DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro batteries swollen

Palliz

Reactions
Any reports on Mavic Pro batteries swelling? Have 4 batteries just noticed that 2 appear fine as normal. 2 slightly swollen/puffy - purchased them all at the same time. They are smart batteries supposed to auto discharge to make safe etc. I have them set to auto discharge at 5 days. The swelled batteries have correct voltage in all cells equally but not sure I can trust a battery that has started to swell up????

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
How old are they? If less than 6 months old, DJI will most likely replace them under warranty if you contact DJI Support.

Reactions: Fly Girl
How old are they? If less than 6 months old, DJI will most likely replace them under warranty if you contact DJI Support.
Older than 6 months for sure - 47 charges on ALL of them. 2 in perfect shape & 2 swelled up. Really didn't notice any problems or warnings with them at all except for the swelling they are holding good charge & fly the required time without falling off.
Have owned & flown P2V+ P3Pro P4Pro. Only the earlier 'non-smart' batteries were a problem & this reminds me of back then with problem batteries swelling up & dropping from 100% to 40% in 2 mins!!!!

I think that DJI honors the battery warranty for up to 1 year. It may be worth it to contact them.
Will have to check when I got them for sure - seems strange 2 swell other 2 perfect. Thought some others here would have commented if indeed there is a problem with these 'Smart' batteries

Heck I must have got one of the 1st Mavic Pros when they got released.................Oct 2016! Didn't receive until end of Nov like most folks. Purchased the bundle & 1 more battery making up the total 4. So I guess DJI won't be offering me replacements after all huh? Would be good to know if anyone else has found their batteries swelled up? Man I really take care of my stuff & it sux that these batteries have already swelled up. Just gonna have to pony up for replacements is all. can't afford to lose my Mavic!!!!!

Stating the obvious perhaps but once the battery has swollen do not use it or try to recharge it, even just out of curiosity. The electrolyte inside's gotten hot enough for some reason to gas out. Once the shape changes, even with the protective layers inside between anodes and cathodes things could still short out, and a lithium battery will run itself out of power that way very quickly. You might even consider storing it in the meantime somewhere "safe" i.e. a garage floor away from anything flammable.

Reactions: Fly Girl
Have the batteries ever been exposed to extreme ambient heat above say 110° (which can translate into 140° in a car) or cold below 0° f? I would file a claim with DJI. You have nothing to lose.

I have rarely seen DJI batteries swell, but after they do, they dont usually fit into the bird any more. I did a repair on a Phantom one time, and the battery was so swollen, I couldnt get it out without gorilla power.

Reactions: Mossiback
I would assume they have been stored for a while in deeep discharge state. This causes swelling batteries same as storing them fully charged.
I have 3 batteries from my Fly More combo, received at December 5th, 2016, all have more than 100 cycles now and are still healthy without swelling. Just a matter of correct handling.

I would assume they have been stored for a while in deeep discharge state. This causes swelling batteries same as storing them fully charged.
I have 3 batteries from my Fly More combo, received at December 5th, 2016, all have more than 100 cycles now and are still healthy without swelling. Just a matter of correct handling.
Nah - I am very careful with ALL my equipment - been there done that! Settled on the Mavic got rid of my other DJI Phantom selection & seriously believed the new Smart Batteries were the BOMB.............never stored in deep discharge state I generally fly to around 20% ( like most folks ) then charge up around 50% - charging fully day before going out to fly. Occasionally weather may be a factor in not flying so I trust the Smart battery will discharge them ( set to 5 days ) That's it! 2 swollen & 2 not.

Have the batteries ever been exposed to extreme ambient heat above say 110° (which can translate into 140° in a car) or cold below 0° f? I would file a claim with DJI. You have nothing to lose.

I have rarely seen DJI batteries swell, but after they do, they dont usually fit into the bird any more. I did a repair on a Phantom one time, and the battery was so swollen, I couldnt get it out without gorilla power.
I live in the tropics so yes it's hot - in & out of A/C too - Where would I start to file a claim with DJI - may as well give it a shot - as you say I have nothing to lose. As I stated earlier - anyone else out there have this problem - can't just be me can it???

Well that wasn't worth the effort! Contacted support & they said simply "out of warranty - suggest you buy new batteries"
Nothing about a problem with them swelling after less than 50 charges so hope this is only me & not a rash of batteries that were purchased when the Mavic was 1st released. Hey thanks for all the advice folks - much appreciated.

Well that wasn't worth the effort! Contacted support & they said simply "out of warranty - suggest you buy new batteries"
Nothing about a problem with them swelling after less than 50 charges so hope this is only me & not a rash of batteries that were purchased when the Mavic was 1st released. Hey thanks for all the advice folks - much appreciated.

That really is a short life span for a battery.

Hi, there, you're not alone. I got 1 of 3 Mavic batteries swollen up. But yeah, I did a mistake that is stored it fully charged for several days (about 1 -- 2 weeks). Until the day I started to think about my Mavic then found the battery swollen. After a several minutes doubt about this "new problem" of my experience owning DJI drones, I contacted DJI stores which is one of them is the store where I bought the Mavic. They all told me that:
1. The swollen battery (LiPo) is a danger thing that is can cause a damage to the drone or explosed in the air;
2. The warranty were just out of date, because I bought it just about 1 year ago. So, I can't got the replacement;
3. Better for me to not use it for any reasons or to even try to check it up in the app by power on the Mavic with the swollen battery.

I know what you feel when you think that it should be "a smart/intelligent battery" which can make sure it can take care about itself by auto discharge and so on.

Anyway, I just realize the issue few hours ago until found this thread. So, yeah I still looking for some solutions around and hope to get the best advice.

*sorry for my bad English

Reactions: matth1000
Anyway, I just realize the issue few hours ago until found this thread. So, yeah I still looking for some solutions around and hope to get the best advice.

Best advice is to either fly all your batteries down to storage voltage, or set them to auto-discharge after 1 day in DJI Go 4.

Reactions: Flycaster
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure