DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavik Waypoint Co-ordinates question

RossB

Reactions
Hi Guys,
Mavik newbe taking delivery of MPP + goggles in a week.

What I would like to do is fly over a specific point, waypoint it, and return to take-off point. Read that waypoints co-ordinates and enter the co-ords into my handheld GPS unit. Then set a "Go To" on the hand held unit and ride my quad to that specific waypoint.
Any thoughts on the best way to do this, I'm still undecided as to whether use DGI GO 4 or Litchi at this point, so I'm flexible. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Ross

If you're a new pilot I would not play with Litchi yet

The simplest way is to just take a photo. The coordinates will be embedded in the EXIF data which is easily accessible with free software such as Irfanview and others.

If you're a new pilot I would not play with Litchi yet
Thanks Anthony. I should have mentioned in my original post that I realise the waypoint could be created in the Waypoint Mode, creating a mission etc, but I was hoping for something easy and quick.
Ross

The simplest way is to just take a photo. The coordinates will be embedded in the EXIF data which is easily accessible with free software such as Irfanview and others.
Thanks 53-63-6f-74-74, but is that something that can be quickly done in the field. And could you please explain the steps in the procedure?

Thanks 53-63-6f-74-74, but is that something that can be quickly done in the field. And could you please explain the steps in the procedure?
You could do it on the spot, but it would be a little bit cumbersome. Images are saved (cached/copied) to the mobile device in the DJI Go folder (on Android) and contain the same GPS data as do the images stored on the Mavic SD card. You would need another app installed on your mobile device to access the EXIF data which contains lat/long. Litchi has an option to show coordinates in real time. You could do it that way and just take a screen shot.

You could do it on the spot, but it would be a little bit cumbersome. Images are saved (cached/copied) to the mobile device in the DJI Go folder (on Android) and contain the same GPS data as do the images stored on the Mavic SD card. You would need another app installed on your mobile device to access the EXIF data which contains lat/long. Litchi has an option to show coordinates in real time. You could do it that way and just take a screen shot.
Thanks, the Litchi option certainly would seem the quickest. Sorry if this is an obvious question can screenshots be taken when wearing the DJI Goggles? and where are they saved and how quickly can the screenshot be retrieved, when entering the co-ords on the handheld GPS unit.

Thanks, the Litchi option certainly would seem the quickest. Sorry if this is an obvious question can screenshots be taken when wearing the DJI Goggles? and where are they saved and how quickly can the screenshot be retrieved, when entering the co-ords on the handheld GPS unit.
I can't speak for the goggles. I'd say you'd have to see the mobile device. Android devices all differ but I can tell you that on my Sony Z3v I can just long press the power button, select screenshot, then immediately view it or retrieve it later from the gallery. Your device will differ as far as the screenshot routine.

Screen shots on most (if not all) phones are saved into your general photos (same place your phone camera pictures go), you just pull up photos, look at the picture, and type the info on it onto your GPS.

I can't speak for the goggles. I'd say you'd have to see the mobile device. Android devices all differ but I can tell you that on my Sony Z3v I can just long press the power button, select screenshot, then immediately view it or retrieve it later from the gallery. Your device will differ as far as the screenshot routine.
Gallery! That’s that Android word I was looking for;)!-CF

I'm using a Samsung 7 and the screenshot routine is to push 2 buttons at the same time, normally it's a 2 handed operation, so may be a little tricky when fitted in the controller. Anyway, I appreciate your suggestion of using the Litchi App and the screenshot function to capture the co-ordinates. I will just have to try it and see if it's doable.
Ross

Just had an idea. Using the Litchi App where the co-ordinates of the desired waypoint are displayed on the screen. If taking a screenshoot was difficult, I could use a voice recorder and just read off the co-ords from the screen and just replay them when entering them into the handheld GPS unit.

On my Samsung Galaxy S8+, I can do a single handed, hand edge swipe across the screen to do a screen capture.

On my Samsung Galaxy S8+, I can do a single handed, hand edge swipe across the screen to do a screen capture.
Thanks Mark, on reflection the G7 has that option as well but I find it a little hit and miss at the best of times. I would imagine it would be quite difficult while wearing Goggles.
Ross

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djiNonMini