DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic2 Pro vs. Zoom camera resolution

Thanks fro the reply! Wow...this is good to know! I purchased the M2Z. I'm going to start a new thread explaining my choice. Perhaps in the future i can do what you did here. Is the M2 Pro camera available for this conversion?
AliExpress carries the M2P gimbal and camera assembly as well, for roughly $599, instead of $279 for the M2Z version.

That's another thing I wish they had put in the Mavic remotes: being able to push in the right wheel to change what it adjusts. Push in, changes to EV adjustment. Push in, changes to shutter speed. Push in, changes to ISO.

That's another thing I wish they had put in the Mavic remotes: being able to push in the right wheel to change what it adjusts. Push in, changes to EV adjustment. Push in, changes to shutter speed. Push in, changes to ISO.
Good idea! You left out "push in again and it activates Zoom" on the M2Z, so you can also use the dial for something other than Zoom.

I have the Mavic 2 Pro and the Mavic 2 Zoom. Loading your 4k video in Adobe Premiere Pro and capturing and saving a photo from the video as a Tiff file produces a very high quality image at about 35MB at 300 dpi. Better than any still image captured with either drone.

I have the Mavic 2 Pro and the Mavic 2 Zoom. Loading your 4k video in Adobe Premiere Pro and capturing and saving a photo from the video as a Tiff file produces a very high quality image at about 35MB at 300 dpi. Better than any still image captured with either drone.

I don't know how you are processing full-resolution still images from the M2P, but certainly not optimally if you are getting better results from video frames from either sensor.

Reactions: anotherlab
A screenshot from a 4K video is better than any still image captured with either drone.
You are joking, aren't you?

A screenshot from a 4K video is better than any still image captured with either drone.
a Tiff file from the video. BIG difference capturing a TIFF file with Adobe Premiere Pro from the video and a simple screen shot from an app.

a Tiff file from the video. BIG difference capturing a TIFF file with Adobe Premiere Pro from the video and a simple screen shot from an app.
A tiff file from a 3840×2160 video screen grab is going to be better than a dedicated still shot at 5472 × 3648 and appropriate shutter speed??
Photography at its best?
Should I give up shooting stills?

Last edited:
Reactions: GadgetGuy
Captured from video taken with Magic 2 Zoom. Open video in Adobe Premiere
A tiff file from a 3840×2160 video screen grab is going to be better than a dedicated still shot at 5472 × 3648 and appropriate shutter speed??
Photography at its best?
Should I give up shooting stills?

A tiff file from a 3840×2160 video screen grab is going to be better than a dedicated still shot at 5472 × 3648 and appropriate shutter speed?? Some cases yes!
Photography at its best? Some cases Yes!
You are joking, aren't you? No!
Should I give up shooting stills? No, you could provide an example of one of your aerial images taken at 325' that you captured using a drone. I will dare to say the aerial images I captured are at its best, comparably.

Apparently, you have never seen @Meta4 's stellar ship photos! :rolleyes:
No, I had not seen @Meta4’s work. It is outstanding!

Clearly his/her goal was to shame or bully my response earlier in the thread. From his/her first comment and subsequent posts thereafter. Most school yard bullies do so to mask their own weakness. Clearly @Meta4’s does not need to mask his/her work. It’s awesome! However, neither should he/she attempt to belittle others that may not have the experience and knowledge that he/she may have.

At this point in my aerial photography experience I am very pleased at what I have captured and shared. Clearly you nor @Meta4 had not seen my results. My comment was only meant to provide guidance and MY opinion at this stage (less than 3 weeks) of my experience capturing aerial images with the Mavic 2 Pro & Mavic 2 Zoom.

After years of aerial photography my methods will have evolved and improved. Even so I will not attempt to shame or bully others on a public forum or privately. My style is to be helpful and to encourage when I can.

GadgetGuy, what did you think of the image I shared? You never commented. It’s, “photography at its best.” Try not to be the guy/gal that follows the bully and laughs at his jokes. Share and stand by your work as well!

No hard feelings. Just trying to be helpful.

Clearly his/her goal was to shame or bully my response earlier in the thread. From his/her first comment and subsequent posts thereafter. Most school yard bullies do so to mask their own weakness.
Thank you for the compliments.
It's unfortunate that you've misunderstood my intentions.
Even with very good post processing technique, starting from a video frame grab will always be inferior because the raw materials you start with are inferior.
If you are primarily shooting video, what you are doing is the best way to get acceptable stills from video.
But if the aim is to produce stills, it's always going to be better to start with stills.

No, I had not seen @Meta4’s work. It is outstanding!

Clearly his/her goal was to shame or bully my response earlier in the thread. From his/her first comment and subsequent posts thereafter. Most school yard bullies do so to mask their own weakness. Clearly @Meta4’s does not need to mask his/her work. It’s awesome! However, neither should he/she attempt to belittle others that may not have the experience and knowledge that he/she may have.

At this point in my aerial photography experience I am very pleased at what I have captured and shared. Clearly you nor @Meta4 had not seen my results. My comment was only meant to provide guidance and MY opinion at this stage (less than 3 weeks) of my experience capturing aerial images with the Mavic 2 Pro & Mavic 2 Zoom.

After years of aerial photography my methods will have evolved and improved. Even so I will not attempt to shame or bully others on a public forum or privately. My style is to be helpful and to encourage when I can.

GadgetGuy, what did you think of the image I shared? You never commented. It’s, “photography at its best.” Try not to be the guy/gal that follows the bully and laughs at his jokes. Share and stand by your work as well!

No hard feelings. Just trying to be helpful.
You misunderstand @Meta4 's intentions.

As @Meta4 has stated, a tiff file from a 3840×2160 video screen grab will never be better than a dedicated still DNG shot at 5472 × 3648 with an appropriate shutter speed at the identical moment. With your prior still photography background and experience, I am surprised that you would continue to argue that it could be. That's like saying a .JPG is better than a DNG. You have thrown away more than half of the sensor information before you even get started with post processing. The ideal shutter speed for a cinematic video is the reciprocal of twice the frame rate, designed to get motion blur. The ideal shutter speed for an aerial still is as fast as you can get it, to minimize motion blur. The resolution is significantly smaller on a 3840 x 2160 video screen grab than a 5472 x 3648 DNG. Just multiply out the pixels. 8MB vs. 20MB. Capturing the screen grab as a larger lossless TIFF file doesn't create any improvement in resolution. It just means less loss while manipulating the file later in post processing. Your 4K video recording is not raw video. It is highly compressed using the H.264 compression algorithm. A 40MB still DNG recorded by the drone camera is a true raw file with the fullest dynamic range.
As @Meta4 has stated, you are doing the best you can from your 4K video, but it will never be as good as a DNG still, properly recorded at a high shutter speed by the camera at the same moment, which is "Photography at Its Best" instead of using a sceen grab from a 4K video recording.

All that being said, shooting continuous video in 4K gives you far more images to choose from, in the individual video frames, than the still camera settings allow in frames per second to capture that decisive moment. 30 fps at 4K provides both stellar video and great screen grabs that can be printed up to 16x20 or larger, as long as you don't stand too close to the print!

However, a 40MB DNG still image could potentially be used for a billboard, while any screen capture from the 4K video will fall apart at that size.

Last edited:
Reactions: anotherlab
Thank you for the compliments.
It's unfortunate that you've misunderstood my intentions.
Even with very good post processing technique, starting from a video frame grab will always be inferior because the raw materials you start with are inferior.
If you are primarily shooting video, what you are doing is the best way to get acceptable stills from video.
But if the aim is to produce stills, it's always going to be better to start with stills.
Meta4, You stated
"A tiff file from a 3840×2160 video screen grab is going to be better than a dedicated still shot at 5472 × 3648 and appropriate shutter speed??
Photography at its best?
Should I give up shooting stills? "

What were your intentions? Unfortunate for whom? The bully? As I said earlier "No hard feelings. Just trying to be helpful."
Perhaps my comments will prevent other less knowable drone pilots/photographers than yourself being shunned and attacked. Perhaps tone's will be less harsh and more encouraging. After all, aren't we here to meet others that are interested in Drone photography and benefit from the collective knowledge and experience of the group?

You misunderstand 's intentions.

As @Meta4 has stated, a tiff file from a 3840×2160 video screen grab will never be better than a dedicated still DNG shot at 5472 × 3648 with an appropriate shutter speed at the identical moment. With your prior still photography background and experience, I am surprised that you would continue to argue that it could be. That's like saying a .JPG is better than a DNG. You have thrown away more than half of the sensor information before you even get started with post processing. The ideal shutter speed for a cinematic video is the reciprocal of twice the frame rate, designed to get motion blur. The ideal shutter speed for an aerial still is as fast as you can get it, to minimize motion blur. The resolution is significantly smaller on a 3840 x 2160 video screen grab than a 5472 x 3648 DNG. Just multiply out the pixels. 8MB vs. 20MB. Capturing the screen grab as a larger lossless TIFF file doesn't create any improvement in resolution. It just means less loss while manipulating the file later in post processing. Your 4K video recording is not raw video. It is highly compressed using the H.264 compression algorithm. A 20MB still DNG recorded by the drone camera is a true raw file with the fullest dynamic range.

As @Meta4 has stated, you are doing the best you can from your 4K video, but it will never be as good as a DNG still, properly recorded at a high shutter speed by the camera at the same moment, which is "Photography at Its Best" instead of using a sceen grab from a 4K video recording.

All that being said, shooting continuous video in 4K gives you far more images to choose from, in the individual video frames, than the still camera settings allow in frames per second to capture that decisive moment. 30 fps at 4K provides both stellar video and great screen grabs that can be printed up to 16x20 or larger, as long as you don't stand too close to the print!

However, a DNG still image could potentially be used for a billboard, while any screen capture from the 4K video will fall apart at that size.
GadgetGuy, @Meta4
Initial comments were not encouraging or helpful. What should someone's response to "You are joking, aren’t you”, be?

Is that constructive? No, it is shunning. The writer is ATTEMPTING to cast negativity toward someone and elevate their own status of superiority.

My purpose of joining and participating in this form are twofold.

• Share what I have learned from my OWN experiences.
  • Learn from others based on THEIR experiences.
If I feel that someone else's comments are outrageous based on my OWN experience I may ask: How did you come to that conclusion? Tell me more.” And then based on his/her comments I may offer my recommendations.

Can you see the difference in approach? One method is bullying the other nurturing.

Clearly @Meta4 has a great deal to offer. Clearly I do as well. In this case, I am helping to encourage positive interaction between members with similar interests.

The good news. I have learned something from both of you. While my method WAS effective and met the needs of my clients (digital) if I hope to have my images printed in large format I need to change how I capture images.

It's my hope that both of you have benefited from my efforts to help you in improving communication to others in the forum. You each certainly have a lot to offer technically.

Reactions: Greenflash
Initial comments were not encouraging or helpful. What should someone's response to "You are joking, aren’t you”, be?
I could see two possibilities
1. The guy making the comment is a tosser and doesn't know what he's talking about .. or
2. Maybe what I've suggested is quite wrong.
Is that constructive? No, it is shunning. The writer is ATTEMPTING to cast negativity toward someone and elevate their own status of superiority.
I'd seen examples of your work on your website so I knew you were a competent photographer.
I was surprised that you were defending your initial statement that working from a video frame grab was Better than any still image captured with either drone, and presenting your method as superior.
It's such a basic principle that you start with the best to be able to present the best and by starting from a frame grab, you're already behind the 8-ball.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman