DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Metro Vancouver BC Canada Pilots

hi guys, so new member, now living at Sunset, near Main and 49, but in few weeks moving to downtown.
can you tell me good spots to go fly a bit

Reactions: lolo780
well downtown,as i will soon move there,but also anywhere where i can get with public transportation

Checking in from Maple Ridge! Currently Im grounded due to a busted camera but with this weather I NEED to get up again... video games just aren't cutting it

Also anyone know if the FB Group Vancouver Drone and UAV pilots is any good?

Marcus

Another "kamikaze" from Richmond, open to anything, have time for everything..except the 1544502442734.png

Hello all, I'm here too. I've flown a couple times out at deer lake park, south-west corner.
Is that the only"seems"to be legal place to fly?
thxs

Reactions: lolo780
Anyone interested in going for a flight some time? Message me and we can go for a coffee.

In Coquitlam with a DJI phantom 3, Mundy park soccer field used to be a good place when I had my DJI 2....don't know how's the action there anymore. Haven't been there since September.

Hello all! Just purchased my first drone, a Mavic 2 Pro. I’ve done a lot of RC before but haven’t flown a drone ever. Just downloaded the UAV Forecast app. Does anyone know the local bylaw for flying drones in Richmond. I’ve read the new Transport Canada rules effective June 1st and wanted to know if these were the only rules governing flying in Richmond. I did see someone flying a Phantom back earlier this year over at No. 6 Road & Blundell; is that area still okay?

Hello all! Just purchased my first drone, a Mavic 2 Pro. I’ve done a lot of RC before but haven’t flown a drone ever. Just downloaded the UAV Forecast app. Does anyone know the local bylaw for flying drones in Richmond. I’ve read the new Transport Canada rules effective June 1st and wanted to know if these were the only rules governing flying in Richmond. I did see someone flying a Phantom back earlier this year over at No. 6 Road & Blundell; is that area still okay?

The new rules state you need a license(basic or advanced) to fly a drone heavier than 250 grams which your Mavic 2 Pro is heavier than that. On top of that you should know the rules on how far you need to fly from an airport in this case YVR and the type of Air Class you are if you are in Richmond which is class C. Which means you need a clearance from YVR control tower to fly. I highly suggest you attend a ground school for drone operation to give you a good understanding and the tools to find out where you can fly safely around Vancouver and beyond. You will need the course in order to pass the basic exam as it’s not that easy.

Direct answer for your question is you have to be 5.6 km , better 6 km form any airport/helipad so just make those circles on the map and fly outside with all other conditions satisfied, see below.

Rules: Flying your drone safely and legally - Transport Canada
For enthusiast flying you just have to register here https://gart.tc.gc.ca/GetAccess/Saml/SSO/Init? GAREASONCODE=-1&GARESOURCEID=ReverseProxy&GAURI=https://gart.tc.gc.ca/secure/UASIMS-SGISASP/eng/apply-pilot-certificate/service?_gc_lang=eng&Reason=-1&APPID=ReverseProxy&URI=https://gart.tc.gc.ca/secure/UASIMS-SGISASP/eng/apply-pilot-certificate/service?_gc_lang=eng
and pass basic exam.
Whole explanation : Knowledge Requirements for Pilots of Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems 250 g up to and including 25 kg, Operating within Visual Line-of-Sight (VLOS) (TP 15263) - Transport Canada

I am too in Richmond , PM me ,lets meet in Starbucks (2/Blundell or?)

Last edited:
The new rules state you need a license(basic or advanced) to fly a drone heavier than 250 grams which your Mavic 2 Pro is heavier than that. On top of that you should know the rules on how far you need to fly from an airport in this case YVR and the type of Air Class you are if you are in Richmond which is class C. Which means you need a clearance from YVR control tower to fly. I highly suggest you attend a ground school for drone operation to give you a good understanding and the tools to find out where you can fly safely around Vancouver and beyond. You will need the course in order to pass the basic exam as it’s not that easy.
Don’t know how taking a course would help me pass this Basic Exam because I’d say 30% of the questions had no relevancy whatsoever for a pilot wanting a Basic sRPAS Certificate! With the help of 3 YouTube tutorials & skimming over the recommended publications on the Transport Canada Drone Safety webpage & using common sense & logic, I managed to achieve an 82% score. The most important result of this whole exercise was that I got a perfect mark of 14 out of 14 in Section 1. Air Law, Air Traffic Rules & Procedures, which I thought in my own honest opinion was the only relevant part for someone taking this Basic Exam.75290

Last edited:
New Mavic Air pilot in Richmond, and also just go my Basic Pilot Certificate (what a pain!!!) on Saturday.

Flew for the first time on Saturday afternoon at a closed construction site in South Van, only to find out later that this was not a legal site.

Be very careful which app/map you use to determine safe fly zones. The DJI map does not properly reflect the NAVCAN restricted zones. See the two maps below, DJI on the left, NAVCAN on the right. Very different. According to the DJI map, areas such as downtown, Stanley Park, Steveston are OK, but they are not OK according to NAVCAN.

DJI map.jpg NAVCAN map.jpg

I use the NRC Drone Setup Tool which is the bottom photo. Looks like I’ll have to go out to Burnaby or Coquitlam but first have to check their bylaws.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard