DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic2 Pro vs. Zoom camera resolution

@ johnmeyer

YES ! I think, this is really the fact. I compared many pictures from both and I notice that there is little difference. On the contrary: one reads in the forums of many users of extreme edge blur of Hasselblad photos. The zoom (Sony.Camera) is not so extreme. The zoom is badly underestimated by most Hasselblad fetishists: Especially when used on drones, a zoom is invaluable, because you can approach the objects more safely.
and notice: the zoom from the hasselblad is only a crop, not really zoom.

Reactions: Greenflash
@ johnmeyer

YES ! I think, this is really the fact. I compared many pictures from both and I notice that there is little difference. On the contrary: one reads in the forums of many users of extreme edge blur of Hasselblad photos. The zoom (Sony.Camera) is not so extreme. The zoom is badly underestimated by most Hasselblad fetishists: Especially when used on drones, a zoom is invaluable, because you can approach the objects more safely.
and notice: the zoom from the hasselblad is only a crop, not really zoom.
Lol, I’d say there is bias on both sides of the ownership equation...

Some good comments here. I would just read everything Sars said.

After 100 flights I’m thinking of switching to a pro camera. The Hi-Rez feature works good but it takes forever versus just one shot and you’ve got way better resolution. Plus the dynamics are much better. I bought mine because it was cheaper at the time and I wasn’t sure how much I would use it and 100 flights later i use it a lot

This discussion is misleading in a number of respects.

1. Acceptable resolution is totally dependent on the image viewing situation. Print photography for more than 20 years has had a standard of 300 dots (pixels) per inch for acceptable resolution. The viewing distance enters into it as well. That makes a 6000 pixel horizontal dimension image acceptably sharp at less than a 20 inch print. Screen captures start out at 72 dpi, less than 25% of the dng on the sd card in the ac a 75% loss in resolution.

2 Dynamic range is always better in a dmg file than a jpeg. Screen captures are always jpeg equivalents. JPEG is a lossy format. Every time the image is copied or saved quality is destroyed.

3. Optical zooming risks loosing sharpness from motion blur. The narrower viewing angle when zoomed in inevitably increases the risk. In addition, using a Nd filter causes a slower shutter speed to be automatically used, which is the cause of motion blur. The use of very wide angle lenses used in drones probably resulted from the difficulties in the early flight systems that were incapable of holding the camera steady enough for sharp pictures.

4. Large area sensors are less noisy by far, if they are recent designs.

5. To properly evaluate either video or still pix requires using a computer monitor or tv that has been calibrated to the color space standard being used. Anecdotal discussions about what looks best on some uncalibrated viewing device is without meaning.

Good article.

Current best practice would be current large sensor, more megapixels, wide angle lens, fast shutter speed, slower drone movement, camera angle relative to sun (don't shoot into or nearly into it).

The mavic 2 pro has a better camera for photos but that is it.
The Zoom has better video anytime, has optical Zoom so that you can be far and see close (for Drone protection on hitting against objects in close spaces),
for flying stealth.
And even the photos compared side by side although less resolution still are very good.
The perfect drone is of course the Zoom, or better yet, the Mavic Inspire 2!..

I have a Zoom and am glad I didnt bought the Pro.
Resolution is not always better. The photo quality depends on many factors including the weather, the photographer, and of course the camera.
I think there is a hype about the mavic2 pro because it is more expensive.
Unfortunately this doesnt means that it is a better drone overall. For me the Zoom is far superior to the Pro.

here is some footages with the zoom:

Attachments

• Pano_Universidade_2-01.jpeg
    Pano_Universidade_2-01.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 33
Last edited:
The mavic 2 pro has a better camera for photos but that is it.
The Zoom has better video anytime, has optical Zoom so that you can be far and see close (for Drone protection on hitting against objects in close spaces),
for flying stealth.
And even the photos compared side by side although less resolution still are very good.
The perfect drone is of course the Zoom, or better yet, the Mavic Inspire 2!..

I have a Zoom and am glad I didnt bought the Pro.

here is some foitages with the zoom:

It's misleading to say that the zoom has better video. You might prefer it for the magnification, although it's only a factor of 1.36 more than the Pro in HQ mode. But the small sensor in the zoom is significantly inferior - worse noise and lower dynamic range - it cannot record D-log 10-bit.

It's misleading to say that the zoom has better video. You might prefer it for the magnification, although it's only a factor of 1.36 more than the Pro in HQ mode. But the small sensor in the zoom is significantly inferior - worse noise and lower dynamic range - it cannot record D-log 10-bit.

Yes it has D-log but the qualiry is inferior on the pro because it doesnt use all the image sensor on video.
Technicaly the Zoom has better video resolution.

4K HQ mode on the mavic 2 pro is some kind of "pixel to pixel" readout of cropped sensor area without downsampling from "5K" full sensor area (all other modes have it to fit proper resolution). This means that in this "cropped" mode you will get the best possible 4K image from the sensor. Not sure that this "quality boost" will be so much noticeable, because nowadays domnsampling algorithms do their job well in all modern cameras. But at least you may be sure, that this "cropped" mode will not spoil your 4K image quality. Also, for some info, only in HQ mode you can use 10 bit video.

see the explanation here and tests and decided for yourself

.. of course this is a "Which is better pears or apples" discussion.
I am very well served with the Zoom.
For me the optical zoom is a must in my daily use.
Better than that only Mavic 2 inspire..

Last edited:
For the best quality the Mavic pro 2 is the winner. If you are flying for fun and not profit the Zoom is ok but the Pro will always give you the money shot.

Yes it has D-log but the qualiry is inferior on the pro because it doesnt use all the image sensor on video.

That's a widely debunked assertion. It would only be a valid argument if the sensors were similar. Downsampling to 4k from a small, 8-bit 1/2.3" 12 MP sensor is never going to be as good as direct readout from the center of a 1" 20 MP sensor. The Pro is still using a sensor area over twice the area of the entire zoom sensor to produce the 4k output.

4K HQ mode on the mavic 2 pro is some kind of "pixel to pixel" readout of cropped sensor area without downsampling from "5K" full sensor area (all other modes have it to fit proper resolution). This means that in this "cropped" mode you will get the best possible 4K image from the sensor. Not sure that this "quality boost" will be so much noticeable, because nowadays domnsampling algorithms do their job well in all modern cameras. But at least you may be sure, that this "cropped" mode will not spoil your 4K image quality. Also, for some info, only in HQ mode you can use 10 bit video.

No - 10 bit works in both video modes.

see the explanation here and tests and decided for yourself

Yes - another YouTube effort that completely conflates the quality of the video with the on-chip processing. So you get very aggressive sharpening from the zoom, just like you do with cell phone cameras. The Pro output, especially in D-log, is intended for significant post-processing.

.. of course this is a "Which is better pears or apples" discussion.
I am very well served with the Zoom.
For me the optical zoom is a must in my daily use.
Better than that only Mavic 2 inspire..

I'm sure that you are - it's a very fine tool.

Reactions: johnmeyer
Technically, it is an absolutely wrong statement. It was repeated enough times now in various places, and, it is still wrong.
Too boring to keep arguing about that. Use whatever model you want, it is your choice.
If you use m2p - set video to hq mode only.

The M2P has a Hasselblad camera with a 1" sensor, the M2Z has a ****** camera.
In the DSLR world your feet are your best zoom, just walk closer. With a drone just fly closer.
I wouldnt go that far with it....yea it has hasselblads name on it but thats about it buddy.....yes the m2p has a bigger senaor and more dynamic range , better in lowlight....dont fly at night really and i think video looks better on the zoom. Do miss some of the dynamic range the m2p could bring out but i feel the zoom is way more well rounded and kept it....lets not get it twisted yea more mp doesnt mean a better pic but the m2z has a beautiful super resolution shot. Also the average person cannot really tell the difference in 75 % of my day time pics when edited compared to the m2p heck most of my clients cant even tell 100% prefer the video of the zoom tho....they each have there place for everybody. For me i feel the zoom is the ticket.

Technically, it is an absolutely wrong statement. It was repeated enough times now in various places, and, it is still wrong.
Too boring to keep arguing about that. Use whatever model you want, it is your choice.
If you use m2p - set video to hq mode only.
The zoom does have better 4k for sure no question i dont care how big the 2 pro camera is i just never liked the look even when i had it set to hq .....i thought there was something wrong with mine but turns out they all 4k vid of 2 pro i saw looked the same as mine ...always looked inferior to my zoom's 4k. Idk what dji did with the zooms camera it might be the same size as the og mav pro.....but it is leagues better

Reactions: Kappy5003
The zoom does have better 4k for sure no question i dont care how big the 2 pro camera is i just never liked the look even when i had it set to hq .....i thought there was something wrong with mine but turns out they all 4k vid of 2 pro i saw looked the same as mine ...always looked inferior to my zoom's 4k. Idk what dji did with the zooms camera it might be the same size as the og mav pro.....but it is leagues better

If the 4k video from the Pro doesn't look as good as from the zoom then that's because it is not being post-processed properly.

I believe the Hasselblad is not performing to its full capabilities due to overheating.

Seems that all M2P owners must all be professional photographers, I have the Zoom and for ameatuer, youtube etc, I find it more than capable.

In Australia its about a $500 difference and from what I see and read, the difference is marginal and the average Joe blow wouldn't the difference. with the saving got a Fly more kit.

Personally not interested in post editing the videos using Zoom are great.

So unless your income is dependant on it nothing wrong with zoom, if I was a pro I would be going with the Phantom 4 pro v2

My 2C

I don't believe the zoom camera is exactly the same as MP, maybe same size sensor but has to be different cos of the Optical zoom.

I believe the Hasselblad is not performing to its full capabilities due to overheating.

Seems that all M2P owners must all be professional photographers, I have the Zoom and for ameatuer, youtube etc, I find it more than capable.

In Australia its about a $500 difference and from what I see and read, the difference is marginal and the average Joe blow wouldn't the difference. with the saving got a Fly more kit.

Personally not interested in post editing the videos using Zoom are great.

So unless your income is dependant on it nothing wrong with zoom, if I was a pro I would be going with the Phantom 4 pro v2

My 2C
I totally agree: if you can't taste the difference between a $5 wine and a $200 Chateau Lafite Rothschild, then it would be pretty stupid to pay all that extra money for the expensive wine.

However, there IS a massive difference between those two wines, and there IS a difference between the image you get from a large sensor and what you get from a small sensor. In both cases the differences are not only real, but they are also substantial.

Of course most people these days are happy with the photos and videos they get from their cell phones just like people back in the 1960s were happy with their Instamatics and Brownies and wondered why people spent all their money on a 35mm camera or (gasp!) a 2-1/4 inch Rolliflex.

Reactions: Sully53 and Meta4
Interesting.

But there isn't the same difference between the two Mavic 2's.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661