DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro vertical red and green lines with a reddish distorted image quality issue

safi242

Reactions
I am facing an issue with my Mavic Pro camera view finder on the app, it's showing vertical red and green lines with a reddish distorted image quality, The issue started to happen after the recent firmware upgrade 01.03.1000 (not sure if it's related)

I tried to:

1- Delete the app on my iPhone and reinstall a fresh copy.

2- Reset to factory settings using the DJI Assistant 2 Desktop app.

3- Changed my phone and tried it on the iPad mini 4 (same result).

4- Turning on/off everything several times.

5- Re-install the latest firmware update again.

6- I tried indoors and outdoors with different lighting conditions.

7- Fully charge all batteries, remote and my phone.

all without any success .

on a side note - there is no issue with the actual camera itself since it's recording without any red distortion and if I remove the micro SD card from it and watch the movies and videos on a computer - everything looks perfect so the issue is probably an image transmission issue in the drone, remote or even a software issue in the app. I also tried to format the micro SD card (removing and re-installing it) without any success

The Goggles are also showing the same red/distorted image quality in the view finder

and finally I tried to change my location to several location (getting away from any possible interference) all without any luck

I am really out of ideas at this point as I think I tried every possible troubleshoot

Please let me know what can we do about it

Attachments

• IMG_8173.PNG
    IMG_8173.PNG
    2.5 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_8171.PNG
    IMG_8171.PNG
    3.1 MB · Views: 54
I would have to second the cable change. Most have found that screen problems usually end up being the cable.
Get a good cable and use the bottom USB port.

My first guess would be a faulty cable to the camera.

I would have to second the cable change.

I think you guys are talking about 2 different cables.

The "faulty cable to the camera," if I understood the reply correctly, that @Masheen is referring to could not be the cause if the OP is getting undistorted media on his SD card. If the both the image on his device and the images on the SD card were faulty, then a camera LVDS cable or connector could be the problem.

As @flightmike has said, it's possible that it's your cable from your device to the controller. You can try a different cable and see if it reoccurs. Can you tell us which cable you are using to connect your devices to the phone?

I think it's more than a coincidence that this happened after you updated to 1000. Other people have reported the screen going blank after moving the gimbal or after obstacle avoidance got triggered.

I agree with @Masheen "You have done well to list what you have already done" because it will help pinpoint what your problem actually is.

I have seen this happen while repairing 2 other drones, but neither relates to what is happening to you. The first had intermittent pink distortion on both the device and the SD card. That turned out to be a faulty LVDS cable. The other time I saw this happen was after a drone got submerged, and the whole image on the device was yellow (not pink) but on the SD card was fine, and it turned out to be a defective core board.

That's why I think your is related to the firmware.

Reactions: safi242

Thank you @Thunderdrones I am using the standard cable - micro USB to lighting connector to an iPhone 7 Plus. I also tried to connect to my iPad mini 4 using the standard USB connector (with separate original cable) but the problem persisted. I also tried to downgrade the firmware using GitHub - jezzab/DUMLdore: Firmware Upgrade/Downgrade/Backup Tool V1.85 but I couldn't get the backend step to work in the first place (it kept on hanging) I also tried to re-install the latest firmware (1000) using both DJI Assistance 2 on a Mac and a PC - the process went all smooth and was successful but the reddish image distortion remained. I also tried to connect via Wifi (not RC) to check if the issue is with the RC but again same problem persisted on the iPhone using WiFi so most probably it's an issue from the image transmission from the Mavic itself but I am still not sure if it's a hardware or a software issue since I could't roll back the firmware. Any hints or recommendation on what I can do next is much appreciated.

Last edited:
I am still in confusion whether this is a software or hardware issue :(

You said you connected mini 4 using standard USB connector (with separate original cable). Is that the one that came with the mp? If so many have found the cables that came with the mp often fail. And naturally make sure no cable is plugged in the side port of the rc.
If you have an original apple cable, try using that once and see if it works. Take a flashlight and make sure your USB port and your port on your mini 4 are clean. I have heard of dust interfering with connections.
Hope this works.

Do you have DJI Refresh? Are you still under warranty? I think it's a warranty issue, and would contact DJI on chat and start an online repair request. Your drone was working fine with your existing device and cables until you updated the firmware, that's not your fault.

You said you connected mini 4 using standard USB connector (with separate original cable). Is that the one that came with the mp? If so many have found the cables that came with the mp often fail. And naturally make sure no cable is plugged in the side port of the rc.
If you have an original apple cable, try using that once and see if it works. Take a flashlight and make sure your USB port and your port on your mini 4 are clean. I have heard of dust interfering with connections.
Hope this works.

Thanks @flightmike Yes, I am using the original Apple USB to lightning cable. I also tried using the WiFi mode (without any cables) and the problem persisted. I am still wondering (referring to the screenshots) if this is a hardware or a software issue :/

Do you have DJI Refresh? Are you still under warranty? I think it's a warranty issue, and would contact DJI on chat and start an online repair request. Your drone was working fine with your existing device and cables until you updated the firmware, that's not your fault.

Yes that's correct. My only problem is that I am located outside the United States and in an area where there are no authorized DJI repair centers. However a local repair center said to me that he will order the "flat gimbal cable" and change that and see how it goes. Otherwise my last option is to ship it myself to the United States (DJI official repair) but I was wondering if there is anything I can do before going this long way. Specifically if this could be a software issue. I am still confused :/

Are you having any gimbal movement issues? My guess is that it has nothing to do with the flat ribbon cable since that is not related to video transmission. You might not want to make that investment because Im relatively sure it wont help. The LVDS silver cable is your video cable. If you want to change anything, that would be the one to change, but again, dont give it to a local repair shop who doesnt know exactly what the issue is. Thats a waste of time and money..

Since you are thinking about giving it to a local repair shop, why not just send it off to DJI? If it's a warranty issue, they send you a replacement drone then you can start from scratch. Then when you get it back, if the problem persists, you know 100% sure that it's a device problem.

Are you having any gimbal movement issues? My guess is that it has nothing to do with the flat ribbon cable since that is not related to video transmission. You might not want to make that investment because Im relatively sure it wont help. The LVDS silver cable is your video cable. If you want to change anything, that would be the one to change, but again, dont give it to a local repair shop who doesnt know exactly what the issue is. Thats a waste of time and money..

Since you are thinking about giving it to a local repair shop, why not just send it off to DJI? If it's a warranty issue, they send you a replacement drone then you can start from scratch. Then when you get it back, if the problem persists, you know 100% sure that it's a device problem.

Yes the gimbal is working perfectly, that's why I was not convinced when the local repair said to me that he ordered that. I was also wondering if a firmware downgrade is worth a try? And sure ultimately I will have to send it to DJI :/

Yes the gimbal is working perfectly, that's why I was not convinced when the local repair said to me that he ordered that. I was also wondering if a firmware downgrade is worth a try? And sure ultimately I will have to send it to DJI :/

Maybe dont take your time on replacing the flat ribbon, but maybe try what @lisadoc is suggesting and rollback the firmware.

My opinion is that since DJI wants you to be in compliance with the latest firmware for warranty purposes, it's their problem and not yours if your Mavic does not work with the current firmware, and they should fix it.

Either way, good luck.

Just curious --- did you get your red image fixed? i have kinda the same issue. Mine flashes red at random times when recording and can't figure it out.... I've only had mine since Dec. 23rd 2017. I think it all started after i did a gimbal calibration .

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost