DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Gimble Freak out

Beowulf73

Reactions
Gimble freaked out and changed Mavic Pro course. Flying with new Platinum props, Temp 18F, wind 5kts. Received a "Gimble Shake Error" before event....Any suggestions?

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
The attachment you've shared in your post is just blank for me. Its just a black rectangle?

I was having the same issue and it turned out to be the SD card.

Let me guess you have replaced the original card with a newer higher capacity card? Something over 32GB? Possibly the SanDisk Extreme Plus 64GB? Possibly it was working just fine but you formatted the card using DJI Go 4 app and are now having these issues?

I ask because I am actively trying to find the reason for this and the above factors are the things that seem to be in common with other people with this issue. I’m trying to narrow down what exactly the thing is that causes it

... Flying with new Platinum props, Temp 18F, wind 5kts. Received a "Gimble Shake Error" before event....Any suggestions?...
Gimbal shake error caused by MPP props on a MP can be fixed by adjusting the gain settings. It worked for me.

Had the same thing happen on my second flight. Everything was stock, right out of the box. Folks here called it a gimble freakout. Only happened once, and MP seems fine and I've flown another 60 flights with no issues. Since then, I have replaced the props with mpp gold tips and reset gain. It may have been a freak, but it scared the s*** out of me.

Reactions: RickJW
I was having the same issue and it turned out to be the SD card.

Let me guess you have replaced the original card with a newer higher capacity card? Something over 32GB? Possibly the SanDisk Extreme Plus 64GB? Possibly it was working just fine but you formatted the card using DJI Go 4 app and are now having these issues?

I ask because I am actively trying to find the reason for this and the above factors are the things that seem to be in common with other people with this issue. I’m trying to narrow down what exactly the thing is that causes it

Yep, but am using 64 Gb SanDisk Ultra. Also came up with a read error before my next test flight after the freak out. Reformated using Win 7.0 Have not had a chance to fly since..... Interesting........can't believe something like the SD card could cause the gimble to freak out and also affect the yaw of the drone.....Sounds like a software bug....these ARE sophistacated pieces of equipment but you would have thought these bugs would have been worked out in the beta stage.

Thanks.......interesting insight.

Gimbal shake error caused by MPP props on a MP can be fixed by adjusting the gain settings. It worked for me.

That might account for some of the shaking but not for the change in direction due to yaw nor it going out of focus. That to me seems to be a bug in the software.

Yep, but am using 64 Gb SanDisk Ultra. Also came up with a read error before my next test flight after the freak out. Reformated using Win 7.0 Have not had a chance to fly since..... Interesting........can't believe something like the SD card could cause the gimble to freak out and also affect the yaw of the drone.....Sounds like a software bug....these ARE sophistacated pieces of equipment but you would have thought these bugs would have been worked out in the beta stage.

Thanks.......interesting insight.

STOP! That’s the issue and formatting it won’t help!

You need at least the Sandisk Extreme in the Mavic!!! The Ultra won’t work! It doesn’t have a high enough minimum write speed!

You need at least the Sandisk Extreme! You need a card that says V30 on it. The Ultra is only V10!

I suspect what’s happening with your drone is the card could not write fast enough and the buffer memory that stores the video file after it has been encoded by the camera but hasn’t yet been written on to the card filled up. The camera software crashes and then has to reboot itself.

What you saw as the drone yawing wasn’t the actual drone yawing but the gimbal going through it’s start up self calibration.

You need a new card. Get either the Sandisk Extreme or the Sandisk Extreme Pro. The Sandisk Extreme Plus doesn’t seem to work well in the 64GB size but the 32 GB and smaller are ok.

STOP! That’s the issue and formatting it won’t help!

You need at least the Sandisk Extreme in the Mavic!!! The Ultra won’t work! It doesn’t have a high enough minimum write speed!

You need at least the Sandisk Extreme! You need a card that says V30 on it. The Ultra is only V10!

I suspect what’s happening with your drone is the card could not write fast enough and the buffer memory that stores the video file after it has been encoded by the camera but hasn’t yet been written on to the card filled up. The camera software crashes and then has to reboot itself.

What you saw as the drone yawing wasn’t the actual drone yawing but the gimbal going through it’s start up self calibration.

You need a new card. Get either the Sandisk Extreme or the Sandisk Extreme Pro. The Sandisk Extreme Plus doesn’t seem to work well in the 64GB size but the 32 GB and smaller are ok.

THANKS!!!! New at this. I will see what I can find.
As for the yaw.......note the direction of the drone before and after each freakout. When I got control back I head to change the yaw back to the original course direction......

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan