DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Lost over dam

Muppet With A Chopper

Reactions
Well, it's gone!
Flying my Mavic Pro over a local dam, capturing some flood and spillway vision, all going well.
Landed and changed the battery, ensured it was locked in correctly and took off again.
All was normal for a couple of minutes, then while climbing approximately 100m out, the vision just started tumbling and I lost signal. A member of the public safety said they saw it drop into the water....

Somehow, I always knew I the back of my mind the thing would get me in the end.
No more DJI for me, terrible support, the failed Android app, and now NO drone at all!
So long you DJI theives!!!

Reactions: stratos and WAXMAN
Well, it's gone!
Flying my Mavic Pro over a local dam, capturing some flood and spillway vision, all going well.
Landed and changed the battery, ensured it was locked in correctly and took off again.
All was normal for a couple of minutes, then while climbing approximately 100m out, the vision just started tumbling and I lost signal. A member of the public safety said they saw it drop into the water....

Somehow, I always knew I the back of my mind the thing would get me in the end.
No more DJI for me, terrible support, the failed Android app, and now NO drone at all!
So long you DJI theives!!!

God forbid you’d do anything to determine what caused your crash to see whether it was covered by warranty.

God forbid you’d do anything to determine what caused your crash to see whether it was covered by warranty.
Haven't got home yet to see if there are logs....
Ive never looked to see if they're saved.
I've always had to fly with the phone in Airplane mode, and 'cache to phone' off so the app doesn't lock up the phone.
Don't know if logs are stored while in this mode.

All rather irrelevant now anyway, I can't get the drone back and DJI certainly won't warrant a crash.

A lot of people here have had their drones replaced by DJI if they can prove the crash was caused by something that was DJI’s fault. Mechanical failures and so forth. Literally what do you have to lose?
Really?
I find that hard to imagine.
They've been very unhelpful with the Android App....
I'll certainly see if there's any flight data, however, not getting my hopes up.

OK, so I've got home and opened up the app and synced the flights.
Data was there and played through.
The first time it played, right as the altitude showed 46m as I climbed, the direction goes all over the place as the altitude drops.
As this played a message popped up 'motor destructed'!

However, I replayed it a couple of times, and that message did not appear again.
:(
Luckily I screen recorded after this as I watched it again and backed out of the app, as NOW, if I play it again, it doesn't show the flight, only the time running!!!

I've tried syncing again, still no data.
I did not delete the flight.... Not happy.

Reactions: k3vnnyork and Randy
Backed out of the app, shut everything down and calmly got back in and viewed logs. Data is back again

Have been able to screen record the flight.
I filmed out over the dam wall, then went for a straight up reveal of the surroundings.
As the altitude hits 46m, the Mavic goes nuts and crashes, showing 'Motor obstructed' as it hits the water.

Clear sky above the dam, nothing else in the air, light winds, joystick remains at 100% climb, no forward motion or rotation requested.
All props checked prior to take off, no damage noted....

Unable to load the screen video as 'file size is too large'

Reactions: Bill W
Backed out of the app, shut everything down and calmly got back in and viewed logs. Data is back again

Have been able to screen record the flight.
I filmed out over the dam wall, then went for a straight up reveal of the surroundings.
As the altitude hits 46m, the Mavic goes nuts and crashes, showing 'Motor obstructed' as it hits the water.

Clear sky above the dam, nothing else in the air, light winds, joystick remains at 100% climb, no forward motion or rotation requested.
All props checked prior to take off, no damage noted....

Unable to load the screen video as 'file size is too large'

YouTube it.

Sorry about the drone. I had a close call this summer that scared me, but luckily I was able to recover it the next day.

Put in a warranty claim.
Don't go overboard with details when you file it. They'll ask you for what they need, based on your configuration.
They may see something in embedded log files that you don't which can help with a warranty. If they find nothing is wrong, they may just assume a bird got you, but you may be pleasantly surprised. As others have said folks have gotten missing drones replaced by DJI if it looks like a failure on their end.

It'll take some time. Back and forth. Maybe some calls to press the issue. In the end, if nothing else, maybe they'll give you a break on just the drone body cost (since you already have batteries and remote).

OUAOUUUUU!!!!! Started crazy movement when it was still in the air. Motor or prop failure????

Motor failure....

The first time I watched the log, it flashed up 'Motor Destructed' on the screen.
Hasn't shown that again.

# EDIT - I think it's actually 'Motor Obstructed' that I saw, which is right as the drone hits the water....

Last edited:
Reactions: Garfieldg
Sorry about the drone. I had a close call this summer that scared me, but luckily I was able to recover it the next day.

Put in a warranty claim.
Don't go overboard with details when you file it. They'll ask you for what they need, based on your configuration.
They may see something in embedded log files that you don't which can help with a warranty. If they find nothing is wrong, they may just assume a bird got you, but you may be pleasantly surprised. As others have said folks have gotten missing drones replaced by DJI if it looks like a failure on their end.

It'll take some time. Back and forth. Maybe some calls to press the issue. In the end, if nothing else, maybe they'll give you a break on just the drone body cost (since you already have batteries and remote).
Trying to find my serial number etc to do that. I'll contact the seller in the morning.

Trying to find my serial number etc to do that. I'll contact the seller in the morning.
That should be in your App under the flight record or Equipment tab. I haven't used the Android app, but I'm sure it's similar.
If not, look for the email from DJI when you first registered your drone (if you registered it). Mine is in my DJI account also.

Good luck! Thumbswayup

Motor failure....

The first time I watched the log, it flashed up 'Motor Destructed' on the screen.
Hasn't shown that again.
I refer to the prop failure because this maybe should cause the motor destructed from instant high rev or damaging. Anyway this that matters now is to talk directly with DJI for your best solution. I wish you to get a mavic back finally.

PS, How many flights the mavic had? Just for curiosity i am asking.

Without sounding really stupid here, it would appear that u hit something or something hit you ?

There are people here far more knowledgeable than I who can look at your flight data and maybe tell you what went wrong. Certainly if it was a motor failure DJI would replace your Mavic.

Follow the instructions here and maybe we (they) can get this figured out: DJI Flight Log Viewer

The video OP posted showed it was a dam in Australia. The Mavic is good, but not that good.

RE: OP -- done with DJI, etc. Work through the process before you swear them off. Losing a drone is frustrating, but it comes with the hobby. It could have been worse: you had a "good" crash - no one was hurt and no property damage (except your Mavic). :eek:

Keep us posted on how DJI handles it.

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki