DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Michigan pilots here

I agree........ I not putting down private airports, runways, etc. but, common sense tells me that getting ahold of some of these private owners may be a P.I.A. greatly reducing any flying time and/or ruining a great day to fly.

Not to mention that included in these airports are old
Heliports or airstrips that are no longer used and have been idle
For years.

Not to mention that included in these airports are old
Heliports or airstrips that are no longer used and have been idle
For years.

Exactly........ I want to fly responsibly without looking over my shoulder. Right now I'm just looking for a place I can get some practice in without any headaches. That's why I wanted to introduce myself to the local private airports near me. I.M.O. it would be a great start with us communicating when I want to fly.

just curious - do you happen to have a local r/c plane and heli club up there? if so, it would be worth it to ask if you could join. the club i belonged to has 3 days a week for open fly.

just curious - do you happen to have a local r/c plane and heli club up there? if so, it would be worth it to ask if you could join. the club i belonged to has 3 days a week for open fly.

That's a good question...... I haven't heard of any but, I'll try to find out. Thanks, Ray

Looked around and couldn't find anything. I wouldn't mind just some empty state land to practice on but, that's even difficult around me. Birch Run, MI has area's in which is open without airports within 5 miles that would be awesome for practice .......

Has anybody here flown around Glen Arbor, MI? I understand that it's legal to fly the shoreline in that area only. Surrounding area's are off limits due to being Sleeping Bear Dunes National Shoreline. If you've flown there, could you point me to the specific area that's allowed? My time is limited in which I live approx. 200 miles away. Your info. would sincerely be appreciated. In addition, if you know of any other area's in upper lower Michigan, please feel free to add them as well. Thanks and Happy Flying, Ray :)

Last edited:
Has any body here flown around Glen Arbor, MI? I understand that it's legal to fly the shoreline in that area only. Surrounding area's are off limits due to being Sleeping Bear Dunes National Shoreline. If you've flown there, could you point me to the specific area that's allowed? My time is limited in which I live approx. 200 miles away. Your info. would sincerely be appreciated. In addition, if you know of any other area's in upper lower Michigan, please feel free to add them as well. Thanks and Happy Flying, Ray :)

I just looked at the faa chart and B4UFly app and glen arbor looks like a perfect spot to fly. Not only is it not controlled airspace, there are apparently no airports within 5 miles.

You can fly all you want along the coast and over the sleeping bear dunes. It is my understanding that you cannot land/takeoff or control the aircraft from the national park but you can fly mavic over the park as long as you are outside of it.

268F142B-1CD2-4713-A108-D11044558DEB.png

384C4B7F-1924-41BC-AB0D-E176441DEF26.png

Has any body here flown around Glen Arbor, MI? I understand that it's legal to fly the shoreline in that area only. Surrounding area's are off limits due to being Sleeping Bear Dunes National Shoreline. If you've flown there, could you point me to the specific area that's allowed? My time is limited in which I live approx. 200 miles away. Your info. would sincerely be appreciated. In addition, if you know of any other area's in upper lower Michigan, please feel free to add them as well. Thanks and Happy Flying, Ray :)

I just looked at the faa chart and B4UFly app and glen arbor looks like a perfect spot to fly. Not only is it not controlled airspace, there are apparently no airports within 5 miles.

View attachment 43721

Also, other than national parks and the state Capitol, you can fly pretty much anywhere in Michigan as long as you follow the faa guidelines.

Cities, parks, and other government entities are prohibited from regulating drones. Only the state legislature or the feds can make any rules regarding drones in Michigan.

You can fly all you want along the coast and over the sleeping bear dunes. It is my understanding that you cannot land/takeoff or control the aircraft from the national park but you can fly mavic over the park as long as you are outside of it.

View attachment 43721

View attachment 43722
Thank you for taking the time for the maps and info.! I'll have to find out exactly where in Glen Arbor I can fly...... don't want to fly off someone's private property. I've been through the area before, but it's been a while. I would imagine there are some pull off's along the shoreline. I also have AirMap which should help keep me off the NFZ National Shoreline. I'm going to print off your pic's. Thanks again for the help and Happy Flying, Ray Thumbswayup:)

Checking in from Dearborn here! Also spend time at cabin on Higgens lake in the summer!!

Also, other than national parks and the state Capitol, you can fly pretty much anywhere in Michigan as long as you follow the faa guidelines.

Cities, parks, and other government entities are prohibited from regulating drones. Only the state legislature or the feds can make any rules regarding drones in Michigan.
Except Genesee County Parks, they think they are special. Any news from Judge Farah’s courtroom on MCDO vs Genesee County Parks?

Except Genesee County Parks, they think they are special. Any news from Judge Farah’s courtroom on MCDO vs Genesee County Parks?

they do seem to think they are special.

We’ve had what I believe is our last court appearance, nov 8? Each side was granted 10 days to file amended briefs/additional arguments. Both sides turned in their “homework” more or less on time. The county didn’t make any new arguments, just a rehash of their original.

Now we wait for the judge to issue his opinion. He left open the possibility that he may do so before thanksgiving, but said he would like to definitely issue it before the end of the year.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest