DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro vs air portability in there bags?

Mavicmarcus

Reactions
Is the Mavic Air that much more portable then the pro when they are both in ther fly more combo bags with batteries and controllers etc as to me they seem about the same ?

Is the Mavic Air that much more portable then the pro when they are both in ther fly more combo bags with batteries and controllers etc as to me they seem about the same ?

No, it's insignificantly different when they're in the bags, which is why portability really isn't a pro for the Mavic Air. The size difference between drones seems great until you pack everything and realize that there's almost no difference.

Reactions: drone_video
Thanks for the quick reply I am a pro owner and the only reason I was thinking about switching to the air was the portability of it but I couldn’t find any comparison videos showing the size difference between the two when there both packed away in ther bags I will defo be keeping the pro now tho thanks

Thanks for the quick reply I am a pro owner and the only reason I was thinking about switching to the air was the portability of it but I couldn’t find any comparison videos showing the size difference between the two when there both packed away in ther bags I will defo be keeping the pro now tho thanks
You have the Mavic Pro fly more and you want something more portable than that?

Here ya go!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071RRMGWW/ref=twister_B07C78QW8V?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Just kidding....but you aren't going to find something of the caliber of the Mavic Pro, that is more portable

Reactions: Chahk

I have both the Mavic Pro and the Mavic Air. I can affirm that the size difference when they are packed is not worth noting. The Mavic Air however has a significantly better gimbal, and gimbal guard that's more durable for transporting. If you don't already have a drone, and it may be worth waiting until Mavic Pro II comes out and see what that's like. If you had to get one now, I like the Mavic Air for its durability on the Gimbal over the Mavic Pro. There is almost no difference in the camera, but if you look at these videos it shows off the difference really well:

Lots of details to consider. good luck with your choice.

If you are comparing the supplied bags, l actually think the M Air is more portable. If you are looking for sheer portability M Air for sure. It comes with a hard case that the bird and a phone fit into. I found a hard phone case that works for the r controller. So put those in each jacket pocket as you scale your mountain or ride your bike or. . .l have both MPro and Air. I like both but the M Air Literally fits in pockets.

i actually sold my air a few weeks ago and got a pro. It is just as easy to carry around for me.

MA's bag in the fly more combo has a new and different design than MP's bag. As a result, MA's bag can fit everything in the combo and has a better structure whereas MP's bag can only store a portion of the combo items. Also, MA's fly more combo gives you a case for the drone and controller, which I think is pretty convenient for quick and short flights.

Reactions: tiparoch
There isn't a big difference with the supplied bags, but there is if you consider efficient and comparable packing. For a start the MA bag packs 3 batteries, the charger and charging hub, while the MP bag doesn't pack the charger or hub.

Assuming you take no charger and 3 batteries the MP comes at about 3x the weight of the MA. You can take the MA in its little hard case with 2 additional batteries in the pouch and throw the controller next to it and have something less than half the volume of the MP equivalent.

There isn't a big difference with the supplied bags, but there is if you consider efficient and comparable packing. For a start the MA bag packs 3 batteries, the charger and charging hub, while the MP bag doesn't pack the charger or hub.

Assuming you take no charger and 3 batteries the MP comes at about 3x the weight of the MA. You can take the MA in its little hard case with 2 additional batteries in the pouch and throw the controller next to it and have something less than half the volume of the MP equivalent.

YUP!

But on a day trip total flying time matters as well, for some even more than size and weight. The Pro has quite a lot more flying time than the air with 3 batteries, effectively 20 minutes.

True, true. But.... on that day trip, if I were squeezing into a tight spot, or up into a knarly place where every milimetre counted... the M Air is nice.

If I intend to fly for sure or go to a place with that as one of the main purposes I take the Pro. But the "throw the Air at the bottom of the bag just in case" scenario happens to be much more common for me. Not wasting space/weight for all the times it doesn't get taken out, but have something good enough if it ends up flying.

