DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro gimbal jerking issue? or bird????

Nazar

Reactions

So I was flying through this field when all of a sudden that happened. Never happened before, is it the gimbal issue? It looks like the whole drone moved around so I thought at first it was a bird. I couldn't see the drone itself from where I was standing. It did end up stabilizing right after.

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum

So I was flying through this field when all of a sudden that happened. Never happened before, is it the gimbal issue? It looks like the whole drone moved around so I thought at first it was a bird. I couldn't see the drone itself from where I was standing. It did end up stabilizing right after.
Did the recording cut out after this and from what you were seeing on your screen did it look a lot worse than this? Assuming I know the answer to those questions, it’s because you are either using an SD card that says C10 on it or the Sandisk extreme plus 64 GB. You need at card thats says U3 on it that isn’t the Sandisk extreme plus 64 GB.

Yes, it actually did cut out, this is all of the recordings I had with the incident. It cut and didn't record the rest. It did do this like three times within 10 seconds but this is all I have. This is the SD card im using.76770

Yes, it actually did cut out, this is all of the recordings I had with the incident. It cut and didn't record the rest. It did do this like three times within 10 seconds but this is all I have. This is the SD card im using.View attachment 76770
Leads me to believe there might just be something wrong with that card or the specs it shows are inaccurate like with the SanDisk Extreme Plus 64GB. The cause of the gimbal freakout is due to the card not being able to keep up with the recording and the buffer between the camera and the SD card fills up with nowhere to go and more information coming in. This causes the camera crash and then it has to restart itself and what you are seeing is the gimbal assembly rebooting.

How do people even think the SD card could have anything to do with actual physical camera movements?!

Look up "Gimbal reset in flight", it's a common issue and there's a loooong thread for it, usually a problem with the connections to the gimbal.

How do people even think the SD card could have anything to do with actual physical camera movements?!

Look up "Gimbal reset in flight", it's a common issue and there's a loooong thread for it, usually a problem with the connections to the gimbal.
Kilrah I know it sounds crazy trust me but I promise you this is the issue. I have a Sandisk Extreme Plus 64 GB card and if I use it in my bird the gimbal will reset at least once every single flight.

I also have a Sandisk Extreme 16GB and a 32 GB and never once has the gimbal reset when using these cards. I have logged hundreds and hundreds of flights and this is always a constant.

I’ve given this advice many many times when it comes the Mavic Pro and excluding drones that have been damaged this solves the problem 9 out of 10 times. The one out of 10 times is due to some kind of damage.

This seems to only apply to the Mavic Pro I have not been able to find the same issue with other models.

This could end up being the 1 in 10 but I promise you that the SD card CAN cause this issue.

All of these people experienced the same issue and all of them were using cards that shouldn’t work in a Mavic Pro. We either heard back from the op explicitly confirming the issue was solved with a new SD card or never heard back after they said they would change out cards. Look into that how you want but I took it those as there was no longer an issue that needed solving.

Reactions: The Bob
Brett8883, thanks for your explanation as it is consistent with what I have experienced and could never swallow that it is a cabling issue, my drone having been quite new but the SD card not the speedy one mentioned in this post. I now have such card and haven't had the problem.

Reactions: brett8883
Yes, this is a LONG running issue, and there are tons of threads on it. There is enough 'evidence' out there to make us question the SD card as Brett said. I've experienced it myself, and when it happened it was right at the 4G cut point. To my knowledge, a complete fix has never been found.

LP

Reactions: brett8883
I used to get that "gimbal-reset" issue. Finally got used to it. Weird, though...I haven't seen that problem in quite awhile on my drone.

I've never had the SD card issue. However, just want to add another possibility...I fly a Mavic Pro. I was getting gimbal-twitches in my video to my phone screen which would later show up in my videos. Drove me nuts, because, in flight, made me think I'd hit something...like a bird.

I found out after a couple weeks...it was the gimbal ribbon.

I used to get that "gimbal-reset" issue. Finally got used to it. Weird, though...I haven't seen that problem in quite awhile on my drone.

I've never had the SD card issue. However, just want to add another possibility...I fly a Mavic Pro. I was getting gimbal-twitches in my video to my phone screen which would later show up in my videos. Drove me nuts, because, in flight, made me think I'd hit something...like a bird.

I found out after a couple weeks...it was the gimbal ribbon.

I think the issues you describe are one in the same. The only two culprits I've ever heard mentioned for the 'gimbal freakout' (other than it being a design or firmware bug) were the gimbal ribbon and the SD card. Strong believers in both camps...

I haven't been following the Mavic 2 threads, so I don't know if they are experiencing it.
LP

My Mavic Pro Platinum does the same exact thing! It scares me every time it does it but I don’t know how to fix it. I’ve tried everything from calibrating the gimbal to downgrading the firmware but nothing seems to work.[emoji24] Thumbswayup[emoji1303][emoji16]

Leads me to believe there might just be something wrong with that card or the specs it shows are inaccurate like with the SanDisk Extreme Plus 64GB. The cause of the gimbal freakout is due to the card not being able to keep up with the recording and the buffer between the camera and the SD card fills up with nowhere to go and more information coming in. This causes the camera crash and then it has to restart itself and what you are seeing is the gimbal assembly rebooting.

I have the same gimbal problem and I use a SanDisk Extreme Plus 128GB U3.
ab4ed3cd73e82d041876b22c3417d9d5.jpg
If I get a SanDisk Extreme Pro 128GB U3 it’ll fix the problem?
db23cb3ca45bfe1a98c25fa969690181.jpg

I have the same gimbal problem and I use a SanDisk Extreme Plus 128GB U3.
ab4ed3cd73e82d041876b22c3417d9d5.jpg
If I get a SanDisk Extreme Pro 128GB U3 it’ll fix the problem?
db23cb3ca45bfe1a98c25fa969690181.jpg
Wonder if you got one of the counterfeit copies that were going around a month or 2 ago?
I use 64GB Sandisk Extreme Pro and Extreme Plus. I change after each flight. Never had an issue.

I have done some extensive testing with many cards and was told the same. It is TRUTH and I have verified this over and over... 30+ flights without issues after.
Anything above 32GB requires you to use an external 3rd party application to format the SD card to Fat32. Known issue. DO NOT format with exFat. (DJI GO 4)
Also a limitation of Fat32 is 4GB files... the drone will auto split files above the 4GB. Very rare unless you record the entire flight in 4K highest res, but awareness that you will lose a few seconds when it does split; possibly ruining a shot.

I use AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard Edition 8.4 (Free) to format my SD cards.

Last edited:
All of these people experienced the same issue and all of them were using cards that shouldn’t work in a Mavic Pro. We either heard back from the op explicitly confirming the issue was solved with a new SD card or never heard back after they said they would change out cards. Look into that how you want but I took it those as there was no longer an issue that needed solving.

You can add me to the list: SD Card for Mavic Pro - Gimbal Resets 64 GB [FAKE microSD CARDS?!?!]

Your advice was 100% rock solid. THANK YOU! not single reset since.

I also must add that I have used U1 - U3 cards and that does NOT appear to cause the gimbal resets... a U1 card will work but the video on the card may lose frames or stutter because frames are not written fast enough to slower cards... using a lower resolution fixes the frame drops on slower cards.
Note: I have used a mix of Samsung / SanDisk cards in testing. All different speeds and models.

Last edited:
Wonder if you got one of the counterfeit copies that were going around a month or 2 ago?
I use 64GB Sandisk Extreme Pro and Extreme Plus. I change after each flight. Never had an issue.

I doubt that these are counterfeit as I bought them In a two pack at Costco. I know that there’s counterfeit ones around though. Good suggestion! Thumbswayup[emoji1303][emoji16]

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661