DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Maximum range tests

Mavic-Markie93

Reactions
I just bought the Mavic 2 Zoom and was curious about maximum range on this little beast.

I owned the Phantom 3 Pro for the past three years and spent $500 on the FPVLR dual-amp booster kit and was getting consistent 3 to 3.5 mile range on that setup, but the biggest obstacle was the battery life which was around 15 or 16 minutes. So even on a perfectly calm day and ideal flying conditions (ie, flat terrain with no obstacles), my personal record distance on stock batteries was 4.2 miles.

So naturally, I bought my Mavic 2 Zoom this week and was really itching to push it to it's limits. Well yesterday we had perfect flying weather in northern Ohio (very calm) and I got this little beastie out to 4.3 miles on the first try and then 4.5 miles on the second try and still had 7-8% battery on return landing! I used Sport Mode all the way out and back and I assume that's the best mode for long range flying.

I'm tempted to try breaking the 5.0 mile barrier but that will be REALLY dicey since I think I would barely make it back with maybe 1-2% battery. Luckily, my test range has multiple emergency landing spots in case I have to abort and make a quickie landing to save the drone. So I think I'm gonna go for broke.

Overall, I am VERY impressed with the OcuSync 2.0 since I had perfect FPV quality at 1080p the whole way out on both flights. I would never get that with the P3 Pro's older Lightbridge technology.

You did that stock?

Yeah everything bone stock !!

But it was under nearly perfect conditions --- basically no wind and very flat terrain. Truth be told, I did get some FPV breakup at around 4.3 miles but it never blanked out completely. Overall, the OcuSync is rock solid out to 4 miles as long as you dont have obstacles or radio interference blocking the signal.

Reactions: Drone_guy
I just bought the Mavic 2 Zoom and was curious about maximum range on this little beast.

I owned the Phantom 3 Pro for the past three years and spent $500 on the FPVLR dual-amp booster kit and was getting consistent 3 to 3.5 mile range on that setup, but the biggest obstacle was the battery life which was around 15 or 16 minutes. So even on a perfectly calm day and ideal flying conditions (ie, flat terrain with no obstacles), my personal record distance on stock batteries was 4.2 miles.

So naturally, I bought my Mavic 2 Zoom this week and was really itching to push it to it's limits. Well yesterday we had perfect flying weather in northern Ohio (very calm) and I got this little beastie out to 4.3 miles on the first try and then 4.5 miles on the second try and still had 7-8% battery on return landing! I used Sport Mode all the way out and back and I assume that's the best mode for long range flying.

I'm tempted to try breaking the 5.0 mile barrier but that will be REALLY dicey since I think I would barely make it back with maybe 1-2% battery. Luckily, my test range has multiple emergency landing spots in case I have to abort and make a quickie landing to save the drone. So I think I'm gonna go for broke.

Overall, I am VERY impressed with the OcuSync 2.0 since I had perfect FPV quality at 1080p the whole way out on both flights. I would never get that with the P3 Pro's older Lightbridge technology.
I took mine 16000 feet out over the open woods in Alabama.
When I got the “go home” message, I chickened out and came back. Plenty battery left

...I used Sport Mode all the way out and back and I assume that's the best mode for long range flying.

Usually Sport Mode is not the most efficient speed to obtain max distance. For the original Mavic Pro, the optimal speed was around 30 - 32 mph. It's probably about the same for the Mavic 2. If you are trying to "go for broke", I would try to keep the speed in the 32 -35 mph range.

Try it and let us know how it goes.

Reactions: WAXMAN
I took mine 16000 feet out over the open woods in Alabama.
When I got the “go home” message, I chickened out and came back. Plenty battery left

Yeah if you are new to long range flying then I don't blame you for playing it safe. But after you get addicted to the distance, it becomes an adrenaline rush to keep pushing your little bird out further and further. Plus, if you fly in the same place over and over, you get more familiar at what battery percentage you need to turn around and head home, based on wind conditions. For example, yesterday I had a slight tailwind so I knew I could do the flight out to around 45% battery remaining because the tailwind would add some speed on the way back.

Usually Sport Mode is not the most efficient speed to obtain max distance. For the original Mavic Pro, the optimal speed was around 30 - 32 mph. It's probably about the same for the Mavic 2. If you are trying to "go for broke", I would try to keep the speed in the 32 -35 mph range.

OK thanks for the info. I will try a slower speed like you suggest --- keeping max. speed around 35 MPH and that give me more battery.

Of course, I have to assume flying in Position Mode activates all the sensors so that might chew up more battery power?

Sport mode no bueno....i know the new mavic 2 does around 30 or 31 in p mode its probably the most efficient. Have u tried with sensors off? Sport def kills the battery to fast. U would have gotten farther!

Fly P mode, should get 5-5.5 miles out and return safely, careful on the battery don’t run too long with 0% or battery will be damaged. You can fly 6 miles out and return but you’ll be stressing the battery on return those last moments of flight.

Have fun,
Paul
100% agree......... also they don’t give these batteries away

Fly P mode, should get 5-5.5 miles out and return safely, careful on the battery don’t run too long with 0% or battery will be damaged. You can fly 6 miles out and return but you’ll be stressing the battery on return those last moments of flight.

Not sure what you mean by "don't run too long with 0% or battery will be damaged" ??

If I am down to 0% the birdie is falling out the sky --- sure way to damage a battery!

I find 6 miles out a little hard to believe, even on P-mode.

OK thanks for the info. I will try a slower speed like you suggest --- keeping max. speed around 35 MPH and that give me more battery.

Of course, I have to assume flying in Position Mode activates all the sensors so that might chew up more battery power?
I fly in P-mode with all the sensors turned off that saves battery...

Reactions: WAXMAN
At 10% it will indeed try to land but it doesn't disable your throttle, only biases it so it normally descends. Therefore you can keep it up.
At 0 there's still power as the system adds a cushion to limit wear on the battery. Eventually it will quit though.

Not sure what you mean by "don't run too long with 0% or battery will be damaged" ??

If I am down to 0% the birdie is falling out the sky --- sure way to damage a battery!

I find 6 miles out a little hard to believe, even on P-mode.

In that case, I’ll delete my posts on your thread if you don’t want to believe me.

Many of us have flew our Mavic 2 Pros belond 6 Miles and returned safely to landing point in P mode. I don’t recommend it though, can damage battery.

Ok, I’m deleting my post since you find it hard to believe

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa