DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

mavic pro props

It is interesting regarding your step in improvement from the 8331 to the MAS.
If so, and the MAS props worked ok on the M1P, then that would be quite a big difference from 8330 to MAS.

I wonder if the M1P would suffer any sort of vertical vibrations / 'jumping' going to the MAS props ?
The MPP has the different ESCs, and a small number of M1P pilots going from 8330 to 8331 advise of the gimbal jump effect, caused by vibration frequency, or resonance.
Of course gains can be adjusted to fix this according to YouTube tutorials, but I wary of changing too much in those settings, or to non OEM props etc.

It's an interesting subject, and I might just get a set of MAS props to try out . . . after all this cv-19 settles down.
I have seen the stories regarding the GAIN settings required on a Mavic [1] Pro when using the 8331 props, but - so far - I've not seen any instances of having to do the same for a Mav Pro using MAS props. Just for your info, the vibration you refer to is caused by the feedback circuits used to maintain stability being put out by the more efficient 8331 props. The Mavic is inherently unstable and therefore relies on feedback circuits to keep it steady in the hover. If the feedback circuit is too sensitive, then you get an effect where the Mavic tips one way, then slightly over-corrects the other, which makes it over-correct the other way, which makes it over-correct the other way ... etc. That causes - in most cases - an almost imperceptible vibration, which in turn, sets up a sympathetic lower frequency 'shudder' in the rubber-band suspended gimbal assembly. The GAIN adjustments can tune this out by reducing the feedback from the ESC to the motors and making the correction exactly what's needed, rather than too much or too little.
Master Airscrew's 'Stealth' props for the Mavic Pro and Mavic Pro Platinum have excellent reviews from pretty much everyone that has ever upgraded.

MavPro_wrap.jpg

Let us know what you think of them once you've had a chance to test them.
Watch for hovering stability of the aircraft too, as well as smooth gimbal position when hovering.
I've received my props, and the first hovering test was less than satisfactory....I was testing on a night, I suppose this compromised the downward VPS but not the ultrasonic for sure. The drone drifted so badly in all directions. The overall drift must be in the region of +/-1.5m in ALL 3 directions. This even needed my continuous stick correction to avoid hitting walls. Sometimes when it drifted in height, I even saw the VPS height going up and down correctly. There was a slight yaw drift as well. Previously with the stock props I was able to even let the aircraft drain the whole pack of battery (I have a modified pack with double the cells ie 7660mAh) without even looking at it, ie, drifting +/- 0.3m or even less.

I noticed that the props came fresh from the pack with quite some sharp plastic flashes from the mold parting lines, and perhaps this is causing poor aerodynamic stability?

There was no gimbal shake.

The flight time was 0 change, I have downloaded the DAT files and compared the Avg Current drain, the consumption was similar.

Due to my extra heavy 406g battery, the consumption was definitely higher than with stock battery and motors were equally warm / hot between the 8330 props and 8331 props.

I'm gonna try a day time hover and stock battery hover again.

I've received my props, and the first hovering test was less than satisfactory....I was testing on a night, I suppose this compromised the downward VPS but not the ultrasonic for sure. The drone drifted so badly in all directions. The overall drift must be in the region of +/-1.5m in ALL 3 directions. This even needed my continuous stick correction to avoid hitting walls.

Yes, try outside, and in daylight if inside.
Your GPS signal was probably poor grade and light probably too low (or floor too plain) to fly with stability.

You are using an oversize battery on your M1P ?

Yes, try outside, and in daylight if inside.
Your GPS signal was probably poor grade and light probably too low (or floor too plain) to fly with stability.

You are using an oversize battery on your M1P ?
Just to clarify I was flying in the compound of my backyard with 15 sats locked in open air. It is walled. In the exact place but in the day I was able to hover well with the same setup but with the stock propellers I've been using for the last 30 flights.

Yes I am using an oversized battery.

Attachments

• 20200330_181712.jpg
    20200330_181712.jpg
    706.8 KB · Views: 24
Hindsight I know - but it would have been useful to have landed the Mavic immediately you were getting the drift, changed the prop's and seen what happened. That would have removed the 'environmental' component from the testing i.e. if it had still drifted with DJI prop's on it, we'd know this was a sensor issue ...

Hindsight I know - but it would have been useful to have landed the Mavic immediately you were getting the drift, changed the prop's and seen what happened. That would have removed the 'environmental' component from the testing i.e. if it had still drifted with DJI prop's on it, we'd know this was a sensor issue ...
Yea...I was kinda hell bent on getting the current drain data lol......I was also wondering if the drone firmware would've had some compensating feedback loops for the drift since I read that some firmware update a long time ago was doing some fixes for vibration. For a while, I noticed that the drift kind of reduced but alas even at the end of the battery it was still drifting a lot.

Yea...I was kinda hell bent on getting the current drain data lol......I was also wondering if the drone firmware would've had some compensating feedback loops for the drift since I read that some firmware update a long time ago was doing some fixes for vibration. For a while, I noticed that the drift kind of reduced but alas even at the end of the battery it was still drifting a lot.
Pretty much any prop test has got to be done as a comparison against a benchmark - and the best benchmark is the DJI stock prop's that the Mavic comes with (8330's for the Mav' Pro and 8331's for the Mav Pro Plat'). Duration tests are always going to be difficult, because in theory, to be 100% accurate - you need identical battery & climate conditions. The stability issues are quick to compare though, and it sounds like that's the area you need to focus on. Your 'extra' battery does appear to go above the plane of the spinning props, which will change the 'balance' of the drone, and I'd think, would have an effect on stability. The standard format battery for the MP and M2P leaves the centre of mass of the drone beneath the plane of the props (like a pendulum), which is going to be a lot more stable anyway ...

Pretty much any prop test has got to be done as a comparison against a benchmark - and the best benchmark is the DJI stock prop's that the Mavic comes with (8330's for the Mav' Pro and 8331's for the Mav Pro Plat'). Duration tests are always going to be difficult, because in theory, to be 100% accurate - you need identical battery & climate conditions. The stability issues are quick to compare though, and it sounds like that's the area you need to focus on. Your 'extra' battery does appear to go above the plane of the spinning props, which will change the 'balance' of the drone, and I'd think, would have an effect on stability. The standard format battery for the MP and M2P leaves the centre of mass of the drone beneath the plane of the props (like a pendulum), which is going to be a lot more stable anyway ...
Hi FoxhallGH,
Indeed I must correct myself here.
Redid the hover test in bright daylight in my backyard and lo, both types of battery (stock) vs double capacity started hovering precisely. It seems silly now to remember that it is the flow sensor / vision sensor that does most of the work while hovering close to the ground and it does need light to work. I got back my low drift hover ( +/-0.1m or less).

Because I did not start at a full charge battery its hard to properly gauge the flight time increase. However I took a very close look at the both DAT files at the same voltage levels (11.000V) and roughly the stock props consume 12.53A average while the low noise props consume 12.34A. So a roughly 0.20A average less. In the whole battery charge I calculate it gives me a whopping 30s extra hover time.

In a real flight, I think I'm going to be too lazy to analyze this. Enough to say the lower noise is music and I'm happy to spend the sum.

Reactions: deltamike
Hi FoxhallGH,
Indeed I must correct myself here.
Redid the hover test in bright daylight in my backyard and lo, both types of battery (stock) vs double capacity started hovering precisely. It seems silly now to remember that it is the flow sensor / vision sensor that does most of the work while hovering close to the ground and it does need light to work. I got back my low drift hover ( +/-0.1m or less).

Because I did not start at a full charge battery its hard to properly gauge the flight time increase. However I took a very close look at the both DAT files at the same voltage levels (11.000V) and roughly the stock props consume 12.53A average while the low noise props consume 12.34A. So a roughly 0.20A average less. In the whole battery charge I calculate it gives me a whopping 30s extra hover time.

In a real flight, I think I'm going to be too lazy to analyze this. Enough to say the lower noise is music and I'm happy to spend the sum.
You might find the Motor Power Calcs available in CsvView/DatCon to be useful. These Calcs were implemented to support the long distance/battery mod guys. There are several calculations performed on a per motor basis. To get these calcs using CsvView select Motor Power in the DatCon Categories menu
1586612039308.png

The results will be in the MotorPwrCalcs record
1586612593250.png

Reactions: lee82gx
1. Many online stores still sell inexpensive propellers of poor quality
(Like aliexpress, ebay...or more)

it is Not a Original, just poor quality copy product.
Such products cause of vibration and low durability.

"Therefore, even if it is a little expensive, the propeller must purchase only the reviewed product of a proven brand"

2. Master airscrew, MAS is good quality Compatible products. It looks like Just a original!

I also use MAS, very satisfying.
But, little expensive :(

3. Yes, Right! Increase flight time.
(about 3mins~max 5min)

It is not exactly measured and tested data, but it is certain that the flight time increases.

Attachments

• 20200111_140454_HDR.jpg
    20200111_140454_HDR.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 18
Reactions: deltamike
My compliments on looks of your drone! What brand and model wrap is that?
I have seen the stories regarding the GAIN settings required on a Mavic [1] Pro when using the 8331 props, but - so far - I've not seen any instances of having to do the same for a Mav Pro using MAS props. Just for your info, the vibration you refer to is caused by the feedback circuits used to maintain stability being put out by the more efficient 8331 props. The Mavic is inherently unstable and therefore relies on feedback circuits to keep it steady in the hover. If the feedback circuit is too sensitive, then you get an effect where the Mavic tips one way, then slightly over-corrects the other, which makes it over-correct the other way, which makes it over-correct the other way ... etc. That causes - in most cases - an almost imperceptible vibration, which in turn, sets up a sympathetic lower frequency 'shudder' in the rubber-band suspended gimbal assembly. The GAIN adjustments can tune this out by reducing the feedback from the ESC to the motors and making the correction exactly what's needed, rather than too much or too little.
Master Airscrew's 'Stealth' props for the Mavic Pro and Mavic Pro Platinum have excellent reviews from pretty much everyone that has ever upgraded.

View attachment 97753

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronewithdeshaun