DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Maximum range tests

Billie Kyle did a 6mile out video, unfortunately for him it was on a tailwind out and headwind back. Sadly the Mavic 2 Pro never made it home and is now swimming with the fishes.

He could have easily made that flight if he had more experience and knew how to fly under those conditions.

He's experienced. Probably just got carried away and waited too long to return home. After all, he did not return when he was prompted to. Also he ran on electrons (equivalent of fumes) for quite some time, found a closer alternate landing site and still fell around 100ft short.

He should have went out and try to retrieve it.

He should have went out and try to retrieve it.
He also has an Inspire 2... imagine he did range test with that..

Apparently already ordered another one, kid must be loaded.

If doing a range test over water, always in a headwind heading out, only do it in a tailwind if over land or you have a way to retrieve the drone if it doesnt make it home. Or just dont do them at all and watch Youtube, full of videos of adventurous people with money to burn :D

Reactions: tiparoch
Some of my best flights have been tailwind going out, you just need to know when to turn around.

Mavic Platinum stock record:

Some of my best flights have been tailwind going out, you just need to know when to turn around.

Mavic Platinum stock record:
And what do you do if the headwind picks up in speed on your return trip?

And what do you do if the headwind picks up in speed on your return trip?
Fly over fields where you can easily land.
RTH height can be set as low as possible and then descend below radio signal range to avoid winds higher up.

Fly over fields where you can easily land.
RTH height can be set as low as possible and then descend below radio signal range to avoid winds higher up.
Not everybody has a field to fly over, some only have water.. Risky as it is.

Not everybody has a field to fly over, some only have water.. Risky as it is.
If water is the only choice, go in small steps. The RPM display on the RC is extremely useful to gauge wind, and so is the attitude bubble.

If water is the only choice, go in small steps. The RPM display on the RC is extremely useful to gauge wind, and so is the attitude bubble.
That's true but winds can pickup, I think it's just safer to stick to headwinds unless you love the thrill of it.. you're more likely to get it home safe.

I understand what you mean by RPM display - that is a good indicator of wind speed but what is "attitude bubble"? Usually wind speed is higher at higher altitudes but just knowing the height above ground does not indicate a wind speed. Thanks!

The tilt/roll indicator. In sport mode or if you power up in sport mode, where you see the power % bar graph wrap around the outside.
I understand what you mean by RPM display - that is a good indicator of wind speed but what is "attitude bubble"? Usually wind speed is higher at higher altitudes but just knowing the height above ground does not indicate a wind speed. Thanks!

Don't buy range ext. I can fly very far and only have enough battery to get back, so I don't know why you would need them. I can fly 5 miles easy, but any farther u are out of vlos anyway.
I just bought the Mavic 2 Zoom and was curious about maximum range on this little beast.

I owned the Phantom 3 Pro for the past three years and spent $500 on the FPVLR dual-amp booster kit and was getting consistent 3 to 3.5 mile range on that setup, but the biggest obstacle was the battery life which was around 15 or 16 minutes. So even on a perfectly calm day and ideal flying conditions (ie, flat terrain with no obstacles), my personal record distance on stock batteries was 4.2 miles.

So naturally, I bought my Mavic 2 Zoom this week and was really itching to push it to it's limits. Well yesterday we had perfect flying weather in northern Ohio (very calm) and I got this little beastie out to 4.3 miles on the first try and then 4.5 miles on the second try and still had 7-8% battery on return landing! I used Sport Mode all the way out and back and I assume that's the best mode for long range flying.

I'm tempted to try breaking the 5.0 mile barrier but that will be REALLY dicey since I think I would barely make it back with maybe 1-2% battery. Luckily, my test range has multiple emergency landing spots in case I have to abort and make a quickie landing to save the drone. So I think I'm gonna go for broke.

Overall, I am VERY impressed with the OcuSync 2.0 since I had perfect FPV quality at 1080p the whole way out on both flights. I would never get that with the P3 Pro's older Lightbridge technology.

Has anyone tried doing this test over water? Like from a beach...I would assume if on a calm day there would be no obstructions/interference for a far flight. I'm just too chicken to do it myself! lol

I was just at the Outer Banks in NC and saw a ship way out over the ocean. Flew out to it and it was 2.6 miles out. Full bars all the way out. Wanted to try to go further but it was "breezy". The rest of my stay it was really windy, so kept it close.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allen25