DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Max wind speed for flying

all the specs are in the manual,there is no such thing as a safe limit ,

the issue with wind speed is it is constantly changing ,due to elevation,topography,and weather patterns

as you fly the conditions will change quite rapidly in a very short time and what was rellevent 10 mins ago could be totally different ,also it is not just a constant wind speed ,the most difficult winds to deal with are sudden gusts, that come and go these will cause a wind warning to appear even if they are below the acceptable limits, because of the drones reactions to the changing conditions

the wind warning that pops up on the screen,is just that a warning,it is generated by the IMU in response to info it gets from the ESCs ,barometer,accelerometers,GPS based on the parameters programed in the IMU in order to keep the drone in a stable position in the sky so if it is getting buffeted around by the wind it lets you know its not happy

Wind is something you’ll figure out as you go. No way to have all the tricks up your sleeve at this point. I see wind warnings more often than I care to see, but that message has its purpose. Watch the speed indicator and the radar that’s on the screen. The horizon line on the radar will give you an idea of which way the wind is moving and a rough idea of how much the aircraft is adjusting to that wind.
There are apps that provide wind info, but like the weather man on the afternoon news, they can get it wrong. I tend to trust what the aircraft is telling me and watch what information is on the screen.
Take your time and have fun!

Yes I know they are in the manual, I was asking for peoples personal experiences.
I am getting wind warnings at what I consider quite low wind speeds, 10 - 15mph
10-15 mph is not low for something that only weighs less than 5lbs on average. The motors are working harder to keep positions, which means the battery is working harder (hotter) to keep up with the motors. This is why people tend to miss take the drones ability to fly certain distance and make it back.

Reactions: old man mavic
I personally don’t fly anything over 20 mph winds and even that’s pushing it. I keep it low when I do. On windy days I take out the big boy. E1346FF4-0EA8-4F6F-873B-F085C9818B2F.jpeg

The horizon line on the radar will give you an idea of which way the wind is moving and a rough idea of how much the aircraft is adjusting to that wind.

The 'attitude' bowl is one of the best features on the Go4 dashboard I feel.
Any drone using the Go4 app has it.
I just hope Go4 has a long life, and not replaced by Fly in future, as it doesn't have a lot of the telemetry of Go4, including the attitude bowl.

Mavic 2 pro - what in your experience is the safe limit for windspeed during flight?
It's not that simple. There's no single number for a safe/unsafe windspeed.
What matters is what you do with the drone, how you fly in the wind.
You could have a very safe flight in a 22 knot wind (if you stayed close or flew upwind with a return downwind).
Or you could lose your drone in a 12 knot wind if you flew too far downwind and couldn't make it home because of the reduced speed flying home against the wind.

If you are trying to shoot anything cinematically I personally find it difficult if the winds are over 12-13 miles an hour

If I see the top of the tree's swaying back and forth at all. Mavic zoom sleeps for the day.
Steady state wind is not so bad. I prefer to fly below 15 KPH. (8 - 9 knots or below.)
It will handle more, however I just don't find it nearly as enjoyable.
Also, I check the winds aloft on the aviation weather and it will show how strong the wind gradient is as you ascend.

Reactions: Drgnfli
Yes I know they are in the manual, I was asking for peoples personal experiences.
I am getting wind warnings at what I consider quite low wind speeds, 10 - 15mph
My experience has been with the Mavic 2 pro it does give spurious wind warnings at times.

It seems to be based on gusts but my advice is when you start seeing them be very aware of what is going on at altitude. Your estimation of the wind at altitude may not be good.

If there’s any question about the wind don’t go too far down range just fly close in.
Personally I don’t care to fly with a wind for me it’s just not fun.

Reactions: Drgnfli
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philip Chura