DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mid air restart

Is it possible to restart the Mavic Air 2 in the air, if you do an emergency stop at 400 feet, and let it free fall 200 feet, can you restart the propellers? I've seen that this is possible with the Mavic Pro, but I don't know if this is the case with the Air 2.
It's also possible with the Mavic Mini. I hit a wire on a large hydro tower and was able to restart it before she hit the ground. So if the mini can do it I'm sure the Air 2 can.

Havok, can you post the flight logs please, both the DAT and txt logs if possible? I love to have a look at them. Thank you

In what scenario would you ever want/need to even try this other other than just being inquisitive?
I was wondering that myself. I was also thinking about parachuting from low altitudes. With parachuting you have a minimum altitude at which you can launch your chute. From 400ft, you can only afford about 2 to 3 seconds of free fall. So it does make you wonder why?

Then I realized, even though they mentioned things like in case you have a bird attack, or if a full size aircraft suddenly shows up, I think the REAL reason is for these guys that like to try to break altitude rules and records.

if you can ascend as high as possible and shut motors off with just enough battery to restart and land safely, you could go much higher Than if you had to fly the drone down.

In what scenario would you ever want/need to even try this other other than just being inquisitive?

I have had the need several times. I live close to a Military and Civilian airfield on Departure/Approach. Most of the Civilian flights are at about 300' to 400' over my flying zone. The military guys are anywhere from tree top to maybe 300' doing their N.O.E. (Nap Of the Earth) training.

It is very hard to hear, let alone see them coming. So when they train I am normally down. Unfortunately my tower refuses to tell me when these exercises are happening. But they do know that I routinely fly my area at 200' AGL and below.

So while I have never done a restart midair, I am prepared to ditch it with a CSC. It would be much better to do a CSC to fall 100' and restart to recover than to lose my aircraft on impact. As it is I modified (Hacked) 2 of my DJI's for "Ludicrous" :p decent and climb for safety just in case.

My M2Z isn't able to be modified..or at least I haven't found the toggle within hacking software...so there is a chance that I may have to either ditch it to avoid a midair..or try the CSC restart...which I would try obviously....IF I ever get to that point I will revisit this thread :)

Is it possible to restart the Mavic Air 2 in the air, if you do an emergency stop at 400 feet, and let it free fall 200 feet, can you restart the propellers? I've seen that this is possible with the Mavic Pro, but I don't know if this is the case with the Air 2.

Yes its nothing more than a remote start , I would practice that first so you have an idea of how that works and how long.
We do it when we land on the water with the rescue Jackets. The drone shuts off completely and we restart, its the same thing.

Here you can see how remote landing works on the air 2:

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the rain and float on water.

Yes its nothing more than a remote start , I would practice that first so you have an idea of how that works and how long. (This is correct to a extent)
We do it when we land on the water with the rescue Jackets. The drone shuts off completely and we restart, its the same thing.

Getting timing of how long it takes isn't really a issue, or can be tested on a true landing vice restart using CSC in a midair. As mentioned DJI aircraft may not restart in a tumble or even off angle. And again one needs to know how to set the CSC parameter if applicable to the aircraft they are flying.

When you do a CSC for emergency stop it is still flying normally till the motors stop...so no need to know that time to equate in formula (Which is actually about 1 second). However CSC to start is (Tested again the same 1 second). But pretty much everyone who has ever done it knows how CSC works for their aircraft. So in NO way is a normal landing whether that be water or on ground then a CSC arm even close to "the same thing" as a CSC restart in air IMHO. Not even Apples to Oranges. ;)

I have had the need several times. I live close to a Military and Civilian airfield on Departure/Approach. Most of the Civilian flights are at about 300' to 400' over my flying zone. The military guys are anywhere from tree top to maybe 300' doing their N.O.E. (Nap Of the Earth) training.

It is very hard to hear, let alone see them coming. So when they train I am normally down. Unfortunately my tower refuses to tell me when these exercises are happening. But they do know that I routinely fly my area at 200' AGL and below.

So while I have never done a restart midair, I am prepared to ditch it with a CSC. It would be much better to do a CSC to fall 100' and restart to recover than to lose my aircraft on impact. As it is I modified (Hacked) 2 of my DJI's for "Ludicrous" :p decent and climb for safety just in case.

My M2Z isn't able to be modified..or at least I haven't found the toggle within hacking software...so there is a chance that I may have to either ditch it to avoid a midair..or try the CSC restart...which I would try obviously....IF I ever get to that point I will revisit this thread :)

is it not illegal to fly in that area, for that very reason?

is it not illegal to fly in that area, for that very reason?
Without getting into it...if it was even remotely illegal a DJI aircraft certainly wouldn't let me fly there...I'll attach a screen capture..you tell me what is the proper procedure for flying where I am?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200826-091706.png
    Screenshot_20200826-091706.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 34
Without getting into it...if it was even remotely illegal a DJI aircraft certainly wouldn't let me fly there...I'll attach a screen capture..you tell me what is the proper procedure for flying where I am?

Everything looks good for what your doing now but does DJI have any height restrictions ? I have 491 ft in my area.

The guy did this. That's why the drone tilted before the motor stopped.

View attachment 111322

They were asking (and so am I) how they RESTART the drone AFTER stopping the motors during the free-fall. I'm guessing you just issue the same command (CSC) - like when it is on the ground and you want to fire up the motors using just the remote. Then max throttle right after I'm assuming?

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
They were asking (and so am I) how they RESTART the drone AFTER stopping the motors during the free-fall. I'm guessing you just issue the same command (CSC) - like when it is on the ground and you want to fire up the motors using just the remote. Then max throttle right after I'm assuming?
Yes, that's my understanding.

OK, can you get them to come on here etc.etc,

BTW for those MA2 pilots that this interests you probably have to change the response mode to a CSC from the default to "anytime" or whatever that response is called in the MA2's fly app and. ...

I wish there was an option to disable it altogether. OR it should involve having to hold down one of the buttons (RTH, Fn, etc.) at the same time.

They were asking (and so am I) how they RESTART the drone AFTER stopping the motors during the free-fall.
Some people have said that the motors WILL restart in freefall, and indeed that is presumably with the normal CSC motor start. It's how I restarted my Phantom 3 in mid air.
I am not out to argue with those saying the motor will restart in freefall but I wish to pass on the experiences I have had with a Mavic Mini and an Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom.
I was, and am, reluctant to try this in real life with those drones so I simulated it, as best I can, by holding the drone in my hand an wobbling it significantly, to simulate presumed wobble in freefall. I found that occasionally the motors would restart but more often they would NOT restart.
I realise that it is not an entirely accurate simulation and maybe the drones are 'clever enough' to recognise the difference between freefall and being held in the hand but...........

If in real life the drone IS in freefall you have nothing to lose by trying for a restart and everything to gain.

With regards to what happens after a successful restart, with my Phantom 3Adv it continued to fall and at near terminal velocity. It took me a moment to realise the motors start at idle and I then gave it full throttle to halt the fall.
However, stemming from being able to launch my Mavics from my hand, simply by moving the hand holding the drone up and down, I have a suspicion the Mavics are 'cleverer' than the Phantom 3 and might realise they were falling and throttle up themselves. But erring on the side of caution and throttling up will/would not be a bad idea.
That thinking also raises one other possiblilty, with the Phantom at least, restart the motors ASAP after stopping them and allow the drone to fall with the motors at idle. I suspect the descent speed would still far exceed the normal flight maximums.
Obviously if a Mavic is clever enough to realise it is in freefall and automatically throttle up that idea is not irrelevant.

In connection with the midair motor stop and button pushes, I seem to remember mention of a button push requirement being added to the Phantom 4's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: OneQuickSix
Very interesting, I had an inspire fall like a rock from a little over 220 meters, RTH on its own after being up the side of a hill looking at deer. It lowered its landing gear and fell like a rock, i wish i had thought to try to re start the props - i just stood there open mouthed. However, i do wonder if a drone , any drone will auto rotate and slow its fall? The reason i ask is the drone was undamaged. It fell behind some trees, so i did not see it land, but it was in deep reeds, in a boggy area and completely undamaged. I changed the battery and it flew perfectly - after a considerable visual examination and test hover. In the video above it looks like the drones props are spinning, and perhaps slowing it a little? i guess in that case they would be spinning the wrong way, and i guess this could effects its attempts to re start. Anyway, interesting topic and video.

You should be fine there which means what those military craft are doing is illegal (flying tree tops). Its not like that's the deserts of Nevada. Thats a bit scary they do that there.

Side note, dont count on whether the drone lets you fly or not means its in a nfz or not. There are places that my mp2 has let me fly that it shouldn't have and other places that it should've, and didnt. I know this because I had control tower authorization next to a major international Airport, and the drone didn't ask me to enter the auth or ask me to do the automated auth, and away I went. :(

DJI's FlySafe system isn't a guarantee that flight is legal just because the drone lets you take off somewhere. You always need to be familiar with the local airspace and any TFRs that might be active.

NLD offers this. You can adjust climbing and descent speed when you buy the hack.
I cranked my M2Z up so it had 10m/s ascent and descent speed. Now that goes VERY fast so you have to be careful when landing ;)

That will work of course unless you updated the bird to the latest firmware.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman