DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic2 Battery Mods

Uggg... swing and a miss. After dozens of hover and drop tests, I loaded up the jettison bird for a real flight trial. Had insulated and heated batteries and new props ready to finally give it a go.

At 13 seconds into the flight and at 40 feet AGL got the following error and the screen went dark and the bird fell straight down and crashed. It appeared to reboot or just power off.

All the props busted and the gimbal housing cracked open (but still works). I realized I replaced the bottom plate board last minute and didn't do any hover tests on it. Anyway, I dusted her off, replaced with a new zoom camera and put back the field tested bottom plate board. She passed a hover test and hopefully will get back to a real jettison flight trial tomorrow.

In all of my M1 and M2 mods over the years this is the very first "fell from the sky" event I have witnessed.

1548560558586.png

I have tried all of the possible "permanent" power cabling options several times and I personally ranked them below in order of preference. These posts have been scattered about and I know @dirtybum is building a new bird and thought this might help him decide.

PRO: most reliable
CON: most difficult to install
NOTE: for reasons unknown, you need to re-solder a second time (after cool down) for great solder adhesion on all 4 contact points per wire
1548599123539.png

PRO: easiest to install
CON: not the best electrical mating
1548599137383.png

PRO: great electrical mating
CON: solder points often fail
1548599156807.png

PRO: no modification to the bird needed, only on battery controller
1548599232542.png

Reactions: dirtybum
I have tried all of the possible "permanent" power cabling options several times and I personally ranked them below in order of preference. These posts have been scattered about and I know @dirtybum is building a new bird and thought this might help him decide.

PRO: great electrical mating
View attachment 60686

This is the option I'm going to use. Concerned that youve had issues.
Have you guys used this producthttps://www.ebay.com/itm/252339033640
Ed209 turned me on to this stuff for soldering battery cell tabs and it just melts metals together. Expensive. Ive used it for "stubborn" soldering situations. Even works to repair cheap jewery fixes for my daughters that other solder wouldn't hold to

This is the option I'm going to use. Concerned that youve had issues.
Have you guys used this producthttps://www.ebay.com/itm/252339033640
Ed209 turned me on to this stuff for soldering battery cell tabs and it just melts metals together. Expensive. Ive used it for "stubborn" soldering situations. Even works to repair cheap jewery fixes for my daughters that other solder wouldn't hold to
Good luck.

FYI, I fried an M2 ESC by applying too much heat for too long once. Gotta get in and out a quick as possible.

I will get some of this stuff and try it out, thanks for the reference.

I am getting ready to do a road trip and start testing several new battery combinations. I felt the need to upgrade my mobile command center to reduce the equipment clutter and make it more efficient. I figured some of you might enjoy this show-n-tell:

View attachment 61004View attachment 61005View attachment 61006View attachment 61007View attachment 61008View attachment 61009View attachment 61010View attachment 61011
Something I recently stumbled upon... I don't know about you, but stuff rolling around in the rear compartment of my car while driving makes me nuts. I bought a big roll of the velcro brand industrial variety, and then placed a big strip on the bottom side of everything I regularly transport. If the rear compartment of your car has traditional "car" carpeting, this stuff sticks like nobody's business and nothing is moving around while driving :)

And the iPad/iPhone/RC mounting system all came from:

RAM Mounts - Mobile Mounting Solutions

Yes, I feel triggered and need my safe space now to let my snow flake emerge... NOT!!! :)

Hey! Snow Flake would be a great name for your emotional support animal. :D

Hey you never know these days. I try to be myself, a self proclaimed thoughtful respectful person,(as much as a dirty bum can be anyways )but even in my own household "meant well" comments gets me in trouble sometimes [emoji41]

Reactions: chazz
I am getting ready to do a road trip and start testing several new battery combinations. I felt the need to upgrade my mobile command center to reduce the equipment clutter and make it more efficient. I figured some of you might enjoy this show-n-tell:

View attachment 61004View attachment 61005View attachment 61006View attachment 61007View attachment 61008View attachment 61009View attachment 61010View attachment 61011

Dude, you're the most organized person i know. I'm totally opposite then that. I'm like the biggest slob i know. For some reason my OCD has nothing to do with keeping order of my stuff just everything else. Its like i have selective OCD.:)

Reactions: dirtybum
It's wind chills of -32 degrees right now, i'm combing through the @beanbubba popular threads and staring at this Mav2 deciding whether I should bust into it and pop a couple XT 30s out of it.

It's wind chills of -32 degrees right now, i'm combing through the @beanbubba popular threads and staring at this Mav2 deciding whether I should bust into it and pop a couple XT 30s out of it.
Holy cow thats cold! What part of the country are you in??

Hey you never know these days. I try to be myself, a self proclaimed thoughtful respectful person,(as much as a dirty bum can be anyways )but even in my own household "meant well" comments gets me in trouble sometimes [emoji41]

I know exactly what your talkin about, its the new way. Good thing were all friends with the same mentality here.Thumbswayup

Reactions: beanbubba
Dude, you're the most organized person i know. I'm totally opposite then that. I'm like the biggest slob i know. For some reason my OCD has nothing to do with keeping order of my stuff just everything else. Its like i have selective OCD.:)
IMG_2709.JPG
Yeah I'm boarding the hoarder status! My garage needs a real spring cleaning. And I just need to learn how to let go[emoji41]

Reactions: beanbubba and chazz
Ha Ha! ya know i almost believe thats your garage, i remember just about every post of yours on the phantom forum had a crashed P3! :p

Holy cow thats cold! What part of the country are you in??

Smack dab in the middle of Iowa. I work outside all year round, so I thought I would be tougher, until I went outside this morning with the dogs. It was -43 then.
I realized,that cold is not fit for man or beast, let alone a drone.

You must be the obsessive hand washer then...;)

Reactions: dirtybum and chazz
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair