DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro lost signal and went for a swim

JanetM

Reactions
Sadly I have to report that I lost my DJI Mavic Pro drone into the sea! I'd flown north successfully earlier and got some lovely video of Risso's dolphins, then returned the drone to change its battery.

The second time I flew to the south, well within limits at approx 50m above the sea and to 400m away, turned and was returning when the images on my iPad became blurred then failed altogether, and I could see the drone falling. "Lost signal" was the notification, then the last known height was at sea level. That was at approximately 08:15 today.

So not only am I gutted at losing the drone that had my best battery on board, but I've also lost the SD mini card with the splendid video I had taken earlier.

Now to check that my drone insurance covers this rather elderly drone.

I had checked with UAV Forecast before setting off and it told me the flying conditions were good for this morning, not only the weather but also GPS signals. Should I blame the Russians?

Reactions: Droniac
Loosing the drone to the sea with the SD card footage is a hardship I know only to well.
Thankfully ! you did not have a client that was paying for that footage as that really adds to the frustrations.

Gear to fly your Mavic Pro in the Rain. Float on the Water .
Phantomrain.org

Last edited:
Reactions: Droniac
I had checked with UAV Forecast before setting off and it told me the flying conditions were good for this morning, not only the weather but also GPS signals. Should I blame the Russians?
Losing signal or GPS doesn't cause a drone to fall.
The cause of the loss was most likely a complete loss of power.

Reactions: zeusfl
... I could see the drone falling.
...the flying conditions were good for this morning, not only the weather but also GPS signals.
As said earlier ... weather usually doesn't make drones fall, and the GPS never make them fall.

...at approx 50m above the sea... when the images on my iPad became blurred then failed...could see the drone falling. "Lost signal" was the notification

...then the last known height was at sea level.
Certain thing's here doesn't add up to a sudden power loss ... if the live view became blurry before cutting out that indicate a rapid drone movement, if it had been a power loss the movement wouldn't have been visible ... instead the live view had been grayed out immediately.

Then the order of events as you describe them also raise some question marks ...
1. live view get blurry, then failed
2. lost signal notification
3. then you have a last known height indication..?

#3 suggests that the connection was re-established shortly in the end ... or that your memory swooped the order of event #2 & #3.

All so far instead fits a loss of thrust either due to a failing prop or motor ... that would make your drone falling down spiraling & tumbling.

Share you flight log, that would give us more to go on ... Go here --> DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help & upload the .txt flight log that's stored in your iPad, then come back here & share the link they provide (scroll down a bit on the linked page & they describe where to find the log on your iPad).

Always sad to see a drone lost at sea, even more so an ultra reliable old M1P.
How you can get some sort of replacement through whatever cover you have.

Yes, the flight analysis you would get here will likely be possible to fully determine whether the reason for the loss.
Hopefully you can do this for that, and other Mavic Pro owners with an interest in your crash.

Sorry to read about your loss. For next drone consider a life preserver for your Drone. Check out various options compared at drone-retriever.com.
Safe flying.

Losing signal or GPS doesn't cause a drone to fall.
The cause of the loss was most likely a complete loss of power.
Or bird strikes or similar.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
So sorry for your loss. Hope you had insurance or DJI refresh.

Reactions: Galeforce1
Hope you had insurance or DJI refresh.

Probably not with an M1P, but the OP hints about some sort of drone insurance, possibly a commercial policy (which should cover it if listed).
If domestic policy it might not cover flight, just theft.

Same here, sorry to hear about your loss. Also, would like to know what caused the drone to go into the ocean?

Sadly I have to report that I lost my DJI Mavic Pro drone into the sea! I'd flown north successfully earlier and got some lovely video of Risso's dolphins, then returned the drone to change its battery.

The second time I flew to the south, well within limits at approx 50m above the sea and to 400m away, turned and was returning when the images on my iPad became blurred then failed altogether, and I could see the drone falling. "Lost signal" was the notification, then the last known height was at sea level. That was at approximately 08:15 today.

So not only am I gutted at losing the drone that had my best battery on board, but I've also lost the SD mini card with the splendid video I had taken earlier.

Perhaps you accidentally tapt the Land-button on the left side of the screen in the DJO GO 4 App.

This actually happened to me a few times while my intension was to tap the RTH-button right below it.

The "Lost signal" notification is just a result of dipping into the water.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahb