DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic2 Battery Mods

I wonder how smart the M2 FC is to sense load. On the M1 you can hardwire your battery mod after the current sensing shunts. I will have to try this on the M2.
Ok the hyperion g8 5200mah was a little too heavy and it wanted to land as soon as I started ascending. I think less weight is ideal? It is 428g plus the 3x xt60 battery clip. Going to try a 368g 4400mah next.
I could hear this thing screaming in protest 1200ft away when its normally too quiet to notice at 250ft.

I'm worried that some day I'll have a disconnect and in that second that it hovers in place before RTH it will autoland instead

I wonder how smart the M2 FC is to sense load. On the M1 you can hardwire your battery mod after the current sensing shunts. I will have to try this on the M2.
It was an 8m/sec 18mph ascent. Too much?

flight with 1 external: Hyperion G8 4S 4400mah 30C lightweight (368g nothing removed yet)
it was intended just for a test flight, but i ended up running it down to 17% landing after 31 minutes 16 seconds.
i could get more out of it with consistent speed and less climbing.
mavic 2 pro seems like its almost as loud as a mavic air like this.

edited - attached shots of my modified battery clip. it started off with a uavmods 3x xt60 clip that felt too heavy. i started to open it up and was horrified at how the top connector was barely attached...
with this setup, all sensors are clear. the external battery wire length is such that the wire is taut and lightly pushes against the velcro piece that keeps it in position.
this modified clip isn't something i'd recommend for more than a handful of flights and if there were no other options, i'd clean/beef it up and for repeated use.
however, i'd like to avoid using a clip and will probably solder something in soon if i can find a solution i like. is it possible to remove one of the grills in the back and share some of that opening with a flush mounted xt30 connector?

Attachments

• 20190601_121216.jpg
    20190601_121216.jpg
    676.5 KB · Views: 99
  • 20190601_121055.jpg
    20190601_121055.jpg
    652.5 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
It looked too tight around the back vents and top shell replacements are $27 so... Snip snip.

The leads from the battery are soldered onto the xt30 connector at an angle so everything clears propellers and sensors perfectly.

Attachments

• InShot_20190602_114721056.jpg
    InShot_20190602_114721056.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 117
  • InShot_20190602_114650935.jpg
    InShot_20190602_114650935.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 120
Reactions: lolo780
Seems like it did pretty well. No autolanding and only force/esc errored on a 1400ft climb and then again on a 1000ft climb.
20 minute flight landing at 52%

I think the weight reduction (got rid of clip with 3 xt60s and a few inches of 12awg wire) and not climbing at 20mph helps.

Reactions: shot_by_SU
took it out again also weighed the battery.

Hyperion G8 4S 4400mah 30C Lihv listed as 368g but strips down to 355g

no autolanding triggered ever, no force motor or esc errors, etc, but the motors were HOT. Hot as in burn-your-lips or can't-hold-for-more-than-3-seconds hot.

I think I should have probably brought it down faster as it would have taken less load?

35min flight landing at 14% - this is compared to without the additional battery where in the same scenario/load/altitude/etc i get
22min flight landing at 14% which means this battery is providing additional 59% flight time.

here's a log

although this one is a keeper for long flights under 35mph, i'm going to try a lighter battery.

Last edited:
The titan didn't work that great on the mav1. Everyone bought one because the member of this video bragged of a 50 min. hover test, only to find out they didnt discharge evenly with the dji battery.
Then to find out djhood faked the 50 min flight[emoji41]

That being said, if you want one you should try it. The experiment is part of the fun

The titan didn't work that great on the mav1. Everyone bought one because the member of this video bragged of a 50 min. hover test, only to find out they didnt discharge evenly with the dji battery.
Then to find out djhood faked the 50 min flight[emoji41]

That being said, if you want one you should try it. The experiment is part of the fun
can you link more info on this faked flight? i'm real curious how he pitched it as possible.

yeah.... just looking at djhoodrich's airdata it really does look like he swapped out the battery at 27min.. magically the voltage drops off real fast and then goes up slowly at the rate you'd expect to see if a fresh battery was swapped in and was then recharging the dji battery.
Mavic Pro Battery Mod
power / cells graph shows me all i need to see

Reactions: lolo780
ok.. hyperion g8 4s 3650mah G8 4S 3650mAh Si-Graphene Lightweight LiPo 30C (4.35 / 4.2V) stripped to 295g
landed at 33min 44sec at 15% voltages at 3.72-3.73/cell after landing.
this flight included a climb to 1200ft though.
although you could still hear the thing 600ft+ away motors were nice and cool.

i'll try again at a reasonable altitude and get a log in.

Last edited:
Reactions: dirtybum
@Pablo Chacon how did you disable the upward vision sensor that the clip is covering up? When I disable the vision system in the Go4 app, all the other sensor disable except the upward on my bird.

I've noticed that if you launch in Sport mode (with clip on upward sensor) and hover higher then 3metres and switch back to any mode ~ P/T it'll work.

Just once you land it wont take off again unless you turn off and on again the battery.

A tiny drill hole in the shell with a nut and bolt, and you can firmly attach this mod without the trailer trash tape method :)

View attachment 53747
Did anyone else besides bean (RIP dude) try to do this mod and get a factory battery board to read any external 4S?
I was under the impression that guys were finding out the board would brick itself as soon as it's disconnected from power..
but clearly his board is disconnected and still properly reports back voltages when using the balance lead..
I just read through the rest of the pages of this thread and seems everyone else is still piggy backing on the stock battery, meaning you need multiple stock batteries to accompany each external bat.. anyone know more?

Reactions: charliesRig
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada