DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Max Altitude in Restricted Area

Trust me it was a number of phone calls back and forth between myself and the FCC. Each time I called I would get a different person and a different answer as the type of license I needed. Finally got it resolved. Unfortunately (maybe fortunately) I haven't been in the situation where I needed to try radio contact.
Yea, that’s one way to limit the numbers.

After I thought about it more I realized that FBO’s and other ground personnel get a license without being a pilot.

Yea, that’s one way to limit the numbers.

After I thought about it more I realized that FBO’s and other ground personnel get a license without being a pilot.

Those are all covered in detail in the link I posted above.

Reactions: Camino Ken
That's a pretty common experience. Unfortunately I'm not convinced that you ended up with accurate information - 47 CFR Part 87 is not at all ambiguous on this subject. But if the FCC has carved out some kind of accepted method for this then it would be really good to know - I'm guessing that it would be hopelessly over-optimistic to ask if you got that determination in writing?

For the record - I operate under subpart M - Aeronautical Search and Rescue Stations.
No nothing in print form except the license. I explained to the FCC rep exactly what I wanted it for and what my FAA authorization said. After much checking the lady at FCC said this was the license needed so hopefully she was correct.

By the time I went through all of the hoops the reason I need flight authorization had passed so I never purchased a hand-held radio. ☹

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jlhdez