DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic pro, Bottom sensors not as good as phantom 3 advanced???

Incogneito

Reactions
I was wondering when flying my dad's phantom 3 advanced and even my previously owned phnatom 3 professional, when following any terrain (despite not having terraian follow) the phantom 3 advanced and the phnatom 3 pro will follow up the terrain, and follow down the terrain at a steady altitude. I have tested it on both when I read that the Mavic pro will not follow downhill. That said, the P3A and the P3P does follow the terrain when there is an incline, with no adjustments to altitude, and not having to switch to terrain follow. It even works in the dark as well on both the P3A and The P3P. That was a main reason for my getting my dad the P3A as the P3S does not do it at all during my testing, as it has no bottom sensors. Why was that taken out of the Mavic Pro altogether? I does not follow any terrain at all, while the P3A and the P3P does, even without terrain follow. The terrain follow on the mavic pro also does not follow terrain downhill, only uphill. I tested the Mavic at rather slow speeds and it never gains or loses altitude when the elevation of the ground changes. Both the P3A and the P3P do change altitude accordingly, even at a considerably fast pace. Why does the mavic not follow this same terrain increase and decrease in altitude at 10 or so feet from the ground?

I was wondering when flying my dad's phantom 3 advanced and even my previously owned phnatom 3 professional, when following any terrain (despite not having terraian follow) the phantom 3 advanced and the phnatom 3 pro will follow up the terrain, and follow down the terrain at a steady altitude. I have tested it on both when I read that the Mavic pro will not follow downhill. That said, the P3A and the P3P does follow the terrain when there is an incline, with no adjustments to altitude, and not having to switch to terrain follow. It even works in the dark as well on both the P3A and The P3P. That was a main reason for my getting my dad the P3A as the P3S does not do it at all during my testing, as it has no bottom sensors. Why was that taken out of the Mavic Pro altogether? I does not follow any terrain at all, while the P3A and the P3P does, even without terrain follow. The terrain follow on the mavic pro also does not follow terrain downhill, only uphill. I tested the Mavic at rather slow speeds and it never gains or loses altitude when the elevation of the ground changes. Both the P3A and the P3P do change altitude accordingly, even at a considerably fast pace. Why does the mavic not follow this same terrain increase and decrease in altitude at 10 or so feet from the ground?

Mavic literature and YouTube videos indicate Terrain Follow mode is available with settings from 1m to 10m.

What I'm saying though is that the phantom 3 pro and advanced both follow the ground, increasing and decreasing altitude at 10 feet or so, even without a terrain follow mode. They do it automatically. The mavic only follows when terrain follow is on and only increases altitude. It doesn't do it automatically like the phantoms do.

What I'm saying though is that the phantom 3 pro and advanced both follow the ground, increasing and decreasing altitude at 10 feet or so, even without a terrain follow mode. They do it automatically. The mavic only follows when terrain follow is on and only increases altitude. It doesn't do it automatically like the phantoms do.

If I understand you correctly, I don't think my Phantom 4 does that, and I'm glad. It seems like that would lead to some dizzying video if it was constantly going up and down with the terrain. I think if you are real close to the ground it's supposed to keep you from crashing into it, but I've never trusted it enough to really test it.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: gryphon1911
If I understand you correctly, I don't think my Phantom 4 does that, and I'm glad. It seems like that would lead to some dizzying video if it was constantly going up and down with the terrain. I think if you are real close to the ground it's supposed to keep you from crashing into it, but I've never trusted it enough to really test it.

I'll have to post a video on youtube.

P3 did this generally at low level, P4. Did not, DJI never officially announced it at a feature but if you tried to fly a P3 off a bank at low level it would follow it down.

Just one of those things or did with the vps

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

P3 did this generally at low level, P4. Did not, DJI never officially announced it at a feature but if you tried to fly a P3 off a bank at low level it would follow it down.

Just one of those things or did with the vps

YOU GET IT!!!! Finally someone that understands. Well for the most part at least. It also followed uphill as well as downhill, even in low light. So why does the mavic not do the same, regardless of light, or at all for that matter? I tested the phantom 3 advanced at night on my road, it goes up, then level, then up again and the phantom 3 advanced follows it through all elevations, both up and down also at night. The mavic does not follow it at all UNLESS the terrain follow is on, also only during the day only, and ONLY increases altitude, never decreases with the ground under it. The phantom does not have terrain follow, but follows the ground perfectly up and down automatically. I'm just wondering why the mavic doesn't do the same?

Last edited:
Sounds like a simple software update issue if what you say is true.

YOU GET IT!!!! Finally someone that understands. Well for the most part at least. It also followed uphill as well as downhill, even in low light. So why does the mavic not do the same, regardless of light, or at all for that matter? I tested the phantom 3 advanced at night on my road, it goes up, then level, then up again and the phantom 3 advanced follows it through all elevations, both up and down also at night. The mavic does not follow it at all UNLESS the terrain follow is on, also only during the day only, and ONLY increases altitude, never decreases with the ground under it. The phantom does not have terrain follow, but follows the ground perfectly up and down automatically. I'm just wondering why the mavic doesn't do the same?

I can see how that would be useful sometimes, but I wouldn't want it to be on by default. An option to turn such a feature on when you need it would be good.

Do you even have a Mavic? I would so before making unsubstantiated statements like this.

Mine I believes does both up and down? Have to check before I speak.

yes i do have a mavic pro, and a phantom 3 advanced. i have tested it and it works automatically on the advanced, but the mavic would fly into the ground if not giving it a raise altitude or decrease altitude command. Just wondering why this isn't built into the mavic pro automatically as it is with the phantom 3 advanced and the phantom 3 pro as well?

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki