DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro sudden drop

WALAWEE

Reactions
My mavic pro suddenly dropped like a fly (luckily it didnt hit anybody).
I was flying it good before I passed the controller to my 10-yr old nephew to let him feel flying the drone.
Just 10secs later I saw it dropped vertically like it had no power. I was wondering if he executed the CSC sequence? How would I know?
Flight log is attached. Please help me analyze. Thanks.

Just 10secs later I saw it dropped vertically like it had no power. I was wondering if he executed the CSC sequence? How would I know?
Flight log is attached. Please help me analyze.
Your Mavic was in stable flight at 100 ft.
There had been a few gentle joystick inputs and the drone was then hovering.
At 10:18.5 things came unstuck and the drone pitched, rolled and spun anti-clockwise as it fell.
Power stayed on for the descent and crash.
There were no crazy joystick inputs or CSC commands.
The incident was independent of how it was being flown.

Were all props intact and attached when you found it?
The incident might have been caused by losing a prop or a motor failing.

Your Mavic was in stable flight at 100 ft.
There had been a few gentle joystick inputs and the drone was then hovering.
At 10:18.5 things came unstuck and the drone pitched, rolled and spun anti-clockwise as it fell.
Power stayed on for the descent and crash.
There were no crazy joystick inputs or CSC commands.
The incident was independent of how it was being flown.

Were all props intact and attached when you found it?
The incident might have been caused by losing a prop or a motor failing.

3 props were intact albeit damaged but 1 prop was totally ripped off. Blades are gone, what's left is only the locking mechanism.
Probably that was the cause as I just installed new but cheap props the other day. thanks for the help.

3 props were intact albeit damaged but 1 prop was totally ripped off. Blades are gone, what's left is only the locking mechanism.
Probably that was the cause as I just installed new but cheap props the other day. thanks for the help.
Hmm, “cheap props”... maybe not such a money saving idea!

Reactions: vail and jimlips
I was flying it good before I passed the controller to my 10-yr old nephew to let him feel flying the drone.

I had

I had a very similar incident/accident today over a nearby park. It raced up to a 100' high (I noticed I had no control ...) travelled forward as it did so and came down like a lead balloon (well almost) short distance away.
I tapped the record button a bit late, so have the result of it descending at speed, thump .. landed on its belly and flipped over .. camera still on!!
Lucky it had the park below to thump into and no people around. I raced over and noticed amazingly, no physical damage, props still intact too. And still powered on.
Shortly afterwards I noticed after a restart .. compass error. Could start the motors (they sounded nice .. 4 props spinning) wisely didn't take off with a compass error!
That's where I'm at now. Nice looking Mavic Pro Platinum with a non resetting compass (far as I can tell so far) camera (gimbal) recalibrated seems working normally.
Any constructive comments are welcomed by me .. How can I solve compass problem???? Mr Merv Thank you.... I call it a Plat Splat from 100 feet up.

Any constructive comments are welcomed by me .. How can I solve compass problem????
If you've tried to recalibrate the compass without success, the next thing to do is check the Sensors section of the app to see what it shows for the compass.
The most common cause of a compass error is a disconnected compass.
The crash may have broken a wire or soldered joint.

If you've tried to recalibrate the compass without success, the next thing to do is check the Sensors section of the app to see what it shows for the compass.
The most common cause of a compass error is a disconnected compass.
The crash may have broken a wire or soldered joint.
Hey thanks for your quick reply. I think you were right. I spent two hours on the job of pulling the top cover off the drone (I wanted to see the compass #1 at rear
top and reseat the connector. If that failed I would try the demagnetise trick. A long story short! Got it back together with a little difficulty (those plastic clips are tough on
the casings .. at the front ..) and now -> Compass #1 working AGAIN. Calibrated compass in Go 4 app shortly after. No other errors showing. Seems happy but after 10pm now.
Will try it out tomorrow with fingers crossed. The original error was "#1 compass disconnected" Have you come across that problem ever (compass kaput?) Cheers Merv Perth Australia

Reactions: Meta4
I had a similar issue with my Mavic Pro2. It was my 2nd flight of the day, no issues 1st time. I took off again and flew a short distance over ocean, <200 ft from takeoff, 44ft AGA, looked at my phone to line up the shot. The video feed went black, it said disconnected in DJI GO4, and when I looked up, no drone to be seen. Though it was only a couple of feet deep, I could not locate it. DJI was not very helpful, said:

1. The aircraft worked under GPS mode and it responded to the pilot’s commands well;
2. Flight Time T=00:20, Relative Height H=13.5 m, Distance to Home Point D=56.9 m, the pilot pulled back the pitch stick, the flight record ended when the aircraft was flying backward at the speed of 11.3 m/s;
3. The take-off point: 33.0173452 -117.2830520; The last recorded point: 33.0170925 -117.2835829.

The record ended without any sign of abnormality, so we could not verify what happened afterward."

I had a prior drop out of the sky issue with a previous Mavic Pro2. Flying across a 70 degree cliff, back to my takeoff. The drone tilted and fell out of the air. Same basic response from DJI "Based on the currently available data, the root cause of the incident could not be verified". It was thick jungle on Kauai, no way to spot or retrieve the drone!

I have uploaded the flight record and DAT file from the recent crash.

Any further insights? This is making me very nervous about flying where I may not be able to retrieve the drone. Bummer, I like to image my friends surfing!

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2020-05-30_[11-25-21].txt
    31.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 2020-05-30_11-25-03_FLY029.DAT
    363.6 KB · Views: 2
DJI was not very helpful, said:
The record ended without any sign of abnormality, so we could not verify what happened afterward."

Any further insights?
DJI weren't very helpful because there wasn't anything in the flight data to indicate the cause of the incident which happened after the data stopped.
It was most likely a sudden loss of power that could have been caused by a battery not being properly clipped in or a random hardware error.
But there's just no evidence to say what it was.
Having the wreck to examine might have helped but that's the chance you take when you fly where recovery isn't likely.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gebert94403