DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic yaw drift

It start happens just when I take it out of the box at the 1st flight, so I calibrate everything including IMU hope it helps but it doesn't. I calibrate IMU at home not in the filed but I don't hear that is required not to do it at home. I will be thankful for any suggestions.

This is for future reference only: DJI has a free 30-day return/replacement policy if there is any defect out of the box. They pay the shipping.

That’s not very reassuring - a standard warranty is more like 12 months for a manufacturing defect. It often takes a new pilot more than 30 days to work out that the problem is the equipment, not bad flying.

I also have to say that Mavic’s Return policy isn’t that good - it doesn’t extend to other items they sell. I bought a set of ND filters from them. They were very poor quality and one was broken on arrival. In the end, I gave up trying to return them, it just wasn’t worth the trouble they wanted to put me through. Now I buy everything through Amazon who have a genuine “no questions asked” return policy.

Having said that, I love the Mavic Pro and I also loved the Care Policy since I messed up my drone twice in the first three months.

That’s not very reassuring - a standard warranty is more like 12 months for a manufacturing defect. It often takes a new pilot more than 30 days to work out that the problem is the equipment, not bad flying.

I also have to say that Mavic’s Return policy isn’t that good - it doesn’t extend to other items they sell. I bought a set of ND filters from them. They were very poor quality and one was broken on arrival. In the end, I gave up trying to return them, it just wasn’t worth the trouble they wanted to put me through. Now I buy everything through Amazon who have a genuine “no questions asked” return policy.

Having said that, I love the Mavic Pro and I also loved the Care Policy since I messed up my drone twice in the first three months.

It still has a 12 month warranty - it just doesn't include free shipping back.

That didn't help - the problem is still there
Ok, thanks, drone already packed, return shipping label printed, going back to Amazon after Easter. I will lost $25 for shipping back :(

Last edited:
I have not had any yaw issue with my MP and have over 100 flights so far, however I have done all the calibrations out of the box. Best of luck on ur return

I would not be so quick to advise people to do an IMU calibration if the App does not request one. You are likely to make matters worse.

As for the OP saying that the calibration was done on a level service, I got a laugh out of that. Has anyone noticed that the landing legs on the Mavic Pro are not level and the Mavic sits at an angle on the ground that is different from the angle when it is flying?

The only way to calibrate the IMU correctly IMHO is to place a sheet of glass that has been cut out correctly so it sits on the top of the props. You then place a bubble level. The 360 degree kind on the glass. And raise the landing legs so the line of the props is level. I.e. The line of flight is parallel to the earths surface. That then ensures that the IMU which is parallel to the line of flight (props) is calibrated with a correct X and Y axis. And a genuine 1G Z axis.

Those of us that have been using DJI flight controllers for a long time in our own bespoke models have had to learn this lesson the hard way. e.g. those of us with Naza 1 M and Naza 2 M and Naza H. And their Wookong, Ace 1, A2 and A3 big brothers.

You can do a calibration without doing this and it will still fly OK but not nearly as well as it could, if done correctly.

Cheers

Reactions: diegoaz
I would not be so quick to advise people to do an IMU calibration if the App does not request one. You are likely to make matters worse.

As for the OP saying that the calibration was done on a level service, I got a laugh out of that. Has anyone noticed that the landing legs on the Mavic Pro are not level and the Mavic sits at an angle on the ground that is different from the angle when it is flying?

The only way to calibrate the IMU correctly IMHO is to place a sheet of glass that has been cut out correctly so it sits on the top of the props. You then place a bubble level. The 360 degree kind on the glass. And raise the landing legs so the line of the props is level. I.e. The line of flight is parallel to the earths surface. That then ensures that the IMU which is parallel to the line of flight (props) is calibrated with a correct X and Y axis. And a genuine 1G Z axis.

Those of us that have been using DJI flight controllers for a long time in our own bespoke models have had to learn this lesson the hard way. e.g. those of us with Naza 1 M and Naza 2 M and Naza H. And their Wookong, Ace 1, A2 and A3 big brothers.

You can do a calibration without doing this and it will still fly OK but not nearly as well as it could, if done correctly.

Cheers

You would be much better off following the specific instructions in the app rather than making assumption about the Mavic's horizontal frame of reference. It is designed to be calibrated in the orientations as described and its accelerometers are zeroed for its ground orientation.

You would be much better off following the specific instructions in the app rather than making assumption about the Mavic's horizontal frame of reference. It is designed to be calibrated in the orientations as described and its accelerometers are zeroed for its ground orientation.

Read what I said.

I agree with you. Follow the instructions from them App. Don't do a calibration unless it tells you to; why do you think it says that. Why not just calibrate willy nilly anytime you like. The reason is that it is a warning that says don't Calibrate unless you have to as calibration is a complex process. The App will detect an IMU fault or misalignment sitting on any surface at any reasonable angle. Some Drone vendors do the calibration in the factory setup on specific level mounts.

If you do need to do an IMU calibration and it asks you to do one. A level table is adequate. And it will fly heaps better as the IMU needed a calibration, any calibration. But it would not be optimal.

I build a lot of models using DJI and other Flight controllers. They all have the same recommendations for IMU calibrations and setup inside the models. Mainly Bespoke camera drones and Collective Pitch flybarless Scale helicopters. I also fly Fixed wing Warbirds and Jets.

They all clearly specify that the FC must be mounted facing in a direction that is relative to the CG of the 3 axis directions. DJI only allow forward and rear facing. Others like the BeastX and Skookum flight controllers allow east west mounting. But they all require this to be relative to a centre point on the CG in 3 axis. I.e. in line with the flight direction.

If you go to the DJI website Forum and read the Phantom IMU calibration issue with people calibrating the IMU unnecessarily and then incorrectly you may understand what I am referring to.

An easy way to tell if the IMU calibration has been done incorrectly is to hover and slowly rotate, apply Yaw only. A misaligned (Can happen in a crash or heavy landing) or incorrectly calibrated IMU, will rotate in a small circle rather than rotate at the CGs centre.

Anyhow enough said.

I only posted this as some inexperienced advice was given to do IMU calibrations when not required. As you rightly said. Follow the Manual and the Application recommendations and don't get talked into doing something stupid.

Cheers

Read what I said.

I did. Your instructions are incorrect. The Mavic calibration procedure uses 5 different orientations, the starting one being with the landing gear flat on the ground. That's also the default takeoff orientation, of course, and if the ground is flat the x and y accelerometers will read zero. That is the default horizontal FOR, not the orientation with the motor hubs level.

Cheers

and a great big April fools to you too! :D

Mavic Pro is the most unlucky drone i ever have, DPD courier company lost my parcel when i send it back to Amazon, thanks god i paid extra for shipping insurance, but it will be a struggle to get my money back :/

Last edited:
My brand new mavic pro suffers to yaw drift i can replace it to another one but are there any mavics free of this error?

\
Fixed mine by using dji assistant 2. Restore default then refresh firmware. Then i calibrate IMU, re link RC, calibrate RC and lastly when outiside calibrate compass

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji