DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Maybe Good to know before you register your drone..maybe

The drone I fly for both recreational and part 107 has both registration numbers on it. I have not read all above, but if the 107 drone only had a commercial registration, it had to be commercial use from the ranger's point of view. If it had both, it would be easier to claim recreational use on those flights.

The drone I fly for both recreational and part 107 has both registration numbers on it. I have not read all above, but if the 107 drone only had a commercial registration, it had to be commercial use from the ranger's point of view. If it had both, it would be easier to claim recreational use on those flights.

You might want to remove the 336 registration - it's not compliant with 14 CFR 48.200 to have both on the aircraft.

Do I need permission from the FAA to fly a UAS or drone for recreation or as a hobby?

There are two ways for recreational or hobby UAS or drone fliers to operate in the National Airspace System in accordance with the law and/or FAA regulations
Option #1. Fly in accordance with the Special Rule for Model Aircraft. Under this rule, operators must:
  1. Register your drone or UAS with the FAA
  2. Fly for hobby or recreational purposes only
  3. Follow a community-based set of safety guidelines
  4. Fly your drone within visual line-of-sight
  5. Give way to manned aircraft
  6. Provide prior notification to the airport and air traffic control tower, if one is present, when flying within 5 miles of an airport
  7. Fly a drone or UAS that weigh no more than 55 lbs. unless certified by a community-based organization
Option #2. Fly under the FAA's Small UAS Rule (14 CFR part 107). Under this rule, operators must:
  1. Register their drone or UAS with the FAA as a "non-modeler" <<<<<non-modeler
  2. Obtain an FAA Remote Pilot Certificate
  3. Follow the operational requirements (PDF) of Part 107
Nobody noes what the rules are unless you own a drone.

I have a question about UN-registering a UAS: what if I register my drone, then sell it to someone later to upgrade. Then the buyer gets busted for harassment or flying in restricted airspace or something. I've never seen anything which would allow me to remove my name and personal information from association with that aircraft. Admittedly, I haven't looked too hard, but I'd like to be sure there's an out before I register my bird.

My apologies if this question was asked and answered elsewhere.

New to the drone world and find the section 107 & 336 discussion interesting and confusing. But I'm left wondering if the National Park service point will be moot, or maybe consolidated, soon. This is from the FAA Register your drone page:

*Section 336 was repealed by the FAA Reauthorization Act of 2018. Changes are forthcoming in 2019 and will be updated here. In the meantime, please follow former guidelines.

Curious to see the latest...

Everything I have read appears to allow one to choose if they are flying as a hobbyist even if Part 107 Certified. If the flight is conducted as a hobbyist then no ticket able offence would have been created in your situation.
How is the forest ranger supposed to be able to verify that the 107 was "just flying for fun"? I believe his assumption was correct and based on what is stated in the rules at the forest service site (forest service rules for uas) it is pretty clearly stated; "Individuals and organizations that fly UAS on National Forest System lands must follow FAA guidance(link is external) – FAA guidance stipulates that UAS not interfere with manned aircraft, be flown within sight of the operator and be operated only for hobby or recreational purposes. The FAA also requires model aircraft operators flying UAS within five miles of an airport to notify the airport operator and air traffic control tower. The FAA’s model aircraft provision apply only to hobby or recreation operations and do not authorize the use of model aircraft for commercial operations. " - It is assumed that by definition under 107 you are commercial. That's the way it is and it is one of those "gothcha's".

So brings up a point I ran into the other day wondering if anybody has insight on this. I was flying with a friend in a national forest and a forest ranger stopped us and though we were both flying for recreational purposes my drone is registered under 336 and his is registered under 107.

Because my drone was registered as a recreational vehicle I was told to “carry on.” However because my friends drone was registered as a comercial aircraft he was given a ticket for not having a permit to opperate a comercial vehicle on US Forest Service land.

We both thought it was hellas weird but does anybody know if you are a 107 Pilot can you fly your drone with 107 registration for recreation but be subject to 336 regulations if you are just flying for recreation or do you need to have an additional 336 registration to be subject to 336 rules?
It seems to me that the ranger is seriously reaching here. Here in NH there are numerous roads crisscrossing the White Mountain National Forest. By this rangers logic any commercial truck, tour bus, or any other commercial vehicle, would need a permit to drive through the forest on its way to other parts of the state. I have an outfitters permit to work in the WMNF, and the only time it comes into play is when I actually have paying clients with me (I lead landscape photography workshops). If I were flying my 107 drone for recreational purposes, and received a ticket I’d certainly be working up the forest service food chain until I got some answers as to how/why the “license plate” on my drone makes a difference?

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
New to the drone world and find the section 107 & 336 discussion interesting and confusing. But I'm left wondering if the National Park service point will be moot, or maybe consolidated, soon. This is from the FAA Register your drone page:

*Section 336 was repealed by the FAA Reauthorization Act of 2018. Changes are forthcoming in 2019 and will be updated here. In the meantime, please follow former guidelines.

Curious to see the latest...
While 336 has "technically" been relealed we are told to follow 336 until the new regs come out which could be many months away.

As stated you can only have ONE registration per vehicle.

I have a question about UN-registering a UAS: what if I register my drone, then sell it to someone later to upgrade. Then the buyer gets busted for harassment or flying in restricted airspace or something. I've never seen anything which would allow me to remove my name and personal information from association with that aircraft. Admittedly, I haven't looked too hard, but I'd like to be sure there's an out before I register my bird.

My apologies if this question was asked and answered elsewhere.

If registered as a HOBBY operator just remove the Reg# from the aircraft because they are tied to YOU the operator not the aircraft itself.

If you're registered as a Commercial operator you go to
FAADroneZone
find the aircraft in question in you Inventory list, click the 3-dots to the right of it and select CANCEL. Then remove the # from the aircraft and call it a day.

Reactions: Thomas B
How is the forest ranger supposed to be able to verify that the 107 was "just flying for fun"? I believe his assumption was correct and based on what is stated in the rules at the forest service site (forest service rules for uas) it is pretty clearly stated; "Individuals and organizations that fly UAS on National Forest System lands must follow FAA guidance(link is external) – FAA guidance stipulates that UAS not interfere with manned aircraft, be flown within sight of the operator and be operated only for hobby or recreational purposes. The FAA also requires model aircraft operators flying UAS within five miles of an airport to notify the airport operator and air traffic control tower. The FAA’s model aircraft provision apply only to hobby or recreation operations and do not authorize the use of model aircraft for commercial operations. " - It is assumed that by definition under 107 you are commercial. That's the way it is and it is one of those "gothcha's".

Your underlying assumption is incorrect - Part 107 is not, by definition, just commercial. You should read the law before making such broad and incorrect statements. You could start with Part 107 itself, specifically 107.1. Part 107 covers all civil sUAS operations in the US and, while you can claim the Part 101 exemption from it for purely recreational flight, you are not required to do that. You could also run the FAA user identification tool, which will tell you that recreational flight is fine under Part 107.

Beyond that, it's not your responsibility to prove that you are flying recreationally, and so unless the ranger had a (valid) reason to believe that the operation was commercial then he had no business issuing a citation.

Your underlying assumption is incorrect - Part 107 is not, by definition, just commercial. You should read the law before making such broad and incorrect statements. You could start with Part 107 itself, specifically 107.1. Part 107 covers all civil sUAS operations in the US and, while you can claim the Part 101 exemption from it for purely recreational flight, you are not required to do that. You could also run the FAA user identification tool, which will tell you that recreational flight is fine under Part 107.

Beyond that, it's not your responsibility to prove that you are flying recreationally, and so unless the ranger had a (valid) reason to believe that the operation was commercial then he had no business issuing a citation.

I think the issue is @sar104 that most of the non-drone flying public, as well as government officials apparently, don’t understand this and I’ve personally witnessed a citation given for this misundstanding. My original question or suggestion was, given that there IS this misunderstanding, is it worth it or even good practice for 107 pilots to suck it up and pay the $5 for a 336 registration to avoid this all together.

Btw still no response to my request for clarification. They either have no idea and are scrambling to find an answer or are ignoring it.

I just finished registering my mavic pro under part 336 I thought that they would at least ask for the serial number of the ac.

I think the issue is @sar104 that most of the non-drone flying public, as well as government officials apparently, don’t understand this and I’ve personally witnessed a citation given for this misundstanding. My original question or suggestion was, given that there IS this misunderstanding, is it worth it or even good practice for 107 pilots to suck it up and pay the $5 for a 336 registration to avoid this all together.

Btw still no response to my request for clarification. They either have no idea and are scrambling to find an answer or are ignoring it.

Agreed, and that's one way to deal with it, but then you would need to be able to switch registration numbers on the aircraft - you can't just label it with both.

I just finished registering my mavic pro under part 336 I thought that they would at least ask for the serial number of the ac.
Commercial Registration is for a specific aircraft (serial #) but hobby is tied to the operator and not a specific aircraft. As a hobby operator you can apply the same Reg# to all HOBBY aircraft you own.

So brings up a point I ran into the other day wondering if anybody has insight on this. I was flying with a friend in a national forest and a forest ranger stopped us and though we were both flying for recreational purposes my drone is registered under 336 and his is registered under 107.

Because my drone was registered as a recreational vehicle I was told to “carry on.” However because my friends drone was registered as a comercial aircraft he was given a ticket for not having a permit to opperate a comercial vehicle on US Forest Service land.

We both thought it was hellas weird but does anybody know if you are a 107 Pilot can you fly your drone with 107 registration for recreation but be subject to 336 regulations if you are just flying for recreation or do you need to have an additional 336 registration to be subject to 336 rules?
This is interesting...I have registered 336 paid my $5 and am now studying for my 107...Can you have/be covered under both??

This is interesting...I have registered 336 paid my $5 and am now studying for my 107...Can you have/be covered under both??

If you have Part 107 then you can fly under Part 107 or 336 (Part 101). The 336 registration is only for 336 flights, but the Part 107 aircraft registration covers both. You can only put one registration number on an aircraft though.

It's a very good question and has generated a great discussion. I'm very curious to hear the outcome.

How is the forest ranger supposed to be able to verify that the 107 was "just flying for fun"?

I see your point! Something I hadn't thought about and will have to keep in mind.

However, the park ranger could have asked his intent. If the pilot said "I'm taking pictures to sell on my personal webpage", then it's commercial. If the pilot said just flying for fun, then no ticket was warranted.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+