DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro or Mavic 2 Pro. Tough decision!

DanMc

Reactions
Found out I'm getting a bonus from work, so now I have the cash to get drone #2. Already have the Mavic Air and love it, but I'm finding that I can't get out far enough with the Air. So, what to add to my arsenal? I have enough experience now to feel comfortable with picking up a used drone if it has low run-time and no scratches or signs of wear.
A good, used Mavic Pro is around $600. A used Mavic 2 Pro is $1200 or more.
I like the Hyperlapse capability added with the Mavic 2 Pro, without patching together a string of images in post-processing, like I have to do with the Air. Not sure if the upgrade from 12 MP to 20 MP in the camera will be that valuable. I'm not doing professional photography, so not sure if that's necessary.

What are your thoughts on the merits of the MP2 vs the MP? I searched and didn't find a thread like this already....

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
My thoughts on having both. The hyperlapse capability is nice in the flight, but you will still want to do post processing as it exports at 1080 25fps resolution and has little image stabilization controls. So having a MP1 does the same thing.

The picture quality is better. Double the price better? No. But in low light significantly.

The MP1 and 2 will both give you the range you want and speed. I do like the added flight time on the 2. But with 2 batteries it doesn’t matter.

My opinion, for casual flying and hobby pictures, the MP1 is nice enough!

Also, I have a new in box MP1 with an extra new battery and tons of add ons. I’ll give it away at $700. Lol just a shameless plug.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
My thoughts on having both. The hyperlapse capability is nice in the flight, but you will still want to do post processing as it exports at 1080 25fps resolution and has little image stabilization controls. So having a MP1 does the same thing.

The picture quality is better. Double the price better? No. But in low light significantly.

The MP1 and 2 will both give you the range you want and speed. I do like the added flight time on the 2. But with 2 batteries it doesn’t matter.

Also, I have a new in box MP1 with an extra new battery and tons of add ons. I’ll give it away at $700. Lol just a shameless plug.
Sending you a PM.....

If you use photos straight from the drone and don't process raw files yourself, I don't think the Mavic Pro 2 offers a large advantage. Have you considered the Mavic 2 Zoom? It's a popular choice as it's cheaper than the pro and its optical zoom is more useful to many.

Putting the cameras aside while there's nothing about the Mavic 2 that's night and day different it does have a lot of useful small improvements like the all round sensors, the one piece gimbal, the longer flight time, onboard memory (seemed pointless until I forgot an SD card) etc.

Reactions: mereflyer
The Mavic Zoom is just an M2P, but with a lower cost camera, right? And that camera has a 2x optical zoom built in? Is there a wheel on the controller to control the zoom? Looks like the camera sensor is about the same thing as what's in the Mavic Air.

I appreciate the onboard memory. I've already had that experience with the Air, forgetting to put in the SD card, and recording to the onboard flash. Nice.

The Mavic Zoom is just an M2P, but with a lower cost camera, right? And that camera has a 2x optical zoom built in? Is there a wheel on the controller to control the zoom? Looks like the camera sensor is about the same thing as what's in the Mavic Air.

That's correct, the Mavic 2 Pro and the Mavic 2 Zoom share everything apart from the camera module which is a larger 1in sensor on the Mavic 2 Pro (similar to the Sony RX100/RX10 series) whereas the Zoom has a smaller 1/2.3in sensor similar to the Mavic 1 Pro with a 2x optical zoom.

Reactions: mereflyer
There is also the Mavic Pro Platinum. A small upgrade from the original MP but should be considered.

Reactions: Thomas B
I have both the MPP and the M2P. Both are fun to fly. If you stay out of tight situations and don’t need the extra pixels the MPP is likely your bird.
I do really like the extra sensors and camera on my M2P and got it NIB for $1K shipped from a forum member... so if you want the newer model you can shop a while.
Either way it’s the accessories and insurance that can really add up, albeit slower with the M1’s now.

People never counting all the extra cost. 1 extra battery is $120. You probably want two extra. Not to count stuff like nd filters and so on.
Your $1200 mavic2 will be $1600 in no time.
You either go on a budget. Or stay within your limit.
Id advise you to look into Phantom 4 advanced. You getting case with it from dji. With two extra batts you still inside $1200. And camera is better than m2p. With 1" sensor and 4k at 60fps

Reactions: AnzacJack
It was recommended to go with the Mavic Air since it was so much less cost that the M2P and almost as good as the MP. Now I'm looking to upgrade to get the extra flight distance, the 20 MP resolution, and I like the hyperlapse. Might as well get the M2P so I don't end up looking to upgrade again so soon. I wouldn't be upgrading if I had picked up the M2P from the start. Once the money is spent, I won't give much of a thought to what it cost. The compact folding design is a must.

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
In that case m2p with 2 extra batteries. $1850 is your total for that Hasselblad logo on camera and folding design.

It was recommended to go with the Mavic Air since it was so much less cost that the M2P and almost as good as the MP. Now I'm looking to upgrade to get the extra flight distance, the 20 MP resolution, and I like the hyperlapse. Might as well get the M2P so I don't end up looking to upgrade again so soon. I wouldn't be upgrading if I had picked up the M2P from the start. Once the money is spent, I won't give much of a thought to what it cost. The compact folding design is a must.

The Mavic Air is actually better than the Mavic Pro/Platinum in a lot of ways, including image quality, portability, design/robustness, obstacle avoidance, quickshot modes, etc. Advantages of the Pro are pretty well just range and flight time, which granted could be high priorities depending on what you're doing. The Air is MUCH more compact when folded, and a lot lighter, which might matter to you depending on how you travel.

The Mavic 2 Pro is quite a significant upgrade from the original Pro/Platinum, it's a no-brainer in my mind if you can afford it. M2P > Air > MP/MPP in my opinion. If cost is an issue and you need more range, at the very least get a M2 Zoom - I would strongly advise against spending your money on an original Pro. The Air actually is a really good compliment to the M2P if keeping both is an option for you.

My biggest complaint with the M2P is how big it is compared to the Air, I need about twice the size of everything to carry it around and it weighs over double, even though both are relatively compact in the grand scheme of things.

Consider that DJI is pretty much done with mp as far as updating sw. It is like your microsoft windows 7 right now. It's great but done with. Better things came along.
MP is a great bird. Used ones at $600 with lots of accessories, batteries are somewhat cheap.
I went from the mp to m2p to m2zoom.
The 4x zoom in video at 1080P is something else in its own. You can get some really nice shots from far away without disturbing people or animals.
If I could do it again I would go straight to the zoom. buy accessories later as funds allow.
Furthermore, you can swap cameras on the zoom and m2pro, anytime.
I paid $900 for the m2pro used. And purchased a zoom camera.
IMO, Your best bet is to get a used zoom with some batteries.

Reactions: SparkPlug

Loved the way you framed this. It was honest, genuine, and by the way...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiinthesky