DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro lost GPS mid air

ROKIESINCLAIR

Reactions
Hi anybody here,
I m the newbie in here, i fly the mavic from 2017 and record flight logs at 120km in 132 flight. Couple days ago (Jan 21, 2018) is my first flight after a week ago applying lovely good looking Body wrap. Everything is alright like usually i do regular flying for weekend. Right after i took off suddenly alot of notification (about 15-20s after take off) mentioning that the gps is weak, gps is disconnect etc...my tail nav light turned from blipping green into stuck red...at the moment I didn’t realize it until i fly 60 above. And its too late, the mavic dragged by the wind, NO RTH, No MAp, No GPS, even the camera roll is off, it moving as the mavic banking and yawing because of wind. It was big struggle to bring it back and catch landing...please help me. Until now it still like that. Even after i plug off and plug in the GPS cable. Update firmware doesn’t help. Calibration doesn’t help. It’s always turning red right after take off. Help me. This frustrating me

Attachments

• 7548D46B-B9F0-4EF4-ADBE-EBD8AB3030D8.jpeg
    7548D46B-B9F0-4EF4-ADBE-EBD8AB3030D8.jpeg
    75.1 KB · Views: 126
The body wrap would be the first thing I would look at. Maybe some sensors covered. Considering everything was fine up until your wrapped it. Hope you fine the answer.

Hi anybody here,
I m the newbie in here, i fly the mavic from 2017 and record flight logs at 120km in 132 flight. Couple days ago (Jan 21, 2018) is my first flight after a week ago applying lovely good looking Body wrap. Everything is alright like usually i do regular flying for weekend. Right after i took off suddenly alot of notification (about 15-20s after take off) mentioning that the gps is weak, gps is disconnect etc...my tail nav light turned from blipping green into stuck red...at the moment I didn’t realize it until i fly 60 above. And its too late, the mavic dragged by the wind, NO RTH, No MAp, No GPS, even the camera roll is off, it moving as the mavic banking and yawing because of wind. It was big struggle to bring it back and catch landing...please help me. Until now it still like that. Even after i plug off and plug in the GPS cable. Update firmware doesn’t help. Calibration doesn’t help. It’s always turning red right after take off. Help me. This frustrating me
Seems like a hardware failure to me. Solid red means Critical Error. Suggest updating/rolling back your firmware in the DJI Assistant 2, DJI Go is too unreliable at times. Mind telling us what do you mean by "Even after i plug off and plug in the GPS cable."?

.... Everything is alright like usually i do regular flying for weekend. Right after i took off suddenly alot of notification (about 15-20s after take off) mentioning that the gps is weak, gps is disconnect etc...my tail nav light turned from blipping green into stuck red...at the moment I didn’t realize it until i fly 60 above. ...

You say "Everything is alright" .......What do you recall seeing on screen before take off, such as satellite count, messages, home point recorded, and the light? Seems like if it was the wrap, this would have affected pre-flight conditions too.

Please upload your TXT flight log here and post a link back here. You'll find instructions for locating your TXT flight log at that link.

Last edited:
Did you see/hear "The home point has been updated, please check it on the map"?
Is your wrap of any type of metallic finish, as in Mylar?
If not, try rolling back to a stable version of the AC firmware.

If not the wrap then repläcë the GPS module n you'll be fine...

Glad to hear you were able to get it back safely! You can always figure out what the problem is (body wrap or faulty GPS). Keep working the problem. Took me two weeks to get the firmware on my old P4 to take!

The body wrap would be the first thing I would look at. Maybe some sensors covered. Considering everything was fine up until your wrapped it. Hope you fine the answer.
Hi friend, Thanks for your answer. I have messaged the seller, I bought it from ebay US, he sell it over thousands and no complains, it’s not metalic wrap. A plastic/vinyl one. I did open the cover on the back. And after “home point recorded” notification, and then take off, and yes it’s going red again

Did you see/hear "The home point has been updated, please check it on the map"?
Is your wrap of any type of metallic finish, as in Mylar?
If not, try rolling back to a stable version of the AC firmware.
Hi Friend Thanks your feedback, yes, home point recorded message was popped up on HUD. Now i see the material scrap, it says “3M Controltac Graphic Marking System”. I bought it from US, and the seller is assure me this is the first time he receive a story from buyer like me

