DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro EU compliance and transmit power

Thanks, good to see some numbers.
one solution is maybe adding a power amplifier to increse of 6dB the antenna signal. That will work if only the remote controller is reduced for CE.
If the Mavic power is also reduced... we are locked.
I think amplifying would not be an ideal solution.

Like the inspire 1, it's just a matter of time parabolic reflectors appear on the market. Could use the inspire 1's reflectors but they are too big.

And then again, you shouldn't be flying too far in a noisy urban environment anyway. If the range is reduced in the countryside when I do the trials, that'll be an issue though. Can't wait to take it flying in the rurals!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I think amplifying would not be an ideal solution.

Like the inspire 1, it's just a matter of time parabolic reflectors appear on the market. Could use the inspire 1's reflectors but they are too big.

And then again, you shouldn't be flying too far in a noisy urban environment anyway. If the range is reduced in the countryside when I do the trials, that'll be an issue though. Can't wait to take it flying in the rurals!

I strongly agree with these points. What we should be worrying about is WiFi interference bearing in mind that each WiFi hub along the flying path radiates the same output as the Mavic RC.

I strongly agree with these points. What we should be worrying about is WiFi interference bearing in mind that each WiFi hub along the flying path radiates the same output as the Mavic RC.
That's right. Until most wifi moves over to 5GHz the 2.4GHz spectrum is going to be extremely crowded in urban environments.

We amplify our rc signals and it can potentially raise all kinds of hell around, including the undesirable kind that brings authorities down on us. Best is a parabolic, and best is urban environments don't fly far.

The mavic during our trials just now in an urban environment had control link unusable at about 1km.

The box states that it is a Mavic Pro (EU) version. Read earlier is the transmission power is regulated based on GPS location. We are based in Singapore where it does not fall under EU standards cap.

Is there a way I can verify what tx power is it on (eu standards caps the power pretty low).

@scoopdreams :
Can you go to your flying spot, put on your mavic and your controller and go to the menu we are viewing at 4:45 of this video:

Taking a screenshot, and posting it here. We will have a good idea of your waves noise environment.

Reactions: scoopdreams
I live in the U.K., but am debating whether to pick up a Mavic next year when I'm in the States.

Would this mean that it may have a better range than if I buy one back in the UK?

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I live in the U.K., but am debating whether to pick up a Mavic next year when I'm in the States.

Would this mean that it may have a better range than if I buy one back in the UK?

Apparently not, as the power output is based on wherever you are flying from. So if you take your mavic back to UK, it will limit itself to CE standards which is about 2km?

26db (fcc) vs 20db (ce), every 3db is a doubling. Max range as stated on the specs is 7km. So halved and again halved will put it at about 1.75km.

Simplistic though, you should be getting longer range.

Defo not BrAinZ, the power is adjusted based on GPS location. Will not make the slightest difference where you buy the Mavic.

The only thing it means is that you'll have the wrong power plug. Other than that, all Mavics are identical.

Apparently not, as the power output is based on wherever you are flying from. So if you take your mavic back to UK, it will limit itself to CE standards which is about 2km?

26db (fcc) vs 20db (ce), every 3db is a doubling. Max range as stated on the specs is 7km. So halved and again halved will put it at about 1.75km.

CE is rated to 2.1 Miles and FCC is 4.3 if you go by their specs ... 2.1 miles is far enough for me really but i dont like limits. I'll be very happy to see a custom firmware/hack :)

Its calculated from last known GPS location for power output so as above, as soon as it detects EU GPS location it'll turn the power down.
The P3 was the same, they managed to hack that, but that wasnt Lightbridge/Occusync

At the moment, i'd just be fekin happy to get mine shipped!

Finally got to doing a proper range test in a non-urban environment, and boy is the range fantastic!

This is the noise floor for the area, very clean.
Screenshot_20161110-141604.png

Even at 5,000 meters out, there were still 4 bars on both control and HD link.
Screenshot_20161110-165149.png

7km should not be an issue. Bloody impressed!

One thing I noticed is that the app advises to change to 10M link manually when high interference is detected.

Reactions: DarkEnergy

Not really because the signal decays as the square of the distance not linearly as you have assumed. Thus an increase of factor of 4 in the emitted power (6db) implies a factor of 2 increase in distance.

Finally got to doing a proper range test in a non-urban environment, and boy is the range fantastic!

This is the noise floor for the area, very clean.
View attachment 1049

Even at 5,000 meters out, there were still 4 bars on both control and HD link.
View attachment 1050

7km should not be an issue. Bloody impressed!

One thing I noticed is that the app advises to change to 10M link manually when high interference is detected.

Great job, congratulations.
One aspect regarding these long distance test is that to minimize risks flying a drone a long distance, and to keep inside the law I would suggest to leave the drone in a relatively high place connected to the controller but in a static mode and then move away with the controller to different distant places where still there is direct view to the drone.
I would also suggest to leave a friendly helper by the drone and with a phone. : )

ok I am downgrading my firmware and trying a range test again...I have been to 3 spots and 5000ft is max I can get..I will start to loose signal at 800ft which is nuts...changing to 01.02.0900 now

Reactions: Timbooo
Here are my results on lower firmware :( not good Any ideas??? I saw some can change from 20mhz to 10mhz....I dont have that option..but it also looks like I have no interference.

Writing down the distance w/o Altitude is not enough. Apart from the worst factor (Interference) ALtitude is THE Factor.
Beeing in CE country i can get about 1km (1,5km max) if i stay below 10m.
I just had a 3km distance flight at 100m Altitude and i can go further at higher Altitude.
So max range will be reached if the air is dry, no obstacles in between, no Interference and high Altitude,

Greetings,

Ender

Im at 113meters which is about 400ft ..the legal limit..Pic 2 shows interference

You need to look at the interference graph for a start, and if you want to adjust parameters switch to custom.
Yes, but the problem is it only shows Interference at your current position not somewhere out there.

Ender

P.S. its not possible to adjust channel in CE version, anyways right ?!

P.P.S. i am using narrow band to gain more range. Seems to have a big influence...

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11