DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic2 Pro vs. Zoom camera resolution

I could see two possibilities
1. The guy making the comment is a tosser and doesn't know what he's talking about .. or
2. Maybe what I've suggested is quite wrong.

I'd seen examples of your work on your website so I knew you were a competent photographer.
I was surprised that you were defending your initial statement that working from a video frame grab was Better than any still image captured with either drone, and presenting your method as superior.
It's such a basic principle that you start with the best to be able to present the best and by starting from a frame grab, you're already behind the 8-ball.
You just want give it up. You were wrong in your approach. Period!

You just want give it up. You were wrong in your approach. Period!
I was amazed that a professional who produces good work was unaware of such a basic thing.
I was concerned that less experienced photographers might be confused by your suggested workflow.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I was amazed that a professional who produces good work was unaware of such a basic thing.
I was concerned that less experienced photographers might be confused by your suggested workflow.
LOL
You were wrong in your approach. End of that part of the discussion for me. PERIOD

At this stage in my experience with Drone Photography I am not as comfortable with the DNG format as I am with the RAW images taken with my DSLR. A typical RAW image with my DSLR is 35mb. The DNG file is 10mb. My first drone was the Mavic 2 ZOOM. I posted in this forum asking how does the Mavic 2 Pro compares. I have seen all the sales pitch. I wanted actual experience from a user of both drones. Somewhat disappointed in my first images. Not 1 comment from members on my question. I purchased the Mavic 2 Pro to create my own comparison.

Very enthused about both drones. My results are improving. Flying, navigating, capturing images, editing, angles… Lot to learn. The good news I have invested $5,500 in equipment, training and FAA License. Netted 3 jobs totaling $6,500. Not for flying only. Ground level images, aerial images and video production. Would not have happened without the drone shots OR my previous experience.

At this stage in my experience with Drone Photography I am not as comfortable with the DNG format as I am with the RAW images taken with my DSLR. A typical RAW image with my DSLR is 35mb. The DNG file is 10mb

The DNG files from the Mavics are the raw files. Where are you finding 10 MB DNGs? The M2P DNGs are just over 40 MB. Even the MP DNGs are 25 MB.

Reactions: Thomas B
The DNG files from the Mavics are the raw files. Where are you finding 10 MB DNGs? The M2P DNGs are just over 40 MB. Even the MP DNGs are 25 MB.
DNG is a lossless format similar to RAW. However, unlike RAW that uses specific formats based on camera types or manufacturers, DNG stores image data in a compatible, generic format. ... In fact, DNG files are 15 to 20 percent smaller in size than RAW files without any loss of quality.

DNG is a lossless format similar to RAW. However, unlike RAW that uses specific formats based on camera types or manufacturers, DNG stores image data in a compatible, generic format. ... In fact, DNG files are 15 to 20 percent smaller in size than RAW files without any loss of quality.
You are correct 10mb was typo. My 2 Zoom files are typically 24mb. Typical DSLR is 35mb.

You are
You are correct 10mb was typo. My 2 Zoom files are typically 24mb. Typical DSLR is 35mb.
correct 10mb was typo. My 2 Zoom files are typically 24mb. Typical DSLR is 35mb.
My initial thoughts or impressions my be due to little of no control of the camera. I shoot in manual RAW on my DSLR. The images are more to my liking as I begin processing. Shooting with Drone thus far everything is Auto. Appear dull and washed.

I know what they are - I was just puzzled by the small file size that you quoted.

You said "DNG files from the Mavics are the raw files
I said "DNG is a lossless format similar to RAW.

Sorry for the confusion. Similar for me means something, considering at this point, the DNG format does not have the same flexibility as RAW does for me. Perhaps it's about teaching an old dog new tricks. Becoming more comfortable and knowledgeable every day I fly and shoot and from the forum. Weather has not been agreeable the last week.

You said "DNG files from the Mavics are the raw files
I said "DNG is a lossless format similar to RAW.

Sorry for the confusion. Similar for me means something, considering at this point, the DNG format does not have the same flexibility as RAW does for me. Perhaps it's about teaching an old dog new tricks. Becoming more comfortable and knowledgeable every day I fly and shoot and from the forum. Weather has not been agreeable the last week.

Right - DNG is the generic format that DJI uses to save raw images. What you refer to as RAW is not one format - it's a variety of proprietary formats used by those camera manufacturers who choose not to use DNG. What do you find you miss with the DNG files?

Reactions: georgerandybass
Right - DNG is the generic format that DJI uses to save raw images. What you refer to as RAW is not one format - it's a variety of proprietary formats used by those camera manufacturers who choose not to use DNG. What do you find you miss with the DNG files?
Well said.

Experience is what I miss.

Capturing an aerial image is not like taking the typical landscape image. Or interior point of interest image. Angle of view, height, time of day... when I take a landscape image I may visit the location several times and at different times. Have not had that luxury with aerial.

I suspect that is my primary weakness. Need to fly and capture. Perhaps I will gain confidence. :)

Well said.

Experience is what I miss.

Capturing an aerial image is not like taking the typical landscape image. Or interior point of interest image. Angle of view, height, time of day... when I take a landscape image I may visit the location several times and at different times. Have not had that luxury with aerial.

I suspect that is my primary weakness. Need to fly and capture. Perhaps I will gain confidence. :)

As a photography tool, I just regard these things as flying cameras and I use them in a very similar way to a regular camera.

Reactions: georgerandybass
GadgetGuy, @Meta4
The good news. I have learned something from both of you. While my method WAS effective and met the needs of my clients (digital) if I hope to have my images printed in large format I need to change how I capture images.

You each certainly have a lot to offer technically.
The 40MB RAW DNG still photos from the M2P will always be far superior for large format printing than any still frame grabs from the 4K video, assuming you captured the precise framing you wanted in a still format DNG. Even your lossless TIFF saved video frame grab was only 30MB in size, but was just the equivalent of a large format internegative taken of a print, when you no longer have access to the original negative.

Nothing you have previously learned about photography and video changes just because the camera is now on a flying tripod. Hence, our surprise that you assumed it did, and your assumption that you merely lacked experience at drone flying to understand the basics of photography. Hopefully, we have cleared that up for you. Everything photographically is still the same, when it comes to how to capture the best image for large format printing. Capture the largest original image with the most data possible. That will always be a still DNG, and not a 4K video frame grab.

The 40MB RAW DNG still photos from the M2P will always be far superior for large format printing than any still frame grabs from the 4K video, assuming you captured the precise framing you wanted in a still format DNG. Even your lossless TIFF saved video frame grab was only 30MB in size, but was just the equivalent of a large format internegative taken of a print, when you no longer have access to the original negative.

Nothing you have previously learned about photography and video changes just because the camera is now on a flying tripod. Hence, our surprise that you assumed it did, and your assumption that you merely lacked experience at drone flying to understand the basics of photography. Hopefully, we have cleared that up for you. Everything photographically is still the same, when it comes to how to capture the best image for large format printing. Capture the largest original image with the most data possible. That will always be a still DNG, and not a 4K video frame grab.
You Said, "Nothing you have previously learned about photography and video changes just because the camera is now on a flying tripod."

I do not shoot on "Auto" with my DSLR. I do shoot on "Auto" with my Drone. Do you know the difference between auto and manual on a DSLR? That has changed. If my ground level shoot required that I shoot in “Auto” I would decline the project. I want 100% control of the shutter, ISO & focal point.

You said, "your assumption that you merely lacked experience at drone flying to understand the basics of photography."

Not the basics of photography. The capture and presentation of images of angles and lighting at 300 feet up is different than standing on the ground. Can you acknowledge that?

Where you a photographer before you became a world-renowned expert on aerial photography? If so, did you struggle with the way you captured images? Or did you find that a camera is a camera, they all just take pictures?

In addition, you may not realize that only a very, very small percentage of clients print on large format. That would be something discussed at length prior to taking a project.

This is becoming a tedious conversation. It’s like discussing photography from a professor with no actual experience. Strong grasp on the theory, but no practical experience.

One last point, the cameras on my drones are very small and light. You cannot change lens or manipulate lighting as desired. Knowing that, are their capabilities equal to my Nikon with multiple lens? No, they are not. But my DSLR does not fly.

That's a great website George, and a main interesting work focus.

So you generally take mostly street view photos for Google, in your local area ?
Also the internal shots of some places like they have now ?

I visited your photos pages and liked them very much.
Thank you for your kind words!

Over the last 10 years I have captured over 1,200 Google Street Views. Camera is always on a tripod for Street View & point of interest photography. At one time it was 80% of my income. Today it is about 50%. Point of interest, portrait, video editing and web development/management has increased.

And you?

As a photography tool, I just regard these things as flying cameras and I use them in a very similar way to a regular camera.
For years I have held my camera or had it placed on a tripod. Feel I have lost control of the camera holding a joy stick! :) Flying, capturing and processing all I can to overcome that feeling. More excited about the capabilities the more learn!

Work 2 businesses, so a recreational drone pilot.
Mostly video of places I visit, interested in more photos, but the M1P is a bit more limited there,.
Just have to choose the right places, times of day, and compose photos to suit the aircraft more I think.

You Said, "Nothing you have previously learned about photography and video changes just because the camera is now on a flying tripod."
I do not shoot on "Auto" with my DSLR. I do shoot on "Auto" with my Drone. Do you know the difference between auto and manual on a DSLR? That has changed. If my ground level shoot required that I shoot in “Auto” I would decline the project. I want 100% control of the shutter, ISO & focal point.
The obvious question is: If shooting auto is such a problem, why do you do it from your drone?
The capture and presentation of images of angles and lighting at 300 feet up is different than standing on the ground. Can you acknowledge that?
That's not something that I've found.
The principles are the same but the photographer has a lot more options.
Where you a photographer before you became a world-renowned expert on aerial photography? If so, did you struggle with the way you captured images?
Or did you find that a camera is a camera, they all just take pictures?
I had many years lugging cameras at ground level and underwater before taking to the air.
There was a learning curve for the aspects of drone flight but the photographic side wasn't anything new.

The obvious question is: If shooting auto is such a problem, why do you do it from your drone?

That's not something that I've found.
The principles are the same but the photographer has a lot more options.

I had many years lugging cameras at ground level and underwater before taking to the air.
There was a learning curve for the aspects of drone flight but the photographic side wasn't anything new.

It's really just a very tall tripod.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChickenOverload