DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MicroSD choice

Last edited:
You can read up on the card Rob just posted.
Good card and I highly recommended it.
204F41E2-67C8-4C2E-85BA-3C8E1053EAFB.png

Reactions: Former Member
Which ever you buy
1 USE A REPUTABLE BRAND (I use Sandisk ie one with a known good reputation )

2 BUY FROM A REPUTABLE SOURCE (there are LOTS of counterfeit cards out there and amazon have a lot of 3rd party suppliers or "shops")

3 TEST IT BEFORE FLYING (Even Sandisk could ship a faulty card but at least they have lifetime warranty)

4 CHANGE CARDS when you change the battery ie before each take off. Then you only stand to loose as a maximum the last flight ie less than 20 mins of useable footage.

The Drone is going to be worth over $1,000 (and if you add in accessories probably over $2,000) so why risk your footage for the sake of saving $10 on a cheaper card?

As alluded to before, regardless of size get the fastest card you can. I also prefer Sandisk. I have used all sizes, but 64G is plenty even with 4k and will save you a few bucks.

Reactions: jagraphics
As alluded to before, regardless of size get the fastest card you can. I also prefer Sandisk. I have used all sizes, but 64G is plenty even with 4k and will save you a few bucks.

I agree totally (at the moment) the 64GB are at the sweet spot for cards. price/capacity They can hold far more than a single flight but I change them every flight. Therefore I have six 64GB cards. One per battery and a couple of spares. (ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS have a spare memory card you nevee know when you will drop a micro SD "in the field" )

The advantages larger cards have is:

1 With wear leveling (built in to the pro sandisk cards) it spreads the writes evenly across the memory blocks. Therefore they last longer ie more reliable for longer.

2 if you always change the cards every flight in an emergency you will always have some spare storage space.

No matter what storage size SD card you want - for whatever reason, there is really only one important and relevent spec' you should be looking for on the card, and that's the 'UHS Speed Class 3' logo - which is the U with a 3 inside it. U3 cards have the ability to sustain a minimum write speed of 30 MB/s (MegaBytes per sec'). That's the capability that you need for the card to accept a continuous stream of HD video data without being overloaded and dropping video frames. Pretty much every other spec' on the card is irrelevent in regard to the recording of video by the drone.
XCII cards are expensive, because they have a faster read speed, and with the right card reader and PC, can be an advantage in that the time taken to get the video from the SD card to the PC is reduced - but XCI or XCII have no impact on getting the data onto the card in the first place!

Reactions: Goldenmember1000
I got a 128gb Sandisk u3 a2 card for my mavic pro , but reading some of the replies should I have got a 64gb one ??? I still have receipt so can change it if it’s not ideal for videos

No matter what storage size SD card you want - for whatever reason, there is really only one important and relevent spec' you should be looking for on the card, and that's the 'UHS Speed Class 3' logo - which is the U with a 3 inside it. U3 cards have the ability to sustain a minimum write speed of 30 MB/s (MegaBytes per sec'). That's the capability that you need for the card to accept a continuous stream of HD video data without being overloaded and dropping video frames. Pretty much every other spec' on the card is irrelevent in regard to the recording of video by the drone.
XCII cards are expensive, because they have a faster read speed, and with the right card reader and PC, can be an advantage in that the time taken to get the video from the SD card to the PC is reduced - but XCI or XCII have no impact on getting the data onto the card in the first place!

I noticed some U1 cards are advertised as being 100 MB/s.

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultr...s=1&s=pc&sprefix=Micro,electronics,216&sr=1-4

Will these be fast enough for all 4K formats of the M2P or is it safer to go with the U3 cards?

Some dealers are throwing in 128 GB U1 Sandisk cards so it's kind of tempting to try that one. Though others are throwing in the Samsung Evo Plus:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H5WT1H9/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=AKQJFK3IW4Y5Y&psc=1

First off, I sincerely doubt it handles 100M bytes/s. Bits maybe, but not bytes. Could be a typo or the writer not paying attention or ignorant about the significance between B and b.
If they meant 100Mb/s, it isn't sustained write which is what's required.
You need a card with U3 certification.

I noticed some U1 cards are advertised as being 100 MB/s.

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-microSDXC-Memory-Adapter/dp/B073JYVKNX/ref=sr_1_4?crid=72D3UP3R8LS2&keywords=micro+sd+card&qid=1552791993&refinements=p_85:2470955011,p_n_feature_two_browse-bin:6518305011&rnid=6518301011&rps=1&s=pc&sprefix=Micro,electronics,216&sr=1-4

Will these be fast enough for all 4K formats of the M2P or is it safer to go with the U3 cards?

Some dealers are throwing in 128 GB U1 Sandisk cards so it's kind of tempting to try that one. Though others are throwing in the Samsung Evo Plus:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H5WT1H9/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=AKQJFK3IW4Y5Y&psc=1
Yes - you are experiencing the confusing marketing that all these little symbols and markings mean on the cards ... The card might be able to do 'something' at 100 MB/sec (and that probably should be 100 Mbit/sec rather then 100 MByte/sec) - but it's not clear exactly what!
This is why I state that you should look for a 'U3' logo on the card - as that certifies the card to 'UHS Speed class 3' - which is the measurement of what the data WRITE rate will NOT go below, when the card is being written to ... This is not so critical when you have a still-shot camera that buffers data onto the card - But when you are writing a continuous stream of HD video data to the card in real-time, then you need to know you are not hitting it with more data than it can handle. U3 cards will sustain a minimum write speed of 30 MBytes/sec (240 Mbit/sec), where U1 card will only sustain a minumum write speed of 10 MBytes/sec (80 Mbit/sec).
Bottom line - Go for proven brand SD cards, and only U3 rated.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tarizzman