No, it's insignificantly different when they're in the bags, which is why portability really isn't a pro for the Mavic Air. The size difference between drones seems great until you pack everything and realize that there's almost no difference.

Some other Pro owner spouted the same nonsense. It's completely wrong.

The size difference would be insignificant for 90% of people. If you want to carry a drone around in your pocket get the MA. Otherwise get the one who's features best suit what you are looking for. But if you get the MA be ready to be constantly asked, " Is that a drone in your pocket or are you just happy to see me." :p

Reactions: Pedro
I tried both before buying the Air and at least for me there was a significant difference. Everyone's tolerances and thresholds will be different anytime you discuss size/weight, but the Air is objectively smaller and lighter.

A big thing for me was that I can store the Air in it's hard case and still have it be smaller than the Pro unprotected and without a case. I feel better when it is in a dedicated hard case, but that's just me.

On the weight side:

Pro w/battery: 743g
2 extra batteries: 580g (240g ea)
Remote: Can't find this but I will assume it's more than the Air due to the LCD.
Total: 1.32Kg + Remote

Air w/battery: 430g
2 Extra Batteries: 280g (140g ea)
Remote: Assume less than the MP due to lack of LCD
Total: 710g + Remote

The MP "gone flying" kit is almost double the weight before remote (~86% heavier). That is quite significant, especially if your'e a hiker or trying to stay within carry-on weight limits. If you are a minimalist traveler (drone w/1 battery, remote), the size difference is easily enough to be the difference between a coat pocket or a dedicated bag, but there are going to be varying opinions there.

Folded, the MA's volume is 50% of the MP.

The removable remote sticks on the MA make a big difference to how you can pack it - I can tuck it in a slim compartment and not worry about it rather than having to carry it in a separate case to protect the sticks.

The MA can fit all of it's accessories, chargers, and batteries in the included travel bag. I can also fit the MA (inside hard case), 3 batteries, remote, and smaller accessories in a bag as small as the Peak Design Everyday Sling 5L. The MP fits in this bag also, but unprotected and with less room. I would not be able to carry everything I want to carry in the same way if I had a MP.

The MA gimbal design is more robust, and the folding design is better IMO.

The MA may also be seen as less intimidating to bystanders/authorities because it's smaller, but that is a guess.

All just my $0.02, it's nice to have options and both are fantastic drones, far more portable than something like a Phantom :)

The MA may also be seen as less intimidating to bystanders/authorities because it's smaller, but that is a guess.
until you power it on and they hear it. My friend said it best. He said my pro at 50 feet sounds like his air at 300 feet. His air is now for sale in western ma if anybody wants it:D

I'm with the majority of the people on this thread. The size difference is insignificant. But what you give up in the Pro vs the Air is far more (I've got both). You can't simply compare the size of the drone, You need to add in ALL the gear you bring with you, the remote, batteries, tablet, mavmount (if you use one), etc. That all takes up space. How much space does all that take up.

I also feel you give up too much with the Mavic Air; it's loud, it's range is poor, video gets laggy at short ranges, and it has a much shorter flight time. And IMO, the MA feels cheap compared to the MP.

People say the MP's camera is inferior and the gimbal is fragile. Uploading videos and pics to Youtube or whatever social media sharing site, you're hard pressed to tell the difference. And the gimbal being fragile? I don't think so. If you are talking a crash. Well all bets are off. Anything can happen, but in general the gimbal on the MP is pretty darn good. As an example, I ride and ADV bike which takes me off-road. I ride all kinds of terrain. By the middle of summer, a lot of the roads I ride are "washboard" covered and can be like that for miles. One time I had my MP with me and the gimbal lock had fallen off. The trail was particularly bad. When I found a spot I wanted to film/shoot, my wrists and quads were beat. It was like riding on a jack hammer. When I pulled out my MP, the gimbal lock and camera cover were loose in the case. Somewhere on the ride they'd come off. I was a bit concerned, but I fired it up and everything worked fine. IMO, a testament to the durability of the gimbal.

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu