A EVO Series Teardown Internal Photos Int Photos Autel Robotics Co., Ltd.

1539741152000.png3763664-5.png

I very much wish it was an Ambarella H3 so at least we could know what its capabilities were, but it doesnt change the fact that we got a 1" CMOS sensor that failed to live up to at least some peoples expectations, be it deliberate for product differentiation or due to technical limitations.

Reactions: tfj
Yep unfortunately thats all I heard about them, the company has been around a while with their PowerVR GPU's used in mobile phones (like iphone until recently). Perhaps if its custom design, DJI worked with them on it? I know the Autel Evo uses the H2 SoC and the same ceramic package that can be found online is also seen in the teardown on the FCC website.

EVORC582409A EVO Series Teardown Internal Photos Int Photos Autel Robotics Co., Ltd.

View attachment 50456View attachment 50455

I very much wish it was an Ambarella H3 so at least we could know what its capabilities were, but it doesnt change the fact that we got a 1" CMOS sensor that failed to live up to at least some peoples expectations, be it deliberate for product differentiation or due to technical limitations.

Nicely worded, I like that!

All other DJI drones image processors chip show valid data, cpu type, ..............
Why they wrote only h3 on top of chip in Mavic 2?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hcastro