DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Measuring local wind pressure

My mistake! I thought it was web based - havent used it so what do I know? I thought it was like UAV Forcast.

Does it tag the readings with elevation and position?

Can you post a sample output from the wind data?

Thanks!

You could build your own aerodynamic model of course. I'm assembling a data set for the M2, but there are numerous variables - pitch, roll, airspeed, direction of travel (aircraft FOR) etc., so for most people it will be much easier just to use Airdata's calculations.

Reactions: AMann
Nice! Will it output a numerical bearing for wind direction?

It would be awesome to make a 3-D model based on flying the UAV in a grid, say over a hill or around the building with that. But I guess you would need constant wind Or to be really accurate.

Incredibly impressive: single sample results in time, in prescribed flight path.
I see this measurement being such a minuscule probing into a vast air environment. Assumptions that it represents the vast air environment could be challenged erroneous. In sea we used kites called drouges but in air we sprinkle flakes weightless and track by rangefind.

The boundary condition drone is fixed. That means energy possession is fixed and weight is fixed. Payloading relative velocity indication instrumentation will load drone. Maybe better to rely on drone's attitude to grasp relative velocity. Ive noticed marked speed bursts when drone fights headwind (nonsport). So craft is aware.
I have a kit drone that I built, it uses DJI NAZA V2 FC. After configured and flying stable, I mounted a GoPro low on the bottom. The drone lost control during flight and found a large thorny bush, upon inspection, the shift in the center of gravity(CG), confused the flight controller (FC)it thought it was leveling the craft, but instead it was flying horizontally rapidly. I would be concerned to mount anything on my Mavic.

Well I was starting to make a data model for this but Airdata looks like they have a pretty good system going. @AMann is there anything that air data doesnt have that youd wan't?
Nice! Will it output a numerical bearing for wind direction?

It would be awesome to make a 3-D model based on flying the UAV in a grid, say over a hill or around the building with that. But I guess you would need constant wind Or to be really accurate.

I started building a data model before I saw that Airdata does a pretty nice job of it. The data on Airdata is a much lower resolution then the aircraft actually records however. Before I abandon this project you wanna take a look and see if there's any information there that is not on Airdata that would be useful?

Wind Analysis.xlsx

The raw data page is all the data the Mavic recorded in one flight. The cleaned data page is automatically pulling the data from the raw page and deleting entries that are worthless like if theres no gps location data or height data ect. Its programmed to query the raw data page to look for the data it wants but theres no reason it couldnt query another workbook or folder or webpage or any other data source.

Well I was starting to make a data model for this but Airdata looks like they have a pretty good system going. @AMann is there anything that air data doesnt have that youd wan't?

I started building a data model before I saw that Airdata does a pretty nice job of it. The data on Airdata is a much lower resolution then the aircraft actually records however. Before I abandon this project you wanna take a look and see if there's any information there that is not on Airdata that would be useful?

Wind Analysis.xlsx

The raw data page is all the data the Mavic recorded in one flight. The cleaned data page is automatically pulling the data from the raw page and deleting entries that are worthless like if theres no gps location data or height data ect. Its programmed to query the raw data page to look for the data it wants but theres no reason it couldnt query another workbook or folder or webpage or any other data source.

Uou know, this would be really helpful for wildfire behavior analysis as well - I don’t have the contacts I used to have with the Forest Service anymore , but I wouldn’t be surprised if they are also using Airdata for testing winds aloft.

As for myself, I’d use it for wind analysis of wind turbine sites and for air quality monitoring... so Wind speed, direction, time, GPS coordinates, and elevation would be important variables to record.

I have a kit drone that I built, it uses DJI NAZA V2 FC. After configured and flying stable, I mounted a GoPro low on the bottom. The drone lost control during flight and found a large thorny bush, upon inspection, the shift in the center of gravity(CG), confused the flight controller (FC)it thought it was leveling the craft, but instead it was flying horizontally rapidly. I would be concerned to mount anything on my Mavic.

The Mavics can handle it
817C651B-4F60-4B53-9557-F2804C469B03.gif

What utility is the valued instantaneous wind speed? I value predicted wind forecast to stay away from flying.

What utility is the valued instantaneous wind speed? I value predicted wind forecast to stay away from flying.

Do you mean the realtime measurements the Mavic is recording? That’s part of it’s flight stability algorithm. It doesn’t really need to be recorded, but I imagine DJI wanted to use it as a ‘black box’ for warranty purposes, but also made the Mavic more flexible for both recreational and professional uses.

Besides, it’s nerdy cool! :)

Here use this. This thread is discussing the use of drones to calculate and archive wind speed using a drone for research purposes. Why? I leave that to the researchers

@AMann or anybody else, this is a noob question but the drone records cardinal directions in degrees

N=0 or 360
E=90
South=180
west = 270

I got that but when someone says " the wind is blowing 13 degrees north" are they just reiterating that 13 degrees is north or are they saying "the wind is blowing 13 degrees FROM north." Like if the wind was blowing 93 degrees would you say "the wind is blowing 93 degrees east" or would you say "the wind is blowing 3 degrees east?"

@AMann or anybody else, this is a noob question but the drone records cardinal directions in degrees

N=0 or 360
E=90
South=180
west = 270

I got that but when someone says " the wind is blowing 13 degrees north" are they just reiterating that 13 degrees is north or are they saying "the wind is blowing 13 degrees FROM north." Like if the wind was blowing 93 degrees would you say "the wind is blowing 93 degrees east" or would you say "the wind is blowing 3 degrees east?"

You are right, for us it’s FROM.

N=0 or 360
E=90
South=180
west = 270

Wind directions are where the wind is blowing from.

Do you mean the realtime measurements the Mavic is recording? That’s part of it’s flight stability algorithm. It doesn’t really need to be recorded, but I imagine DJI wanted to use it as a ‘black box’ for warranty purposes, but also made the Mavic more flexible for both recreational and professional uses.

Besides, it’s nerdy cool! :)
My envision is scanning, akin to collide sensory, detection of meteorlogical inclements to protect mavic air (hail, fog, mist, rain, wind) user and or auto initiate appropriate response. As usual, it costs craft more weight and more juice.
Cool is novelty. Inclement meteorology conditions protection is akin to night vision essentiality.

My envision is scanning, akin to collide sensory, detection of meteorlogical inclements to protect mavic air (hail, fog, mist, rain, wind) user and or auto initiate appropriate response. As usual, it costs craft more weight and more juice.
Cool is novelty. Inclement meteorology conditions protection is akin to night vision essentiality.

I’m waiting on a miniature LiDar unit that can scan 360 around the Mavic for obstacle avoidance. I suppose it could detect rain and hail and all that. By then hopefully they will all be weather proof so maybe it won’t matter though.

I’m waiting on a miniature LiDar unit that can scan 360 around the Mavic for obstacle avoidance. I suppose it could detect rain and hail and all that. By then hopefully they will all be weather proof so maybe it won’t matter though.

Maybe a mini spectrum analyzer to see if that macaroni guy on top of the temple is real gold? If so, then a grab to pinch off a bit of it at a time for Pie pizza money. ;)

Maybe a mini spectrum analyzer to see if that macaroni guy on top of the temple is real gold? If so, then a grab to pinch off a bit of it at a time for Pie pizza money. ;)

I already checked... it’s actually gold foil covered chocolate. Still good to eat but the worst part? Totally hollow?
8409A197-3F41-4914-8252-8F7B897530FA.jpeg=17A4B710-4897-4CEA-82A3-D7B6E8EDDFDC.jpeg

Reactions: AMann
Good smarts! They'll feature air breathing intake moisture separators for waste heat removal. Its secretive articulations already founded however I've pressed that suggestion be incorporated as it shouldn't impact overall craft weight and juice (cpu gpu blower incurs differential pressure losses overcoming the moisture separator's entrainment corridor, an energy setback yes, but with entity's ingenious implementation marvel, it can triumph patentable exclusive rights to entity. The moisture separator principle of operation is deflecting liquidous and semi-vaporous particulates owing to their increased momentum. Otherwise the impeller cooling cpu gpu radiator will eventually be residence fouled and or chemically changed by introduced atm foulants)

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J