DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Range Test 5.5km With Flight Footage Feedback are Appreciated

Babaco

Reactions
I would like to apologize in advance for writing too long and not talking about the flight right away. I wanted to share my experiences with this drone and provide some background information regarding safety precautions I'm taking since it's a long-range flight...

Mavic Pro... I have been using this little thing for a while now and I can confidently say that it's amazing! After owning a Phantom 3 Standard and applying modifications for stable flight and extending range, I wanted to make an upgrade. I had to make a choice between P4P and Mavic Pro. Because of Occusync and good reviews, I have picked Mavic. So far, very happy with my choice.

I have been testing and using Mavic regularly. Yes, there are some downsides; small motors are not strong enough to maintain desired speed and direction in windy conditions (Not talking about taking the drone to a beach for a wind resistance test and let it hover for 10 minutes doing useless observations, the real test is to take it for a ride at altitudes more than 150 meters and analyse the flight performance) and 4K camera isn't that good especially in low light conditions. Fortunately, I was already aware of these downsides before I made the purchase. In the end, it's an excellent drone for sure.

I currently reside in a small city and my property is located just outside the populated area which gives me the opportunity to fly my drone without serious signal interferences and obstacles like tall buildings etc...

There is a small airstrip, about 20km east of my usual take-off location, which is currently used for training new pilots for Turkish Airlines. Before my first ever take-off with my Phantom 3, I had called the facility and managed to talk to the guy working at the tower. I notified him regarding my upcoming drone flights and asked him if I need to inform them for my each flight. I also provided information about my location so my flight path isn't inside the zone of approach and take-off. He told me, as long as I fly less than 500m of altitude (the actual elevation of my location, not sea level), I wouldn't have any problems. I had responded that I often spot training aircraft flying at an altitude less than 500m and it looks real close around 250 meters... The operator at the tower claimed it's just a optical issue that aircraft seems close...in fact it's really high enough. I replied, Ok I did my best doing my civic duty and report my flight and asking for a procedure if there's any other than keeping my eyes peeled for air traffic and keep my senses aware all the time for other flying vehicles... So no issues there.

I have been doing long range tests for a while. First with Phantom 3 Standard (my record about 2.5km) and now with my Mavic. When the battery was new, I was able to do 5km runs regularly with Sport Mode activated and 4k recording initialized with fairly windy conditions. As the battery deteriorated over time and the software/firmware updates with bugs, now I'm getting lesser results lately which bothers me. My average had dropped to 4km in fairly windy conditions. Few days prior to this video, I attempted a range test with Sport mode on and camera recording btw it was very windy if not stormy. I managed to hit 4km but I barely made it back with only %6 juice left in the battery. I will share that video later. Even though I don't do it very often and I know it isn't good for my battery, I'm comfortable with flying my drone to a level which the battery is dried to the bone.

In this video;

Wind speed is less than 10kmh, good visibility and fair air temperature-pressure which I can share my flight data from Airdata UAV site if a fellow drone pilot is interested to see.

Sport mode and front sensors disabled

No video recording-rendering

Battery %100

No battery mods, there is about 20 charge on the battery ( I own two battery packs) and some occasions it was drained to the bottom...

No antenna mods, no transmitter mods, no signal boosters, no windsurfers ( BTW I tested the windsurfer for both of my drones, totally useless for extending the range)

I managed to achieve 5.5km but I chickened out and returned because I couldn't anticipate the wind direction and speed 5 km away. After reviewing the footage, I got upset... realized that I could have gone further, an easy one more kilometer, even 7 km benchmark and return home with less than %10 juice left in the battery. I know now I could have done 7 but it's my theory.

What do you think fellow drone pilots? Do you think I could have gone 7 km ?

Please share your opinions about my flight...

Thank you for your time reading this and for your feedback...

Last edited by a moderator:
WoW, same story here, owned a p3s and modded controller myself, personal best 2.45km. I love long distance flights but I always perform them above water in the open sea to reduce risks. I was also amazed by occusync and lightbridge coming from the p3s wi-fi era. This bird is really something when it comes to range, even stock. My personal best is almost 5km, above sea as always, but chickened out for the same reasons, it was calm on my side but I had high wind warnings 5km away and brought it back with 36% battery. No signal issues whatsoever since I always fly urban. IMHO you can reach 6 to 7 km stock on a really calm day and with ideal conditions. There are lots of videos on Youtube. Welcome to the forum and fly safe my friend

Even though I don't do it very often and I know it isn't good for my battery, I'm comfortable with flying my drone to a level which the battery is dried to the bone.
From my (amateur) understanding of LiPo battery chemistry, that's just not a good idea to do even occasionally and may very well be the cause of the battery issues you've noticed. Except in an emergency I'd never go below 10-15% and so far haven't landed below 18%.

WoW, same story here, owned a p3s and modded controller myself, personal best 2.45km. I love long distance flights but I always perform them above water in the open sea to reduce risks. I was also amazed by occusync and lightbridge coming from the p3s wi-fi era. This bird is really something when it comes to range, even stock. My personal best is almost 5km, above sea as always, but chickened out for the same reasons, it was calm on my side but I had high wind warnings 5km away and brought it back with 36% battery. No signal issues whatsoever since I always fly urban. IMHO you can reach 6 to 7 km stock on a really calm day and with ideal conditions. There are lots of videos on Youtube. Welcome to the forum and fly safe my friend

Thank you for sharing your experience my friend. Seems like we are sharing similar results and same drones. As you do, I love long distance flights as well. Even it requires more attention and result more risk, I still love flying far. I had flights over water few times but it was difficult to adjust for me since I'm not used to take such path. Salt water fresh water doesn't matter, it's an instant drone killer. And yes, I have seen those videos on youtube... some even go further more than 10 km but those are definitely modded to the bone. Can be tricky and risky to mod but if it's done properly, there is a huge positive difference regarding range and battery life. I believe you already know it since you mod your bird as well. I wish you safe flights and better range achievements...
Thanks.

Reactions: Hexagon
From my (amateur) understanding of LiPo battery chemistry, that's just not a good idea to do even occasionally and may very well be the cause of the battery issues you've noticed. Except in an emergency I'd never go below 10-15% and so far haven't landed below 18%.
I definitely agree with you on this. It's just not good for the battery and I have already started to notice the negative effect that is making on my battery. I try to not to go below %20 or %15 but when I try to test range, that inner voice urging me to push the drone a bit more. It's risking my drone as well as slowly killing my battery. I guess I have already wasted one of my batteries at this point. Thank you for your feedback sir.

I definitely agree with you on this. It's just not good for the battery and I have already started to notice the negative effect that is making on my battery. I try to not to go below %20 or %15 but when I try to test range, that inner voice urging me to push the drone a bit more. It's risking my drone as well as slowly killing my battery. I guess I have already wasted one of my batteries at this point. Thank you for your feedback sir.

Selam Babaco,

Check some threads in the Mavic mods section. You will be amazed how well these batteries still perform after repetitive and brutal abuse and modifications. I flew mine often down to 1% (even had to pick up the bird elsewhere many times) and I do notice they perform a bit less than brand new ones but still going strong. Done 7.6km out stock with an older battery and landed just under 10% (it was 10 when positioning to land). If you know the area well just pick 1 or more " alternates". Like fields where no one really comes, roof of office buildings or people you know..roofs are the best actually. Pick em about 1-2-even 3 or 4 km away from you for the return part. As long as you can land there is a way back, over open water it is a different story.
Edit: I love the way ATC cooperates in your case.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michael N