DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mech Error - loss of control

I don't own a Mavic yet.
But I do know that a lot of people don't read or understand the instructions when calibrating.
I recall on the P2 range (using the primitive phantom assist), the moment you hit calibrate, the readings will be off centre showing its true readings (potentiometers are never perfect). What you then need to do is move the sticks slowly around to all the corners so the software can then know the max positions and it will then average out where dead centre is. Some people didn't hit apply so it never registered the new calibration. Are people not reading the instructions correctly or is it clearly a hardware issue??

Directly following instructions, moving sticks slowly. Can't win.

What you then need to do is move the sticks slowly around to all the corners so the software can then know the max positions and it will then average out where dead centre is. Some people didn't hit apply so it never registered the new calibration. Are people not reading the instructions correctly or is it clearly a hardware issue??
It doesn't appear to be caused by user error. You can see an example of what is happening here:

A few DJI employees responded in the DJI Mavic forum. They don't seem to know what's causing this issue though.

The issue in the video is slightly different than mine. For me, the resting position of the sticks are always not calibrated. Hence, why it shot in a backwards direction. I've attached a screenshot.

Attachments

• IMG_0117.PNG
    IMG_0117.PNG
    918.5 KB · Views: 52
A few DJI employees responded in the DJI Mavic forum. They don't seem to know what's causing this issue though.
Cheap Chinese potentiometers possibly?
Looking at the quality of the bearings that DJI have used historically I can't image they are using 4096 step high resolution gimbals in their remotes.

I suspect this is either an assembly issue with the pots not centred or random bad/incorrect value pots.

I have seen before when companies order many thousand of a component sometimes there can be bad ones or incorrect ones that make it into the mix

I suspect this will be a very limited issue with initial batches until DJI weed out the cause and rectify.

Regardless it will take time and will get resolved as they won't want to ship with issue like this but it is all part of the fun of a production ramp up.

Unforeseen things that affect production.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I suspect this is either an assembly issue with the pots not centred or random bad/incorrect value pots.

I have seen before when companies order many thousand of a component sometimes there can be bad ones or incorrect ones that make it into the mix

I suspect this will be a very limited issue with initial batches until DJI weed out the cause and rectify.

Regardless it will take time and will get resolved as they won't want to ship with issue like this but it is all part of the fun of a production ramp up.

Unforeseen things that affect production.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
Could be a batch out of tolerance - unfortunately no possible way to fix via firmware so those unlucky ones will need a hardware swap.
Of course, DJI's track record of actually admitting there are any problems (part of Chinese business culture) means 'There is no problem'

Whelp i think I need to order a backup bird to fly since my p3 is down ...

I think I'm headed in the same direction. I just received my MP this morning. After having seen videos attributed to lack of remote calibration, I decided to do one. I did it nice an slow, filling out all the blue. Upon completion, I charged the main battery to 100% and after turning it back on, I see the "MECH ERR". I have not tried to recalibrate. I'm currently applying a firmware update. Hopefully that (or a subsequent calibration) will take care of it. Either way, I'll post here.

Just a follow up... After the update completed, the error was gone. Just flew the maiden voyage and am so pleased. FWIW, the firmware update change log indicated a fix to the remote calibration procedure.

When I recalibrated my rc after firmware update, it took several times… first takeoff was like yours, had to use phone, Go app, to land because no control on Remote Control. Recalibrated again, filled in all lines on recalibration screen, etc, then took off.. Mavic would only fly backwards and to one side, so I landed quickly and did another recalibration. This time I went very slowly and carefully, and it worked! So my advice is to try again very slowly. The recalibration is different from the P4 and Inspires, and was very aggravating for me.

I saw a video on youtube that shows exactly that, they went really slow around in square-patterns until the square was a solid outline. Still waiting on mine so I can't verify anything, hope that that is the solution...

I never had that problem...looks like firmware fixed it

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

To be honest guys I think you are experiencing all these issues because YOU ARE CALIBRATING WHEN IT IS NOT REQUIRED, and then introducing errors during the calibration. DJI SPECIFICALLY says to only calibrate when the app TELLS YOU TO.

DJI SPECIFICALLY says to only calibrate when the app TELLS YOU TO.
I've used many DJI products and I can tell you the app definitely does not always tell you to calibrate when needed.

For the Mavic Pro it does.

EDIT: Page 50 of the owners manual states "Only calibrate the compass when the DJI Go app or status indicator prompt you to do so".

Page 23 says Quick Calibration - "Use quick calibration when the DJI Go app notifies that vision sensor calibration is required".

The owners manual doesn't even mention calibrating the control sticks....no mention at all.

Regarding IMU calibration DJI Support says "All our drones are calibrated in the factory, so you don't need to perform calibration out of the box." Do not calibrate "unless there are abnormal flying patterns for the drone."

Last edited:
EDIT: Page 50 of the owners manual states "Only calibrate the compass when the DJI Go app or status indicator prompt you to do so".
This is bad advice. I think they are trying to prevent people from calibrating before every flight. DJI isn't known for being a wordsmith.

You should also calibrate the compass when you take it out of the box and after installing new Mavic firmware.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242