Seems like a hardware failure to me. Solid red means Critical Error. Suggest updating/rolling back your firmware in the DJI Assistant 2, DJI Go is too unreliable at times. Mind telling us what do you mean by "Even after i plug off and plug in the GPS cable."?
Hi Friend, first time i Think like you think, but solid red is just happened if i push the throttle to take off...and from blipping Green (GPS 10-14) suddenly blipping yellow and then Solid red after 15 seconds. The previous firmware was deleted by DJI, just the last 2 version exist on my system. About the cable i mean: i open the case(top cover) remove the GPS cable from where it connected , and put it there again (plugged in)

You say "Everything is alright" .......What do you recall seeing on screen before take off, such as satellite count, messages, home point recorded, and the light? Seems like if it was the wrap, this would have affected pre-flight conditions too.

Please upload your TXT flight log here and post a link back here. You'll find instructions for locating your TXT flight log at that link.
Hi Friend, yes i recognized the satellite count is more than 10, home point recorded, the light is blipping green (slow and constant blipping means GPS connected). I have open the wrap around the back behind the battery. It’s still turning into red only just after takeoff

Hi Friend, yes i recognized the satellite count is more than 10, home point recorded, the light is blipping green (slow and constant blipping means GPS connected). I have open the wrap around the back behind the battery. It’s still turning into red only just after takeoff

Does it go to red when you just get the props spinning while on the ground?

Glad to hear you were able to get it back safely! You can always figure out what the problem is (body wrap or faulty GPS). Keep working the problem. Took me two weeks to get the firmware on my old P4 to take!
Hi Golgo69, Thanks for your support, yes it was really like “whatever” but I didn’t want to surrender with it, i keep fighting the wind because it dragged by the wind to wherever and i push the throttle on the opposite direction of the wind. Glad you re fine with your P4

Does it go to red when you just get the props spinning while on the ground?

Nope my friend, it’s still Green if just Starting the engine while on the ground. But if i took off,,,it changing about 10 second into red. I have some experiments to test whether the compass 1-2 working, by put a scissor near the tail back cover and the compass HUD (at compass and IMU menu) turning from green into red (interference). It means the module is active and notifies it’s surround

When you take off, does the craft start making small circles while hovering (typically referred to as toilet bowl effect)?
Also, when you take off, does anything improve if you rotate (yaw) a couple rotations?
As one last question, have you tried another location?

When you take off, does the craft start making small circles while hovering (typically referred to as toilet bowl effect)?
Also, when you take off, does anything improve if you rotate (yaw) a couple rotations?
As one last question, have you tried another location?

No my Friend, it’s still stable right after take off even using “take off button like arrow” on the left HUD, it’s still responsive and read my RC command from Stick. But if it 60 m high, it will really fast forward if the wind from behind, or depending on the wind direction. Radio Connection is still good. No lag, i even go back home just using what camera show on My HUD. Because the Map is just showing where it took off not it’s real position,...about location yes, now is my 18th effort to fly it from 4 different location. There is something with the throttle power that turn the GPS red, because it happened only if i take off. Thanks alot my friend. Hope you good with your Aircraft

In summary, it sounds like GPS is functional near the ground, but at 60m elevation it goes out and changes to atti mode. And no environmental effects are present. I can only guess defective GPS.

No my Friend, it’s still stable right after take off even using “take off button like arrow” on the left HUD, it’s still responsive and read my RC command from Stick. But if it 60 m high, it will really fast forward if the wind from behind, or depending on the wind direction. Radio Connection is still good. No lag, i even go back home just using what camera show on My HUD. Because the Map is just showing where it took off not it’s real position,...about location yes, now is my 18th effort to fly it from 4 different location. There is something with the throttle power that turn the GPS red, because it happened only if i take off. Thanks alot my friend. Hope you good with your Aircraft
Well mate, I guess your GPS module has gone bad. Seeing as the craft has already been opened, you will have to repair it by yourself. Browse around for a quality gps module and replace yours. Good luck :)

Well mate, I guess your GPS module has gone bad. Seeing as the craft has already been opened, you will have to repair it by yourself. Browse around for a quality gps module and replace yours. Good luck :)

OMG, should i replace it? do you know what module i should buy and how much.? Thanks Mate

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SK farming